Thyroid Disorders Community
HAS ANYONE TRIED THYROGOLD,NUTRIMEDS,THYROID-S

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have been reading about other natural thyroid meds.  Has anyone used or tried Thyroid-S,nutrimeds, thyrogold?  Thanks
I've only come across this once where I read that it is over the counter (OTC) and thus the potency is pretty low so a person has to take a lot of it in comparison to prescribed medicine.  But that is all.

I personally am on the bottom of the range for Free T4 and if my new Dr will do nothing for me because my TSH is in the middle of the range and my FT4 is at the bottom end but still within. I may very well be tempted to give this a try as there is really nothing else to do but continue to look for another Dr.
In the US, over the counter thyroid supplements are not allowed to have any measurable thyroid hormone; as near as we can figure, it's pretty much inert thyroid tissue.
I can not urge you enough to NOT take them. One in particular has 250% of the daily recommendation for Iodine. If you have any issues with thyroid you can and probably will end up in ER with serious heart problems. They have NO thyroid extract in them, rather they are full of iodine and other vitamins to allegedly help with underlying thyroid issues. They are dangerous and are in the process of being investigated.
I repeat there is NO thyroid hormone in them and they are full of Iodine which in high doses as these are are down right dangerous. It is a money making gimmick by companies jumping on the band wagon of 'natural' medicines.
Stay off that sttm page.  
I've been taking Thyroid S for a while. I actually like it I think better than Armour. I take it sublingually. I monitor my labs as well as my temp pulse and blood pressure.In terms of labs the values have been the same as on Armour. I have had no ill effects. I contacted Sriprisat ratio of T4 to T3 and its 4:1. Can't complain.My pulse runs about 79   bp112/68  my hair is not falling out  no palpatations sleep like a baby  not a problem
Sorry meant to say my pulse runs between 68 and 80 at the peak ....
That STTM page saved my life.
Half the stuff on there are theories that were thought up by someone in order to sell books and do paid consults.   What was it that saved your life that you would not of done if you didn't find that site?
To the person who said stay off the STTM site, you're wrong, I agree with you EMTjjh, STTM saved my life. I am now on Thyroid-S, and I have gone from being clinically depressed and very ill, weak and foggy headed on Synthroid to feeling almost normal again. My labs are still high and I have a way to go. But my TSH came down from 5.55 to 2.44 in 4 months of taking Thyroid-S. I started off at 1/4 grain, increased in two weeks, waited a month and increased to 1 grain, that's where I'm at now.In March, I will go up top 1.5 grains. Feeling much better. If it were not for STTM site, I would not have known about Thyroid-S. Throw away the Synthroid, ( or go read the side effects, at least, before you continue with it-nasty stuff) it brought my numbers down but made me sick as a dog! I felt worst than any other time in my life, while on Synthroid.Thanks to STTM site, I have found so much helpful information and Thyroid-S!
I understand Thyroid-S to be equivalent to Armour and other prescription NDTs,  and not an OTC supplement.  Lots of people in the UK seem to do very well on it as, as it is very difficult to get a prescription for Armour or other NDTs.  Personally, I am not so sure about the dyes and fillers in it though.
Thank you, I agree...me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NDT- SIMPLY PUT NATURAL DESSICATED THYROID MEDS! Do you work for the Synthroid Co.???
Nobody here works for any drug company and we all know what NDT stands for.  You don't have to yell at anyone.

Desiccated meds aren't right for everyone, just like synthroid isn't right for everyone.  We're all individuals and have to take the medication that works best for us.
I started on Thyro Gold on Thursday since my TSH is in the upper normal range, and my T4 and T3 are low, but nothing is alarming enough to "diagnose". I am VERY symptomatic. After 4 days, I feel like I am finally starting to get my life back. I highly recommend it.
What is the comparative dosing oh Thyro-gold and Armour? I take 3 grains (180 mg) of Armour now.
Hi. I'd really like to follow your progress as I just got back blood results today after 8 months on Eltroxin (and gaining weight , feeling completely fatigued all the time) and my TSH is 12. It's ridiculous. My GP refuses to prescribe anything but T4 and frankly, I am desperate to find something that works.
My idea is to either purchase T3 on its own and supplement along with the Eltroxin, (I have just today started on 100, up from 75). Or I was going to try Thyro-Gold as I really like the reviews I am seeing on it.

