Thyroid Disorders Community
Graves help please!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Graves help please!

What can be done to resolve graves? My husband was diagnosed with text book Graves in August 2013. Massive weight loss, tremors, diarrhea, tiredness, agitation, sweating, low sex drive, joint pain, fast irregular heartbeat, body temp hot to the touch. The most prominent is his eyes are bulging so badly he couldn't close his eyes in the shower to keep the soap out. He was a cat on a hot tin roof. He is seeing an endo who checks his blood monthly and has done no other tests. She put him on methmozole 10mg 4 pills a day and propanol for the heart beat. Over time the dose kept increasing so he's taking 40 mg a day. He was gradually improving but the eyes still bulge. Now he's experiencing tiredness again, joint pain, depression, agitation, he's constantly cold, but experiences night sweats. For the last couple of weeks he has had a sore throat and feels like something is stuck in his throat. I felt his throat today and it felt like a smaller Adam's apple under the Adam's apple. We've contacted his endo and she said feeling like something's stuck in the throat and the sore throat are unrelated to his condition. She suggested another blood test. We just had his blood work done and she keeps saying his levels are improving and there almost within normal range. Is it possible more is going on that the blood work isn't revealing? Tomorrow I'm scheduling with a different endo for a second opinion. Any thoughts, anyone?

This discussion is related to Methimazole make me feeling worse.
What are the results of his latest blood tests?  You should be getting copies of each report.  Please post the latest results and be sure to include reference ranges, which vary lab to lab and have to come from his own report.

Have antibody tests been done to confirm Graves Disease or is the doctor assuming that because your husband is hyper, it's Graves?

Personally, I think he needs a different doctor.  Many of us with thyroid conditions have had the feeling that something is stuck in the throat and it's hard to swallow.  This is common when the thyroid swells or is inflamed.  

Once you post your husband's thyroid related blood tests, we well be able to better assess the testing/treatment he's getting.
He's going in today for more blood work. I'll have to find last months blood work results. His symptoms were much greater than just being hyper! Yes, his initial diagnosis was based on blood work. I understand that feeling like something's caught in the throat can be part of the disease. Isn't it odd though that he's just now having that symptom along with the other symptoms after he's been treated for so long? Since he started feeling yucky again and something's felt stuck in his throat his bulging eyes have gotten worse. I've been reading about thyroid storm....scary! He's also experiencing nausea.
"Isn't it odd though that he's just now having that symptom along with the other symptoms after he's been treated for so long?"  No, maybe he's having a "flare".... anxiety can also cause that feeling.  

Yes, thyroid storm is very scary, indeed, as well as dangerous.  If you think there's a chance that could be happening, he needs to go to the ER.

Please clarify how much med he's taking.  You first said he was started on 10 mg 4 times/day.  Then you said the dose kept increasing and he's now on 40 mg/day.   10 mg times 4 "is" 40 mg.