Thyroid Disorders Community
Graves and other autoimmune disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Graves and other autoimmune disease

Help!!! Years ago I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and Diverticulitis .. Then about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis.. I also have  eczema very badly on my arms.. Now I have been diagnosed with Graves.. I am getting tired.. It is a lot to deal with.. How many autoimmune diseases can one person get?? Also I am on totoral .. For about 2 weeks now and am a little nervous about the side effects it will have on stomach and bladder. Also I do work full time and between the graves and my stomach it is hard to go to work . We need my pay.. Does anyone have suggestions on that!?? I know I could get disability but that takes forever and may get turned down because I am working. If I don't have income coming in may loose wverything.. Also how do u deal with Spouse that is getting frustrated because mine really is
Help does anyone have ideas to what I asked above
Unfortunately, once we have one autoimmune disease, we are more likely to get more than the general population is to get its first.

I am not familiar with totoral nor did I get a hit when I googled it.

Is your Graves' being treated?  Do you have recent labs to post?  If so, please do and include reference ranges that vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.
I found this article "One patient's UC success story" (google for the whole article) but this guy was about to have his colon removed his symptoms were that severe! Now he is free of symptoms on SCD (specific Carbohydrate Diet) and LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone).  I've seen these results on other blogs, videos etc.

I thought i had IC for two years but found out it was due to severe magnesium deficiency!  Graves' disease and Ulcerative Colitis are both autoimmune diseases.  The cause of  IC is unknown but is a suspected autoimmune disease. Both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism affects the skin and one of the possible symptom is eczema. Diverticulitis is not an autoimmune disease but is stated to be very common and is usually asymptomatic (no symptoms).

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and pernicious anaemia and vitiligo.  I'm looking forward to trying LDN.  LDN upregulates endorphins which regulates the immune system, downregulates proinflammatory cytokines, promotes healing and stimulates DNA synthesis.

Excerpt from American Thyroid Association - Autoimmune Thyroid Disease - Patients with autoimmune thyroid disease have an increased risk for other autoimmune diseases...

"The most common forms of autoimmune thyroid disease are Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Graves’ disease. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (also known as chronic thyroiditis) may lead to hypothyroidism, while Graves’ disease is usually associated with hyperthyroidism.

Both of these disorders may be associated with other autoimmune problems including Type 1 diabetes mellitus, Addison’s disease (adrenal insufficiency), vitiligo (loss of pigment of some areas of the skin), systemic lupus erythematosus, pernicious anemia, celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis."
Hello thanks that was all helpful.. As far as labs go the first couple I did not receive copy of. I have one from 2 weeks ago and last weeks I have not received yet. Last week my doctor called and said my thyroid levels were up . The medicine. Is tapazole 25mg a day. That is what I take
The best thing you can do right now is get into the habit of asking for a copy of all your labs.  That way, you will have your complete history in your own hands should you change doctors.  It's best to get hard copy as that will have reference ranges on it as well.

When you have numbers to post, we can help you interpret them if you'd like to post them.