Love to hear how you get on!
That STTM saved my life also! I was in extreme pain, with all the other hypo symptoms, felt like I was dying, but doctor after doctor, even endos, kept telling me my thyroid was fine, that I had fibromyalgia, anxiety disorder, depression, IBS. STTM gave me the hope I needed to keep searching for a doctor who understood. When I finally got dx correctly and got on the right thyroid medication ALL my symptoms went away. I would encourage anyone with thyroid problems or fibromyalgia to read, read, read the STTM website. You don't even have to buy the book, there's so much info on the website.
My wife was diagnosed being hypo (Hashi) about 2 years ago and placed on Synthroid. She continued to have all the hypo symptoms...mild depression, metal fogginess, weird rashes, weight gain, pains in her hands and feet along with random pains, hair loss, difficulty sleeping and low heart rate with her blood pressure up and down. After seeing her GP, a dermatologist, a rheumatologist and 2 endocrinologists, and all refusing to go up on her Synthroid dosage or letting us try Armour (labwork "within normal limits"), we finally had enough! We got the Thyrogold and stopped the synthroid. She has been on TG for a week now (300mg daily) and ALL her symptoms have gone. She says this is the best she has felt in years and its noticeable. We plan on adjusting her dose up more in a week or so and re-evaluate as needed following the late Dr. Lowe's guides. I highly recommend both STTM website and www.naturalthyroidsolutions.com. (Q & A section)
Excellent interview  conducted by Mary Shomonon with the late Dr. Lowe.

(http://thyroid.about.com/od/hypothyroidismhashimotos/a/Optimal-Treatment-Hypothyroidism-John-Lowe.htm)
how are you doing with thyro- gold now?
How is your wife doing with thyro- gold now?
Thank you for your time.
Most of the previous posters are no longer active on the forum, so it's unlikely that you will get a response to questions.
Hi.  I've been hypo for about 15 years and have always had issues, except when on Armour.  Unfortunately my insurance has changed and I have new Dr.'s who will not prescribe it.  The worst thing about thyroid disease is having to explain over and over your tyroid symtpoms, trying to convince him that those are thyroid symptoms, and trying to have some control and having your Dr.'s dismiss your information.  I've ordered my first bottle of Thyro-gold and am anxious to try it.  I feel like I'm at the end of my rope with all of my symptoms and so frustrated I could scream.
I have been hypothyroid for 14 years. I started taking Thyro-gold four weeks ago after the Medical Assistant at my physician's office insisted that I needed a full lab work up including Cholesterol before they would refill my Levothyroxine 137mcg. I resent physicians holding prescription refills hostage until labs are done. I just had full labs done in February. I have high deductible insurance so I have to pay out of pocket for full labs done more than once a year. When I asked her what would happen if I stopped the Levothyroxine she stated that I would "get sick". I have not gotten sick. I actually sleep better than I have in years. I bought the 150mg capsules so that I could experiment with the dosage. I take 300mg in the morning then I take 150mg in the early afternoon if I start feeling sluggish. I took my basal temp as recommended. It has actually gone up since I started taking Thyro-gold. It used to average 97.4 now it averages 98. I have not lost weight as some people have.    
There are websites from which you can order your blood work and it's much less expensive than going through your doctor's office.  It's not covered by insurance, but you can get TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 for about $100.  

Did your wife go off the synthroid cold turkey or wean herself off? I am currently on Synthroid and looking to switch to thyro-gold and am not sure if I should wean off the synthroid first or just switch. Thanks.
25yrRN is no longer active on the site.