Graves' disease
Hello. I'm 36 and I am almost 9 weeks pregnant. I have Graves' disease and had radiation treatment back in 2009. I hadn't been taking my thyroxine constantly for a few months as I was super stressed and now that I am pregnant haven't missed a dose. My thyroid levels are still very high and I'm worried that this will affect my baby's brain development/IQ levels. Has anyone else had similar experiences? I'm scared and worried. I lost a baby back in 2002 at 19 weeks due to severe abnormalities so I'm already a high risk factor. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much :)
Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  What is your daily thyroxine dosage?  What symptoms do you have, if any?
Hi there thanks for your reply. I just got some more bloods done on Monday and got results today. My levels have improved. My TSH is now 4.3. They say 0.3-3.5 is normal but for a pregnant woman 6-12 weeks gestation it should be 0.1-2.8. My doctor did advise that because I'm pregnant the levels may take longer to get on track. I'm just so worried that the damage has been done to my baby's brain development / IQ levels etc...

The symptoms I had before I was diagnosed with Graves was loss of weight, shaking, one eye was huge and I had severe abdominal cramping.
Sorry I also meant to say I'm in 150mg of thyroxine daily plus taking Elevit. I go back in 2 weeks for more bloods & if levels are still not right they may have to increase the dose
When you say bloods I suspect that means you are in the UK.  If that is the case, then you face some additional hurdles.  So before I get into that, please confirm your location.  
I'm in Australia   Ok I'm worried now :(
Didn't mean to get you worried.  Just to make sure you understand what is needed.  For example a good thyroid doctor will treat a hypothyroid patient clinically, by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3, the biologically active thyroid hormones, as needed to relieve symptoms, without being influenced by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results, and especially not TSH results when already taking thyroid med.  

The special hurdles I mentioned related to the UK are due to the influence of the NHS there.  According to their dictates TSH tests are all that is needed to diagnose and treat a hypothyroid patient, and T4 is the only thyroid med ever needed.  That is very wrong, but they are adamant about it and refuse to consider any other approach.  That is wrong because TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many things that it doesn't correlate well with either Free T4 or Free T3, much less correlate with symptoms.  In addition not every hypothyroid patient adequately converts T4 to the T3 needed by all the cells of the body.  

Please understand that I am male, and don't have  insight into the special needs of a pregnant lady, so I am giving you information that I give hypothyroid patients in general.  But I do think what you want to assure is that your Free T4 and Free T3 levels are at least mid-range, without regard for the associated TSH level.  So, if not tested for those you need to get that done.  Do you think you can get the doctor to do those tests for you?  If those results are not optimal do you think your doctor would increase your dosage as needed to raise those levels to at least mid-range?

In addition, hypothyroid patients are frequently deficient in Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin.  I know you are taking Elevit, but if not tested for these 3 you should try to get those done and optimize those levels as well. D should be at least 50, B12 in the upper part of its range, and ferritin should be at least 70, and some sources say 100.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really do appreciate it. I had my free T4 levels checked and they were within the required range thankfully. I am getting more blood work done in 2 weeks time and if still not any closer to the required levels for a pregnant woman then they said they would tweak my meds a wee bit
Being just anywhere within the range does not mean adequacy.  What was the actual result for the Free T4, and the range shown on the lab report?  Also, when you go back in two weeks, you should insist on being tested for both Free T4 and Free T3, along with Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin..  
16.9 for Free T4. Not sure what my other results were I'll have to get them off the doctor
The range was 9-19 for T4. Do you have an email address I can send you a copy of the results??
Sending a PM with info.  To access, click on your name and then from your personal page click on messages.