HAS ANYONE TRIED THYROGOLD,NUTRIMEDS,THYROID-S
I have been reading about other natural thyroid meds.  Has anyone used or tried Thyroid-S,nutrimeds, thyrogold?  Thanks
I've only come across this once where I read that it is over the counter (OTC) and thus the potency is pretty low so a person has to take a lot of it in comparison to prescribed medicine.  But that is all.

I personally am on the bottom of the range for Free T4 and if my new Dr will do nothing for me because my TSH is in the middle of the range and my FT4 is at the bottom end but still within. I may very well be tempted to give this a try as there is really nothing else to do but continue to look for another Dr.
In the US, over the counter thyroid supplements are not allowed to have any measurable thyroid hormone; as near as we can figure, it's pretty much inert thyroid tissue.
I can not urge you enough to NOT take them. One in particular has 250% of the daily recommendation for Iodine. If you have any issues with thyroid you can and probably will end up in ER with serious heart problems. They have NO thyroid extract in them, rather they are full of iodine and other vitamins to allegedly help with underlying thyroid issues. They are dangerous and are in the process of being investigated.
I repeat there is NO thyroid hormone in them and they are full of Iodine which in high doses as these are are down right dangerous. It is a money making gimmick by companies jumping on the band wagon of 'natural' medicines.
Stay off that sttm page.  
I've been taking Thyroid S for a while. I actually like it I think better than Armour. I take it sublingually. I monitor my labs as well as my temp pulse and blood pressure.In terms of labs the values have been the same as on Armour. I have had no ill effects. I contacted Sriprisat ratio of T4 to T3 and its 4:1. Can't complain.My pulse runs about 79   bp112/68  my hair is not falling out  no palpatations sleep like a baby  not a problem
Sorry meant to say my pulse runs between 68 and 80 at the peak ....
That STTM page saved my life.
Half the stuff on there are theories that were thought up by someone in order to sell books and do paid consults.   What was it that saved your life that you would not of done if you didn't find that site?
To the person who said stay off the STTM site, you're wrong, I agree with you EMTjjh, STTM saved my life. I am now on Thyroid-S, and I have gone from being clinically depressed and very ill, weak and foggy headed on Synthroid to feeling almost normal again. My labs are still high and I have a way to go. But my TSH came down from 5.55 to 2.44 in 4 months of taking Thyroid-S. I started off at 1/4 grain, increased in two weeks, waited a month and increased to 1 grain, that's where I'm at now.In March, I will go up top 1.5 grains. Feeling much better. If it were not for STTM site, I would not have known about Thyroid-S. Throw away the Synthroid, ( or go read the side effects, at least, before you continue with it-nasty stuff) it brought my numbers down but made me sick as a dog! I felt worst than any other time in my life, while on Synthroid.Thanks to STTM site, I have found so much helpful information and Thyroid-S!
I understand Thyroid-S to be equivalent to Armour and other prescription NDTs,  and not an OTC supplement.  Lots of people in the UK seem to do very well on it as, as it is very difficult to get a prescription for Armour or other NDTs.  Personally, I am not so sure about the dyes and fillers in it though.
Thank you, I agree...me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NDT- SIMPLY PUT NATURAL DESSICATED THYROID MEDS! Do you work for the Synthroid Co.???
Nobody here works for any drug company and we all know what NDT stands for.  You don't have to yell at anyone.

Desiccated meds aren't right for everyone, just like synthroid isn't right for everyone.  We're all individuals and have to take the medication that works best for us.
I started on Thyro Gold on Thursday since my TSH is in the upper normal range, and my T4 and T3 are low, but nothing is alarming enough to "diagnose". I am VERY symptomatic. After 4 days, I feel like I am finally starting to get my life back. I highly recommend it.
How were your labs on Thyrogold?  I have been on it for three weeks.  No blood work yet but I have more energy, and sleep better every night.
What is the comparative dosing oh Thyro-gold and Armour? I take 3 grains (180 mg) of Armour now.
Hi. I'd really like to follow your progress as I just got back blood results today after 8 months on Eltroxin (and gaining weight , feeling completely fatigued all the time) and my TSH is 12. It's ridiculous. My GP refuses to prescribe anything but T4 and frankly, I am desperate to find something that works.
My idea is to either purchase T3 on its own and supplement along with the Eltroxin, (I have just today started on 100, up from 75). Or I was going to try Thyro-Gold as I really like the reviews I am seeing on it.

