Thyroid Disorders Community
Graves disease and irrational behavior IT'S TRUE!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am a 49 year old female who was recently diagnosed with Graves Disease - My TSH is 3806, T3 total is 4.4 and T4 is 17.9. I was reading through your posts and found a few VERY interesting.  I also pretty much lost touch with reality. Unfortunately for me I am also a recovering alcoholic/addict. This condition, I now believe, had a GREAT DEAL to do with a relapse. Over this past year (2010) I have had 1/2 of my stomach removed surgically, and not for cosmetic reasons - I only weighed 155 lbs. at the time of my surgery and now weigh 106 (I'm 5' 7" tall). This disease has really messed me up! Today, I underwent raodiactive iodine therapy to kill my thyriod - 25.4 millicuries. Right now I'm in isolation for 3 days (and will be on my 50th birthday on Friday - yea!).

I can tell everyone from personal experience that Graves WILL MAKE YOU IRRATIONAL AND CRAZY!!!. Two months ago, I left my husband of 25 years with no good explanation - I relapsed, spent a month in a Rehab and was diagnosed there.

There is no question in my mind that this has played a HUGE part in the irrational behavior I have exhibited. I almost lost everything now, my job, almost my family!

IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS DEALING WITH THIS PLEASE SEEK TREATMENT!
All the best to you!!  I hope things start to look up once the RAI is over with and the graves is controlled.

Happy Birthday for friday as well!  
Well done on getting through;  I'm glad you got a diagnosis.   I'm about to have RAI too so am thinking of you in your isolation and hoping that you're seeing the way FORWARD from your 50th (birthday hugs to you) and know that being alone is different from being lonely.  I hope you (and I) can manage the isolation as a sabatical!!  

When we learn more about ourselves, we can be sure we're on the right track, and getting a diagnosis is a blessing.  Best wishes for your tomorrows.