Thyroid Disorders Community
Feels like something is stuck?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Feels like something is stuck?

Hi, am finding this forum so helpful.
I have multinodular goitre, with a 10mm diametr nodule on one side and a smaller calcified one on the other side. Waiting to get biopsy and ultrasound results. For past couple of weeks I have had a feeling like there is something stuck in my throat (like a piece of food that won't go down, but is not due to food)Almost feels like when you have a cold/flu and phlegm gets in the back of throat. (sorry if this doesn't make sense - not good at describing this). When I swallow it doesn't get rid of this feeling. Is this something that anyone else has experienced?
I had my 2/3 thyroid removed( Left node and Ithsmus). I still have my right node. Anyway, my biggest complaint was that I had this walnut in my throat sensation. What it was, was the goiter was pressing on my esophagus. At times I felt like choking and at night it was worse..especially when lying on my right side.It also stated to affect my voice. The sensattion disappeared after the surgery to rmove it.
Hope this helps

ingy
Hope this helps

ingy
   I had that feeling too. I had to eat soft food and take tiny bites,otherwise i sounded like an advertisement for a Big Gulp!
   I did cut back on dairy (dairy is a tremendous phlegm creator)when I ate lunch at work so that my cough would not freak out my coworkers.I didn't need anything extra to make me clear my throat!
   7 weeks since my TT and I am happy to say it has gotten better.
   Many of us have or had this, you're not alone!

Hi, I've just been diagnosed, so I don't have alot of experience with all of this. But I do know what you mean. I have felt like my throat was tight, like if a scarf was too tight. That is a symptom of thyroid. It can also be a symptom of stress. Several years ago I felt as if I had a pill stuck in my throat. After a few weeks I couldn't take it any more and went to Dr. I figured that if a pill had scratched or even bruised me on the way down it would have been healed by then. He sent me to an ENT who sent me for an upper GI (yuck). Everything was normal so he said it was probably stress related and that my throat had just tightened up. I don't know the name of the procedure, but it was done right in the office. He sprayed my throat to numb it and then put a long tapered hose down my throat and pulled it right back out. It made me gag, but only lasted a few seconds. That night my throat was a little sore but the next morning it felt great, back to normal!

I don't know if that had anything to do with my Thyroid at that time, but it worked! I have felt it since a day here and there, but it never lasted that long.

Hope this helps
logical
Thanks for the replies - I was certain I wasn't just imagining it! I have heard of this being linked to an anxiety problem, but am not particularly anxious at the moment. will be glad when I see the specialist to see what the plan is though.