Thyroid Disorders Community
Free T3 too high?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Free T3 too high?

I had a thyroidectomy 2 years ago, now my TSH is 0.02 and my Free T3 is 351,  range is normal between 230 and 420 my doctor said. I  can't remember what my T4 was.  I'm on 137mcg of synthroid and 10 mcg of cytomel and the cotor told me my Free T3 is too high and to stop cytomel. But I feel better...I really don't want to. Is this normal?
I don't see anything on that lab that indicates a high T3. Only the TSH could be viewed as an idicator of stopping it in your doctors eyes and many find basing that TSH on treatment is not the best option.

To clarify - I would call the doctor back and ask directly - Is it the TSH (low) what is making you feel I should stop the Cytomel or is it really the Free T3 level telling you this?

I see you in the many cases - maybe even needing a small tweek higher in that Free T3 level you have which would require you to add in a bit more T3 Cytomel for optimal level. Althrough the FT4 must be known to really best determine this too.
Avatar n tn
I called my doctor and explained how I felt. She said to go back on the 10mcg cytomel and I'll be tested the end of October.  I was just wondering, if my T3 number goes abive range the symptoms would be hyper?