Thyroid Disorders Community
HELP! MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

HELP! MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!!

Hello... I am new to this forum and appreciate any and all advice.
I have hashiomoto and was given large amounts of iodine after oral surgery... since then my hair has been falling out at an alarming rate. I stopped the iodine and according to a recent THYROID PANEL:
T4,Free(Direct) = 0.82
Thyroxine (T4)  = 4.9
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum = 2.2
TSH = 4.160
IRON = 156

I was advised to increase my armour dose up a 1/2 grain along with 400mcg of selenium. This was almost 2 weeks ago and I am still loosing massive amounts of hair every morning on my pillow.

Please let me know what I should do.
thank you!!!  
Iodine is contraindicated for anyone with Hashimoto's, because of the possibility of adverse effects.

Hair falling out is a hypo symptom, and looking at your FT3 and FT4, your levels appear to be quite low, but we need to know the reference ranges.  Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report, so need to be posted with results.

Who advised you to take 400 mcg of selenium?

It take 4-6 weeks for a the T4 in the medication to take full effect.
Hello! Thank you Barb for getting back to me. Here are the ranges:

T4,Free(Direct)= 0.82                 0.82-1.77
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum = 2.2 2.0-4.4 BN
Thyroxine (T4) = 4.9                4.5-12.0 BN
TSH=  4.160                0.450-4.500 BN

I am back to 1 grain a day... and was wondering if I should up it by a 1/2 grain at the 2 week mark. I have read info that increaing 1/4 to 1/2 grain every 2 weeks for Armour is standard. Please advise.

Thank you ever so much.

Your levels are very low in the range, indicating that you are still hypo.  I've heard, too, that Armour should be increased every couple of weeks, however, you should only do that on the advice of your doctor.