Thyroid Disorders Community
For how long can you stop your thyroid med before thyroid levels get af...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

For how long can you stop your thyroid med before thyroid levels get affected?

I have graves and take 10 mg of tapazol daily, which pretty much do an excellent job at controlling my hyperthyroidism. Have been taking it for a few years now without a problem.  However, I've been dealing with a bad allergic reaction for the last 2 weeks that wouldn't improve regardless a course of steroids. It occurred to me (not my allergist) that I may have developed an allergy to the tapazole, so I stopped my medication yesterday and voila! today I'm much better! anyone out there with a similar experience? having developed an allergy to tapazole after years of taking it?

The other thing is that I called my endo today to get a prescription for PTU but she's out of town and I can't reach her. Does anyone know how long can I stop taking my meds before thyroid levels get affected? what would be the equivalent of 10 mg of tapazole for PTU?

Thanks for the help!
Yout thyroid will ramp back up quickly once the meds out of your system. I was on off PTU for many years. My symptoms were mild so until the heart palpatations started again I dind't even notice the difference.

You can safely go without until your Doc gets back.

Thanks much for the reply. I was able to talk to my endo and she advised me to stop the tapazole for a week and then switch to PTU, 50 mg twice/daily. I'm supposed to start tomorrow.

This makes me wonder, which of these two drugs is better?