Thyroid Disorders Community
Growing thyroid nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Growing thyroid nodule

I recently had a ultrasound on my thyroid and a nodule that measured 3cm 3 years ago is now measuring 5cm by 5cm.  My thyroid labs are normal and the FNA I had done 3 years ago determined the nodule to be benign.  The nodule is now visible on the outside and I can feel it when I swallow.  It has been recommended that I have the nodule surgically removed.  I was told thyroid hormone therapy would probably do nothing for  a nodule this size.  I just don't want to have unnecessary surgery.  Do you agree with the recommendation?  
If nodule is cystic, the aspiration following by PEI injection can be used; if nodule is solid and can take RAI after thyrogen [TSH] injection RAI ablation can be used, there is a risk to destroy non nodular tissue, therefore the latter procedure is not used for cold nodules.
I know that it is a cold nodule, but I don't know if it is cystic.
The ultrasound report should mention that.
Large cysts are forming due to the internal bleeding into the small nodule.
On this forum we have a person who have had PEI injection for 3 cm cyst.