Thyroid Disorders Community
FNA reaction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

FNA reaction?

I had a thyroid biopsy on Tues.  Last fall my largest nodule was .7.  I am on a dose of 100 Levoxyl.   My largest nodule is now 1.7.  I have three other enlarged nodules.  1.3, 1.0 and .7.  When I went for my FNA, the ultrasound tech/nurse? said "you have many nodules".  The surgeon said " you have a really odd shaped thyroid".  The FNA was completed.  The next day I broke out in localized hives beginning at the base of my neck and radiating up to my jawline.  I was sent to the ER.  As my husband was working and urgent care is closer, I went there rather than driving into Syracuse.  I was given Benedryl and a steroid shot.  I was observed for 30 minutes and released with prednisone in case of swelling.  As of yesterday, my hives are faint, but I developed an earache (I'm not sure if this is related). I might have had two earaches over the course of 37 years.  I was called and asked to come in for a repeat biopsy due to inconclusive results.  I was told that the tech/nurse? had said right after my procedure that she doubted that a good sample was obtained on the left side as I had an unusually shaped thyroid.  Fortunately, the smaller nodule on the right side was benign.  I cancelled the repeat biopsy as the hives aren't completely gone and I'm unsure what they are a response to.  I haven't ever had a problem with hives in the past.  This morning I am still experiencing ear pain.  I feel like it is generated from my neck/jaw but can't be certain. My neck is still itching. I called my GP to follow up with an appt. Tues.  Has anyone else experienced this?
I've never had an FNA, so I can't really if this is normal or not, but I've never really heard any of our  members mention hives like that, or earache; though I could just have missed it.

I have heard of pain, along the neck and jaw.

I'm sure than someone who has had FNA will be able to answer your questions more fully.

It's great that the one nodule was benign and chances are, the others will be, too, but you really should have that repeat biopsy to be sure.