Love to hear how you get on!
That STTM saved my life also! I was in extreme pain, with all the other hypo symptoms, felt like I was dying, but doctor after doctor, even endos, kept telling me my thyroid was fine, that I had fibromyalgia, anxiety disorder, depression, IBS. STTM gave me the hope I needed to keep searching for a doctor who understood. When I finally got dx correctly and got on the right thyroid medication ALL my symptoms went away. I would encourage anyone with thyroid problems or fibromyalgia to read, read, read the STTM website. You don't even have to buy the book, there's so much info on the website.
My wife was diagnosed being hypo (Hashi) about 2 years ago and placed on Synthroid. She continued to have all the hypo symptoms...mild depression, metal fogginess, weird rashes, weight gain, pains in her hands and feet along with random pains, hair loss, difficulty sleeping and low heart rate with her blood pressure up and down. After seeing her GP, a dermatologist, a rheumatologist and 2 endocrinologists, and all refusing to go up on her Synthroid dosage or letting us try Armour (labwork "within normal limits"), we finally had enough! We got the Thyrogold and stopped the synthroid. She has been on TG for a week now (300mg daily) and ALL her symptoms have gone. She says this is the best she has felt in years and its noticeable. We plan on adjusting her dose up more in a week or so and re-evaluate as needed following the late Dr. Lowe's guides. I highly recommend both STTM website and www.naturalthyroidsolutions.com. (Q & A section)
Did you tell any of your doctors? I've been on a combination of Nutri-Meds and Thyro Gold for over a year now, but my doctor still thinks I take Levothyroxine. If I told him what I was doing, I'm not sure he'd treat me anymore. I live in a rural area with no other physician options.
Excellent interview  conducted by Mary Shomonon with the late Dr. Lowe.

(http://thyroid.about.com/od/hypothyroidismhashimotos/a/Optimal-Treatment-Hypothyroidism-John-Lowe.htm)
how are you doing with thyro- gold now?
How is your wife doing with thyro- gold now?
Thank you for your time.
Most of the previous posters are no longer active on the forum, so it's unlikely that you will get a response to questions.
Hi.  I've been hypo for about 15 years and have always had issues, except when on Armour.  Unfortunately my insurance has changed and I have new Dr.'s who will not prescribe it.  The worst thing about thyroid disease is having to explain over and over your tyroid symtpoms, trying to convince him that those are thyroid symptoms, and trying to have some control and having your Dr.'s dismiss your information.  I've ordered my first bottle of Thyro-gold and am anxious to try it.  I feel like I'm at the end of my rope with all of my symptoms and so frustrated I could scream.
I have been hypothyroid for 14 years. I started taking Thyro-gold four weeks ago after the Medical Assistant at my physician's office insisted that I needed a full lab work up including Cholesterol before they would refill my Levothyroxine 137mcg. I resent physicians holding prescription refills hostage until labs are done. I just had full labs done in February. I have high deductible insurance so I have to pay out of pocket for full labs done more than once a year. When I asked her what would happen if I stopped the Levothyroxine she stated that I would "get sick". I have not gotten sick. I actually sleep better than I have in years. I bought the 150mg capsules so that I could experiment with the dosage. I take 300mg in the morning then I take 150mg in the early afternoon if I start feeling sluggish. I took my basal temp as recommended. It has actually gone up since I started taking Thyro-gold. It used to average 97.4 now it averages 98. I have not lost weight as some people have.    
There are websites from which you can order your blood work and it's much less expensive than going through your doctor's office.  It's not covered by insurance, but you can get TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 for about $100.  

Did your wife go off the synthroid cold turkey or wean herself off? I am currently on Synthroid and looking to switch to thyro-gold and am not sure if I should wean off the synthroid first or just switch. Thanks.
25yrRN is no longer active on the site.
Did you ever stop synthroid and start thyro gold? If so, how is it working for you and if so, did you stop cold turkey or wean yourself off of it? I am also on synthroid and thinking about starting thryo gold.
Thanks!
Me too!
Thyroid S comes from Thailand.  ThyroGold comes from New Zealand.
NutriMeds says it's US produced?  Is that right?
Hi just wondering if you are still taking Thyrogold? i just ordered them yesterday 150mg.
thank you ***@****
clarebear931 has not been active on the forum since 2013.
amdiegelman has not been active on the forum since his post in 2013
Glad you told me or I'd keep checking for a response.
Just for your information, though... you are correct that Thyroid S comes from Thailand.  ThyroGold comes from the U.S from the late Dr John Lowe.  NutriMed also comes from the U.S.  

OTC thyroid supplements in the U.S are not supposed to have any measurable thyroid hormone in them... they are ground up glandular material, with the hormones removed.
You are wrong.  Thyroid is whole raw thyroid from New Zealand repackaged in the U.S..
Meant to say thyrogold is raw thyroid bovine
It is illegal for any thyroid supplement sold over the counter in the United States to have any measurable thyroid hormones, since thyroid hormones are available by prescription only.  Whether the hormones are actually removed or not is another matter... companies selling these products could be subject to issues with the FDA...
I read this somewhere, and it explains why the FDA don't ban Thyro-Gold:
"The 1994 supplement law forcing the FDA to allow vitamins without restriction allows natural products. However if a medical claim is made for a natural product it falls out of the protection against the FDA. The Thyroid Gold product makes no medical claim and is off scot-free."
I will have to agree with you on your comment regarding Thyro-Gold... however, most of the other OTC products have had the hormones removed and are simply ground up tissue.

