Thyroid Disorders Community
First seizure and weird TSH fluctuations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hello everyone! This may sound like an odd question, but I really am trying to figure out what to do. I have an endo. appt. in a couple days, but I want your opinion on what this could be. Now, the reason I'm not posting this in the neuro section is because I have thyroid "issues".

My question is, could hypothyroidism cause a seizure-like episode such as described below? Also, is it worth getting an MRI because of the "episode"?

A week ago I had a seizure, or something else. First my left leg jerked. Then my whole body thrust itself forward twice. About 2 minutes later I started feeling strange. I began to shake like a LEAF! I had no control over my body and my sense of reality was Twilight Zone wierd! I was consious, but my conciousness was definately altered. Luckily an RN was there and she took my pulse. Everyone thought I was hypoglycemic, but I had drunk 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of cous cous just an hour before the episode. Also, my pupils were very dilated for a good 4 hours after the attack. After the attack I felt so tired and my muscles hurt so that I slept for 20 solid hours.

I have the fatigue (sleep 15 hours a day), brain fog, lack of concentration, delayed puberty, anemia, acne, yeast infections, lactose intolerance, cold all the time, and slightly enlarged thyroid (slightly visible) of hypothyroidism.

I have had a TSH of 4.27 a year ago. Then about 2 months ago my TSH was 3.29. (The nurse refused to read me the number slowly so it could be 3.92.) My PCP is lovely, but he says that even with a TSH of 4.27, my free t4 was 1.2 and thus I had no thyroid issues. He did mono and lyme tests, both which came back negative.

I never have had my thyroid antibodies tested. Nor have I had my t3 tested.

In my opinion, yes you should have an MRI, to rule out a pitutary tumor causing flucuations in your TSH AND seizure. You should probably see a neurologist, for the seizure as well. You should certainly document all of your symptoms, physical and mental (smells, tastes, fears, panic, etc.) for your doctor visits. I have one son with epilepsy, and lost my daughter to epilepsy. Neither child had or has thyroid or pituitary issues. I am the thyroid issue, lol. However there is potential connection as both can be the result of underlying autoimmune disorders. My family has a long list of autoimmune disorders.

GOD BLESS

Shelly
I think that you need an appt with a Neurologist for further workup, Cat scans etc.  There are myoclonic seizures that are progressive and Jacksonian seizures start in a limb.  Sounds like seizure activity, but make a log of the symptoms, activities, food, etc.  This can help, MD figure things out. Sleeping alot after a seizure is normal.  I have known people who sleep alot during the day to have sleep apnea and develop seizures from lack of oxygen during the night... Important  to get a work up in addition to your thyroid workup.  Most of the time now days you see a specialist for every part of the body and it is not cheap but sounds like you are young and you can't delay this...see a neurologist and a endocrinologist.  Medical Universities are great, when you have multiple problems that are difficult to diagnosis. Plus always get a copy of your labs and other tests and take them to each doctor so they can review them and not repeat them. Also, good to compare previous tests. Good luck
A certain kind of seizure can be linked to hypothyroidism. I don't remember the name.

It's the "stare" seizures that last only a few seconds or about a minute. Some patients don't even realize they have this type of seizure because they are very un-noticable.

It's like the person is froze for a few short seconds - even eye motion - and then goes right back to normal.

Grandmal seizures are very noticable - but are not linked at the time to thyroid disease.
nice to see another "stella" floating around too.

LOL
High FT3 can cause those seizures which in actual fact is called a 'Supraventricular Fibrillation'.

It would not be a Grande Mal seizure as my Father has suffered all his life with them and me as a child and teenager suffered with Petite Mal Epilepsy.

The reason I say this is.....you wouldnt even remember 'jerking' if it was Epilepsy or a seizure.

Get to a Cardiologist and make sure you dont have prolapse of the Mitral Valve too as this is a common thing with thyroid issues and SVF's.

You may need a beta blocker (low dose ) for a while.
An EKG would pick up if the 'seizure' was epilepsy related or a seizure.

The name you are looking for Stella is.....Myexedema Coma.
actually I looked it up and the type I was thinking of is "petit mal" seizures.
These are mostly found in children but due to hormonal issues these can be present in a thyroid patient.

Below I copied and pasted the definations of certain types of seizures from my saved file.

These are listed under generalized seizures if you want to read more.

In a generalized tonic-clonic convulsive seizure (previously called "grand mal" seizure), you become rigid, and may fall if standing. Your muscles switch between periods of spasm and relaxation with jerking motions. You may bite your tongue. Your breathing is labored and you may urinate or defecate involuntarily.

In a tonic seizure, your muscles generally stiffen without rhythmical jerking. This stiffening or rigidity also involves the breathing muscles and you may cry out or moan.

In an atonic seizure (also known as a drop attack), your muscle control is suddenly lost, causing you to fall if you are standing.

In a myoclonic seizure, your limbs jerk abruptly. These seizures often occur soon after you wake up, either on their own or with other forms of a generalized seizure.

In an absence seizure, your consciousness is briefly interrupted, with no other signs, except perhaps for a fluttering of your eyelids. These seizures happen most often in children and are sometimes known as "petit mal" seizures.

In a simple partial seizure, your consciousness is not impaired, but either one limb (or part of a limb) will rhythmically twitch or you will experience unusual tastes or sensations, such as a feeling of "pins and needles," in a distinct part of your body. If a simple partial seizure develops into another type of seizure, it is often called a "warning" or "aura."

Complex partial seizures differ from partial seizures in that your consciousness is affected. This type of seizure usually begins with a blank or empty stare, and your awareness changes, even though the seizure does not involve convulsions. You may fiddle with clothes or nearby objects, wander around, and generally be confused. This type of seizure usually lasts 2-4 minutes and involves the temporal lobes of the brain, but may also affect the frontal and parietal lobes.

If either of these types of seizure spreads to involve the whole brain, your seizure is called a secondarily generalized seizure.

The more I looked over the artical - my gut says to get an MRI. If you looked over your TSH readings and they seem to be irratic - definately a check on the pitutiary would be good.

You may not even read this comment since it has been 2 years since you posted but I had my first seizure at the age of 52 (late last year) It was diagnosed as a complex partial seizure. I lost conciesness 2 time within a minute. I was unable to speak or see and although I could hear my wife yelling to me, she seemed far away. I came out of it and went into hyperventalation. I was wrung out when it was over. I slept half the time for the next 3 days. Now 4 moths later my doctor tells me my thyroid is "going to sleep". I can't help but wonder if the two are somehow related.