Thyroid Disorders Community
From Family practice doc straight to surgeon..?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I went to family practice doc with fatigue, weight gain. lightheadedness, heart palps, shortness of breath, depression, soar throat...etc.   She sent me for blood work and an US of my thyroid.  Blood work "normal" (T4, T3, TSH..).
US showed 5 small solid nodules, one is a7x8x6mm solid showing calcification, and one cyst.

I have been reading, and it seem that almost everyone has been to a specialist before going to a surgeon.  I am unable to see why my family practice doctor would send be directly to UCLA surgeon.  I see him tomorrow and am set for a FNA next Wednesday.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Thanks,
Mary
My primary care doc DID NOT send me to a specialist. He ran all of the test that he needed including blood, US, & uptake. It was only after did he send me to a surgeon. My surgeon then ordered a FNA and we went from there. After my surgery did I see a endocrinologist which then ordered  the I-131 and whole body scans along with putting me on synthroid. At first I saw him every 3 mos. and now it is every 6 mos with a lab follow up. I wouldn't be concern about going to a specialist immediately. Seems like your doctor has a handle on it. I know how frustrating it is to be left not knowing about the unknown, however, my doctor told me why I was seeing a surgeon because of the test results . I am glad that I did go right away, instead of waiting to see a specialist which could take months, and then having to try to get in to see a surgeon. Let's just say that I am so grateful to my doctor and my surgeon for saving my life. I may not have a thyroid anymore, but I have my life and two of the most wonderful and caring doctors in the world.
My primary doctor recommended that I see either a ENT or Endo for my FNA with ultrasound.  I choose the ENT because I could get in sooner.  In the end it was of benefit because I did (last Thursday) have my left lobe, isthmus and a lymph node removed. I am awaiting the results.  So going directly to the surgeon was of benefit to me. The FNA was not that bad.

Good Luck
I went directly from my regular doctor (internal medicine specialist) to a surgeon.  I didn't even start looking for an endocrinologist until after my surgery.
It generally doesn't take long to get into a surgeons office, especially if it's one that your doctor refers all of his patients to. I was able to get in within 5 days. My FNA was scheduled 3days later., and my surgery was 5 days after that. I ended up having a total thyroidectomy. My endo was hard to get into. It took me months to get in because there weren't too many around and on my insurance. If I had waited for an Endo to order my FNA or US,, things might not have worked out so well. I don't think I could wait around 5 months to see him knowing what I knew. I was diagnosed and had surgery all within 2 weeks, as to waiting for an Endo for 5 months. I was diagnosed in the month of December, and my Endo appointment was in April and had to be rescheduled because he had to cancel. By then it was June. So let's just say that I'm glad that my primary and surgeon got things rolling for me. You don't tell a patient that they have cancer, and then make them wait 6 months to do something about it. Let's just say that I have a new Endo after that.
Hey Utah, nice to see ya hangin out with us. How have you been feeling? Hope all is well for ya.
Hey bet

I'm hanging in there - going nuclear (scan dose) next week . . . again.  Tg and TSH are still too high.  Having liver pain too (since the last scan dose).   Just another lovely day in paradise.  :-)
I went from family doc to ultrasound to FNA Biopsy and then immediately to an ENT Surgeon as well as concurrent I made an appt with an Endocrinologist.  As my family doc put it .. the Endo does not do surgery (slice and dice) so would be a neutral 3rd party opinion.  

The calcification is a red flag for concern ... the size is <1.0cm so not sure on the FNA but some places will do it <1.0 depending on location and if it has any suspicious features.

C~
Utah, hope all works out in the nuke department . Been there many times, people are real nice over at our nuke dept. Wish you well........................................And ChitChat, I  wish you well also....Don't you just hate having to see so many doctors before you can even get started?  Well, doc is right about the no slice and dice, just make sure you have a good surgeon.  Please keep me posted, both of you.....take care.