I haven't researched the benefits of bovine thyroid hormones vs porcine; it's my understanding that porcine is most like humans, though pigs produce much more T3 than humans do. That's a new avenue of research to be done.
Who are you addressing?  I'm the only one of the previous posters that's still active on the forum and I don't take Thyrogold...
I bought some PURE THYRO from a US based store, it comes from New Zealand.  It says it is a Lyophilized thyroid glandular.  

It says: Thyroid Tissue Lyophilized -150 mg.  Take one capsule daily or up 2 daily follwing meals.  

One Capsule contains 2.3 grains of Thyroid Tissue

I did see a several people talking about this, one lady said she took this Brand and The Adrenal Cortex by Nutriocology.  She said they both worked very well, and she felt very good.  

Anyone ever used this or heart of it?  

May I ask did you take any other form of Thyroid before?  If so what was your dose?  
How much do you take of the Thyroid Gold?  I read Dr.  Lowes websight.

I take only T4 right now.  Do not feel my best honestly.  
Mary Shomon is a amazing intelligen lady.  I have learn so much from her.  
As I noted, I'm the only one of the previous posters that are still active on the forum, so it's unlikely you'll get a response from anyone other than pokeyboop, who is new and may still be around.  

You must be careful what you read on other sites, it's not always accurate, just as we've had some people post inaccurate information here...
Thank you
I have had hypothyroid since 2007. I have had to only take 25mcg of levothyroxine since about 6 mths ago. I started having HYPER symptoms and stopped my medications. I have been recently tested and was positive for Hashimotos AND Graves disease. The endo wants me to stop taking thyroid for awhile to see what happens. I immediately started having hypo symptoms again. Fatigue, pain, hair loss, nails breaking, most of all I am getting depressed because I feel horrible. I am at a loss that they want a person to be like this instead of treating the symptoms. I was thinking about getting ThyroGold. My family takes it and has gotten good results. My mothers thyroid was tested and they made her back off to 1 pill a day because her TSH was to low. I was also reading about Iodine. Is iodine suggested for someone with HYPO??
Hi, just regarding your comments on over the counter Natural Desiccated Thyroid products not legally being able to contain measurable amounts of thyroid hormones - with all due respect, this is incorrect.

The main brands sold at least, Thyrogold, Thyrovanz, and Nutrimeds all have active and potent thyroid hormones (T4, T3, T2, T1 & Calcitonin) which is why they work so well for people experiencing hypothyroidism, and even those who have had their thyroid glands surgically removed - who could not survive unless these hormones where very active indeed.

However, because they are over the counter supplements, what they cannot do is list any specific hormone ratios or claim any curative health benefits. This has nothing to do with their effectiveness, just the legal restrictions imposed by the FDA.

I personally have taken Cytomel, Armour, Thyrogold, and Thyrovanz (in that order) and found the over the counter supplements to be best as they have the desired effect without all the extra additives.
Yes I did in November 2015. Stopped Synthroid one day and the next started Thyro-Gold.  It is January 2016 and I feel great - almost like the old self I can remember!  Tomorrow is my Endo appt.  It will be interesting to see what the blood results are.  I am on 300 mg 3x a day now.
I'm going to try either Thyrogold or Thyrovanz.  Too many symptoms with just levothyroxine.  I was on Armour some years ago, and while my T4 tests and TSH moved me more toward the mid range on the blood tests, my T3, over time, became too high.  So, I went back to levothyroxine.  My question is for someone who wants to give Thyrogold or Thyrovanz a try instead of levothyroxine, what's the best guess at the starting dose, and can you take a clue from the current levothyroxine dose?  I've googled around and can't find a conversion chart except for rough equivalencies for levothyroxine & prescription desiccated thyroid meds like Armour.  I take 50 mcg/day of levothyroxine, and do not recall the Armour dose I took years ago.  
I just ordered the 150 Thyrogold today. After ending up in the ER with horrid side effects from the reformulated Armour, I need to do something else and my doctor is only willing to consider Synthroid. I have Hashimotos and had a return of Hypo symptoms last fall (2015). I found a conversion chart on this site -http://www.pauljonesblog.com/2015/09/06/the-amount-of-t3-and-t4-in-thyro-gold/
Hoping for the best. I have been doing a lot of research and reading reviews from others. Fingers Crossed!
300mcg of thyroid gold is suppose to be equivalent to 100mcg of synthroid if that helps
wow that seems like a large dose, what were you on before
Just in case anyone wants to use this conversion info I just wanted to point out that the site I see on this shows that a 300 mg capsule of Thyroid Gold contains 100 mcg of T4 plus 25 of T3.  Based on scientific studies showing that 1 mcg of T3 is equivalent to about 3 mcg of T4, that means a 300 mg capsule of Thyroid Gold would be equivalent to about 175 mcg of T4.