Thyroid Disorders Community
Good Days and Bad Days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Good Days and Bad Days

I was diagnosed on January 26th with Hypothyroidism and began levothyroxin (levothyroxine) on the 27th.  I started feeling better within 3 to 4 days.  The weird thing is that somedays I have energy and feel good, other days I feel like I'm crashing.  Is this normal?
  • thanks (1 replies):
    not a question - just glad i found this forum. I have h...[more]
  • My Results (5 replies):
    Hi I'm just concern about the abnormal test results I go...[more]
  • Higher Doseage? (7 replies):
    My T3 & T4 levels were and have always been the normal r...[more]
  • TSH Level (25 replies):
    I went to the doctor's in August and had my TSH level ch...[more]
  • After surgery (10 replies):
    I had my Thyroid taken out in Dec. I am currently taking...[more]
It takes 4-6 weeks for you to feel the full effects of the levo....... it's possible that you could be feeling some effects from it now.  It's also common for patients to report feeling worse for a while, because the body has to get used to the idea of having the hormones it's been without.  

Do you have current lab results for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 that you could post, along with the reference ranges, since these vary lab to lab?  Any other tests pertaining to thyroid would also be helpful, along with results and lab ranges.
The only result that I got was that my tsh was 3.5 based on lab ranges of .5 to 2.5.  
Is TSH the only test your doctor is doing to diagnose and treat you?  If so, you will not be treated properly.  You need to have Free T3 and Free T4 tests as well; those are actual thyroid hormones and are much better indicators of thyroid function than TSH........

Ask your doctor for Free T3 and Free T4 tests and if s/he refuses, you need to find another, as that one will keep you ill........ been there done that.......

What dose of levo are you on?
Will do, I have an appointment first week of March I will request those tests and have her fax me over the results.  I am currently on 75mcg of levo.  Where should my levels be?
There are no set numbers that your levels should be........ it all depends on where YOU feel the best.  As a rule of thumb, it seems that many of us feel best with FT3 in the upper 1/3 of its range and FT4 in the upper 1/2 of its range.  Your medication should be dosed in such a way as to adjust FT3 and FT4 to the levels that alleviate your symptoms best.  

Right now, my FT3 and FT4 are "flip flopped", with FT4 at the top of its range and FT3 about mid, and I feel good most of the time.

Just remember, any doctor who is treating you solely, on TSH results is not acting in your best interest.