Thyroid Disorders Community
GOITER BEING TREATED WITH METHIMAZOLE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

GOITER BEING TREATED WITH METHIMAZOLE

TOTALLY CONFUSED..HAVE HAD A GOITER FOR 8 YRS..TREATED WITH ARMOUR THYROID..THE LAST 2 YEARS BECAUSE OF FINANCIAL REASON,AND NO INSURANCE..I HAVE NOT BEEN TAKING MEDS..OR SEEING A DOCTOR..I WENT TO A CLINIC THIS WEEK..THEY TOLD ME I HAD LOW TSH<0.1..THEY NEVER DID A T3 T4..JUST TSH..THEY CLAIM MY THYROID WORKS ''TOO WELL''..THAT IS NEWS TO ME..I AM SO TIRED..AND HAVE GAIN WEIGHT..SO WITHOUT CHECKING T3 T4..THEY DECIDED TO USE .METHIMAZOLE 10 MG ONCE A DAY..I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON THIS MED...I HAVE READ HOW MANY TREAT THEMSELVES FOR THYROID SITUATIONS..HOW DO YOU TREAT YOUR SELF?...

Do not take the methimazole!  You should never take this drug unless proven to be hyper with FT3 and FT4 testing.  Particularly you were hypo before and treated with armor.  

Methimazole is used to treat hyperthyroid.  If you use it and you are hypo you will become even more hypo and risk becoming very ill.

It is very common to have suppressed TSH even with hypothyroid, and particularly when you have been medicated with armor.

Get a second opinion.  Again, do NOT take methimazole without proper testing.
Sally..they did a T3 T4..and again claim that they are high..and i need to take my METHIMAZOLE..which i am not too happy about..the Doctor actually called me during the weekend and again..after the T3 T4 results..she claims are high..and i need to take METhimazole....they never took a FT3..or FT4 . What is the difference in the FT3 and 4...and the just T3 T4..test...i am so confused. I have had this goiter for 8 yrs..and have been advice by prior Doctors to take Armour Thyroid..which they do not dispense anymore....now they claim i am hyper..not hypo.
You need to find a different clinic....

What are your labs... post them here....

You don't just get put on anti thyroid meds - especially with a goiter...

Did they run antibody testing on you??

Frankly this is a bit ignorant of your doctors and if you start this med without knowing all that is truely wrong - you may permanently alter your function!
Hi catalina55, What are your symptoms ?  Do you have heart racing etc. ? When you say you have had a goiter for 8 years can you be more specific ?

I have Toxic Multinodular Goiter, which means that my nodules produce hormone autonomously and so my thyroid hormone level over all can not be controlled by TSH which is actually the pituitary gland that tells the thyroid to make more or less hormone, in my case my TSH is also very low because the nodules are producing too much.

That does not sound like what is goign on with you, but I can tell you that most of my symptoms are Hyper, Exhaustion, weight gain etc. but I also tent to go hyper heart palpitations can't tolerate heat seat a lot etc. Doctors don't usually ever prescribe Methemezole without a Thyroid Uptake and scan so they know what your thyroid function is. In my case I also had several ultrasounds which is what showed the 6 nodules.

I agree with Stella, you need to get your antibodies checked, there are too many unknowns here. I can tell you that I was on Methimazole and had to cut back and eventually stop taking it because it made me too hypo, however, everyone is different and I did discuss going off the Methimazole with my doctor.

Please post more of your symptoms. Have you ever had an Ultrasound?

Get more tests and go to a different doctor!

McMillan