Goiter Surgery Recovery
I'm having surgery to remove my goiter (which the doctor referred to as "impressive") on the 14th.  It is a substernal goiter and he mentioned having a thoracic surgeon on standby in case he needs to go in through the chest area.  What is the recovery period for a simple goiter removal, and what is the recovery period for a more involved surgery?

This discussion is related to Substernal Goiter Surgery.
I am going to see if Venoramoonwind can get to your post .. she had this surgery last year .. today is her first day back from vacation.  

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY!

I don't have much experience to help you but wanted to say hello!

Cheryl
HI there I had a substernal goiter removed through my sternum. It took about 6 months for it to heal and I still have a little trouble vacuuming and some things at work like breaking torque on nuts and bolts.( I am a jet engine mechanic)  Its not such a bad surgery and I have had lots of surgeries. It just takes the bone a long time to heal.
I will keep you in my prayers for you to have a simple surgery and that they wont have to go through your sternum.
Keep in touch
Love Venora
i may have to go for a surgery to remove my goiters and i want to no how long i will be in hospital for? and how long until it will fully heal?
it just depends. My first surgery I was in 3 days  Iwas off work for about 2 weeks. I was onlight duty for about 3months to heal up My second surgery is where they took out the sub sternal goiter. That took a long time cause they had to cut my sternum.
Everyone is different. I heal pretty fast as long as the bone isnt involved
Give us some  more input as to your situation and we can help you better.

You might want to make this a new post  so othere can give you their experience.
BTW welcome to the forum.
Love Venora
geting ready to have my goiter remove. is there anything i really need to know..
like hospital stay.  and i hear that people have to have two surgey.. is that right and if so why cant they do it all at the same time.
If you are scheduled to have a TT unless there is a problem most people only have 1 surgery.   I had 2 because I had some post op bleeding which they had to stop.   That's very, very rare, however.   I was in the hospital for 2 days but only because of the second surgery.   Took about 2 weeks before I started to feel somewhat human again.   I was tired and a little spacy.   I had no pain at all, not even a sore throat from the tube.   The 2 things that they watch for while you're in the hospital are bleeding and your calcium levels.   You'll have lots of blood work done.  Anyway, I'm now almost 9 months post op and I feel totally normal and way, way better than I felt prior to the surgery.   Why are you having the surgery?
about 4 year ago.they found out a had thyroin disease. i year later hashimoto
not a got a mark that came up on my neck the shape of a butterflythey did a ultasound thyroid is not biger 4cm got to go back to the dr, in 4 day to see if they will take it out
on top of that my hair is fallan hair
I had a substernal goiter removed in 08 the had did FNA on thyroid  before surgery said no cancer  waited  about 9 mths  to have surgery but was having symptoms, Surgeon did not want an emergency, so I had it done they got the goiter out and had to remove left side of thyroid  to get it out  well goiter wasn't cancer but the found cancer in the thyroid it self  still have right side now the just found another mass larger then the first same left side, surgery was great no pain tylenol if anything would due more  swelling then anything  and as long as levels stay good your out next day, now it will be different if sternum gets involved, hope that won't happen for you good luck
im 19 years old i am hazel and i have goiter..im afraid to take any medication...what should i do ..can you give any help?
I pray that all things have work for your health. Pray and believe in the healing power of Jesus Christ. The Bible says that perfect love casteth out fear.
1John 4:18
1John 4:18