Free T4 and TSH lab results
I have hashimoto/hypothyroid.  My 10 year old son has a non-explainable weight issue, forgetfulness, dry skin, tired, etc.  So his doctor ran a thyroid test.  His Free T4 is 1.33 and his TSH is 2.310.  What do these numbers mean for his age?  Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Marian
Do you have the reference ranges for FT4 and TSH from the lab report?  Reference ranges vary from lab to lab and by age, so we really have to see those to comment.  Since you have Hashi's, and it runs in families, did they test antibodies at all (TPOab and TGab)?  Elevated antibodies would let you know if your son is developing Hashi's.
Hello! I have a 9 year old daughter who was born without a thyroid gland.Your son could definitely have a thyroid issue here. My daughter has issues with weight, is often tired, and forgetful. Dry skin is another symptom. How about joint or muscle pain! That is usually a biggy! Try taking his under arm temperature with a basal thermometer just as you wake him up. It should be approximately 97.8. This can be a good indicater if it is low (my daughter's is often in the 96 range). Make sure you have his freet3 and freet4 tested as well as the tsh and antibodies. Also test for vitamin d and b levels and total cholesterol. Make sure you get copies of labs and post all numbers and referrence ranges here. Educate yourself as much as possible (read) and begin a daily journal where you record his temperature, food, suppliments, mood, wake and bed time, and symptoms. Let me know if you have any other questions. Persue this! God didn't give us "motherly instincts " for nothing!  
I am going to check his temp this weekend.  What was your daughter's tsh and freet4 range?  Do you know what the normal range is?  If you or anyone else has any suggestions or input, please, as one mother to another, chime in on the discussion.

Thanks so much,

Marian
Good morning. Your son's free t4 range looks good. TSH  looks in range too. You still need freet3 and antibodies tested though, to get a complete picture. My daughters Free t4 is 1.26 right now. The range for Free T3 for kids 6-10 years is (2.7- 6.2).Her's was slightly elivated 6.8 with low (surpressed) TSH (under 1) so we may be cutting back on her meds slightly. However, her temp is still running low, so I am a little confused as what to do here. She is still having a few joint aches in her ankles due to her t4 dropping when Armour reformulated. We switched to Naturethroid 2 months ago and things are much better. However, I don't want to go to far in the other direction! It is such a balancing act when dealing with thyroid issues, especially with children who's bodies are constantly changing and growing!