Thyroid Disorders Community
For those who asked or wonder about Miralax ..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

YES YES YES .. it is fabulous with absolutely no dependence, taste, etc.  And, can easily be adjusted if your system changes.  You simply mix a capful into liquid .. takes a few days to work as this is a regular thing to keep one going .. not like it works in 6hrs type of product.

I was on it for 2.5yrs thru my GI who assured me it is so safe that even infants are on it and I had no problem coming off it at all or regulating it on my own according to my own needs on a daily basis and now for some wonderful reason I DO NOT NEED IT AT ALL!!!  GO FIGURE ?!

I woke up one morning and had the start of my kidney stone dilemma that lasted 2yrs with a nasty UTI infection and they think the flora in my intestines got very messed up from that infection and never went back to normal bcz a colonoscopy and all bloodwork was fine .. then a yr later we discovered my thyroid nodules and when my TSH was all over the place so was the constipation so they all realized I was SubClinical Hypothyroid even though my TSH was normal!  Since on Synthroid it has been better and now off it completely .. so next blood test should reveal alot of the TSH and/or reason if constipation is thyroid related or not.

Miralax is now OTC but many ins. plans still accept it and they have a generic at the pharmacy for $10.00/mo and if your Dr. doubles your dosing on the bottle you get two-three bottles vs. just one!

Cheryl
My 7 yo is on it and has been for quite some time now.  His pediatrician says it is completely safe also.  If your insurance won't pay for it like ours won't, Sam's Club is a really cheap place to get it.

Oh, also, unless you like thick stuff to drink don't put it in anything cold.  Room temperature works well, hot tea, coffe, or hot chocolate, something of that sort, works the best.

Dac
Good to know!!  If my symptoms return I'm going to insist on it for "those times" with my IBS.
It is o-t-c now!  You can get it in a smaller bottle than prescription .. they sell it even at the food stores in the Pepto Bismol section!

Cheryl
OK, just curious, I had a kidney stone 6 weeks ago and I "think" I had another one yesterday. I didn't go to the ER cause I had the pain meds from my 1st visit.  Were yours a "side effect" of your thyroid problems? I read how some people get kidney stones that are calcium based cause of their thyroids.

I have a f/u ultrasound tomorrow so I'm hoping they "might" find more??
Mine passed from dehydration from prep for surgery even though they had the IV going the full 48hrs after the surgery the dehydration got them churning ... this happened with another mini surgery to remove a non-cancerous growth above the thyroid incisino that was infected .. 12 hrs later!  

So I think stress + dehydration (cause it happened after colonoscopy 2yrs ago and I am terrified to go again bcz that was awful 12hrs after that nasty test but I had an atypical polyp so I better make an appt as I am 8 mos overdue tisk tisk) is a big factor to passing them

All my labs are normal .. no overproduction of calcium, parathyroids working well, etc.  Just hereditary in my case as my mom, dad, brother all had them and my mom's almost killed her with septecemia!!!

I had an IVP with contrast a few yrs ago for the stones as well as a few CT Scans .. only one brought me to the ER bcz of alot of blood and UTI with it.   I have been lucky.  More cramps/colic but bearable w/o pain meds as mine are no larger than 4mm.

Cheryl
My 11 year old son uses it as well. We mix it in his morning orange juice and it completely dissolves. I only give him 1/2 dose, though, or we have other problems!

It works quickly, too.