HIVES
I have been Dx with Graves Disease, I am trying to avoid RAI.  I started with Methimazole, after 2 wk I had HORRIBLE hives from head to toe that didn't respond to benadryl. I spoke to the Dr, his answer was to take 100mg/4 hr of Benadryl and told me they would eventually go away.  I opted to try PTU and so far so good, I had to beg for a Rx.  I am concerned about hives with PTU, I was told I will get them with the PTU.  Literature says I have a 30% chance.  My question,if I start with hives, will they go away and how long will it take?  Why is there such a push for RAI when in other countries it is the last choice?
I had hives with Methimazole and was switched to PTU. Worked for me without hives. Doc was also concerned I would be allergic so he started me on a low dose. It's worked really well for me. Although I'm not perfect, I feel like a totally different person.
I just checked my medication that the endo dr. prescribed to me.  It is methimazole 10 mg 2 times per day.  I have not seen any hives yet.  I am taking this to calm my hyper thyroid down until I get the RAI.  Which is true they do push that option as the first choice.  He dismissed the ptu pills as having side affects and taking two years to take hold.  I don't know what that means...maybe I wasn't listening that close when he as talking down the ptu.  I am opting for the RAI.  I guess I will be hypo after they distroy my thyroid.  I believe the endo drs' like to do what is easier for them.  Kill it and put you  on synthroid forever after that
Lisa Jo
I had joint pain, carpal tunnel, knees cracking, dry skin, etc. These symptoms went away in two days after taking PTU. I'm not saying this is the common case but I'd rather try PTU . It took alot longer for the fatigue and brain fog and depression to lift. And I'm also taking trazodone and xanzx.
The hives are an auto immune response.  The antibodies attacking your thyroid are now attacking your skin.  I have had them for 2 months now.  I had Grave's in 2005 and it went into remission after 1.5 yrs.  Then I got it again in May of 2015.  Hives started in Aug. 2016.  I also switched to PTU cause I thought the methamazole caused them.  I see an allergist and she said something pushed the immune system over the edge.  Can't only blame the medication.  She has me on Zyrtec 2 morning and night, Zantac 1 morning and night, Allegra 1 midday, Atarax 1 - 5 at night or 1 every 4 hours.  I take Benadryl too when I can't afford to be too sleepy.  I also just yesterday started Xolair, a biological shot that has been approved for treating chronic urticaria which is hives caused by auto immune.  So far today...covered in hives.  Worst yet.  I sure hope this stuff helps.