FISH OIL
I was wondering if it is ok to take fish oil. Will it affect the dose of thryoid medication you are on?
or flax oil
Either shouldn't be a problem, just take any supplements separate from you thyroid medication.   Calcium should be taken at least 4 hours apart from thyroid meds.   I take essential fatty acids (fish oil) every day.
Any seafood product contains iodine.  When on a low-iodine diet fish (and anything ocean-based) is a no-no.  Check with your endo but, if you are concerned and have a choice, flax seed oil would be the safer bet.
sorry to ask...it may sound dumb, but does it matter if it's hyper or hypo to avoid iodine?

Too new to this,
"selma"
Hyper = avoid Iodine, which stinks for me, as I love seafood :'(
I could SWEAR Barlean's flax seed oil helped me a LOT--back about eighteen months ago when I was experimenting with the natural stuff and going to the Amish doctor. (I tried everything, was desperate for help since I had a deadbeat endo who only knew how to prescribe Tapazole and change the dose and look at the T numbers while ignoring the rest of the Graves' disease.

I'm no expert--and there are folks on here who know TONS more than me--but my understanding is that good flax, like Barlean's, is just plain good for you in general--for lots of things. It's just one of those things some of us aren't going to afford on top of all the d___ doctor bills and meds.
I take Evening Prim Rose, 1500MG, Bioten 1000MG, Centrum Silver for the calcium ( I am 30 it is for older people) as well as 2000mg of flaxseed all at night before bed!!! My Doc approved this. I have had real bad ahir loss and I needed to make sure I am doing all I can to not lose it all. I have lost half my hair plus I cut 12+ inches off. It *****. I was Diagnosed Papillary Carinoma with lymph node spread. Partial Thyroidectomy on may the 5th to be exact them a TT the 27th of may. What a trip. I take 200 MCG of SYNTHROID the Generic at 200MCG My TSH stayed at 14. I am now .42 I beleive. Just had my three month TG and TSh and I am CLEAN SO FAR!!! I had 150 Millicuries of RAI on July. To KILL the rest of the cancer.
Rodeo Queen
I have very dry skin, which has been worse since I've been having thyroid problems - I had been taking flaxseed oil, but the doctor suggested that I try fish oil instead (3000 mg/ day), as it's more easily absorbed.  It made a real difference - for the better :-)  You should probably ask your doctor, but if they have no objections, it could be quite helpful.

Take care
... oh, and if you want to take fish oil you should make sure that you buy one that says "molecularly distilled" on the bottle - this way any trace amounts of mercury, etc. will have been removed.