Thyroid Disorders Community
Graves Disease and Vitamin D
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Graves Disease and Vitamin D

I have Graves Disease and take Methimazole.  The Endo says I am in remission and should stay on medication indefinetely.  I also take 2,000 IU's of Vitamin D3 daily for a Vitamin D deficiency.  I have "ups and downs" of feeling good then feeling bad.  With symptoms of feeling like someone has beat me up, fatigue, hard to lose weight, and problems sleeping.  Symptoms come and go.  My question is - Does this go on forever?  I'm starting to realize that this is indeed a "disease" and I will have to deal with it for along time.  There are at least more and more good days compared to a couple of years ago where everyday was bad :o)

Thanks for any comments.
Related Discussions
773755_tn?1328123377
are you getting monitored every 8 weeks or so, with blood tests? the fatigue and retained weight sound like hypothyroid symptoms (which could be caused by too much 'zole). usual maintenance dose in remission is often less than 5mg/day. typically taken once thyroid normalises, for a year or two, or decades.
i'm not sure about the vitamin D - probably good thing.
the crummy sleep sounds more hyper than hypo, though... could also be related to cortisol (another tree to bark up).
not sure of your Graves history. find an endocrinologist you like, if you're not happy w current dr. it's important to stay on top of thyroid conditions. could be hashimoto's disease which can initially begin as hyperthyroidism then develops into hypothyroidism...
if feeling very crummy, i would get a lab test (if it's been more than 6 weeks since last test).
yes - it's a long-term or life-long condition %[ . if you can, cut back on soy, iodine, gluten, dairy.
good luck..
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank