Thyroid Disorders Community
For how long can you stop your thyroid med before thyroid levels get af...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

For how long can you stop your thyroid med before thyroid levels get affected?

I have graves and take 10 mg of tapazol daily, which pretty much do an excellent job at controlling my hyperthyroidism. Have been taking it for a few years now without a problem.  However, I've been dealing with a bad allergic reaction for the last 2 weeks that wouldn't improve regardless a course of steroids. It occurred to me (not my allergist) that I may have developed an allergy to the tapazole, so I stopped my medication yesterday and voila! today I'm much better! anyone out there with a similar experience? having developed an allergy to tapazole after years of taking it?

The other thing is that I called my endo today to get a prescription for PTU but she's out of town and I can't reach her. Does anyone know how long can I stop taking my meds before thyroid levels get affected? what would be the equivalent of 10 mg of tapazole for PTU?

Thanks for the help!