Thyroid Disorders Community
HYPERACTIVE THYROID

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

HYPERACTIVE THYROID

I HAVE A  HYPERACTIVETHYROID AND I HAVE STARTED TO GAIN WEIGHT.  DOES THIS MEAN I'M GOING TO START GAINING WEIGHT INSTEAD OF LOSING IT.
Tags: Thyroid
I am currently undergoing treatment for thyroid cancer and my daughter had Graves disease and hyperactive thyroid 2 years ago.  She had to have hers removed and it actually had cancer in it as well.  She had the same symptom as you and gained weight.  It is not the norm but we were told it could happen.  
I am hyperthyroid and yes I have gained instead of losing.  My endo stated that this could happen since your body is all out of whack.

I have learned the nothing is of the norm when dealing with the thyroid.

I have been trying to lose to no avail.  My primary and orthopaedics is always telling me I need to lose.   Well guess what, the next thing is to stop eating all together.

Hi, I also had Graves' and gained a tremendous amount of weight with it.  The first dr who saw me said I couldn't possibly have Graves' b/c you can't gain with it.  Proved him wrong.
Hi..I also have  Graves and have started gaining weight...lost it at first then have done nothing but gain....it's funny when I go to emerg room or something and have to tell the nurse/doc that I have graves and they look at me like "no, you must be mistaken"!!  I guess the stereotypical graves person is skin and bones, but I have found that 11% of people with graves actually gain weight instead of losing!!  Hope this helps!
I think we might be missing the obvious here.  If you are dianosed (by a Doctor!) with hyperthyroidism, then we would like to assume that you are being treated for it.  If you are, and the meds you are taking are working as they are supposed to (as we all hope ours are!), then you can hope that your system is in balance and you are potentially...normal!  Then, all things considered, weight gain is probably the simple reuslt of poor diet or lack of proper exercise!!  Just a thought!!  If you self diagnosed your hyperthyroidism, don't be wacked and GO SEE A DOCTOR NOW!
I just can't imagine gaining weight with a hyper t condition.  Are you sure that you are hyper t now?  What are your current test results for free T4 and free T3?  What symptoms do you have besides weight gain?  What does your average body temperature run compared to the normal of 98.6?
Yes, you can have the opposite. I am hypo (TT), and my TSH level is at a normal range along with T3/T4, blood work ran in August 08. I have lost 33 lbs in 8 months and I changed nothing. I do not even exercise. My doctor is stumped on the weight loss because everyone knows you can not lose weight being hypo, WRONG YOU CAN.  (Yes still trying to figure out my weight loss as we speak)

Everyone is different in how their body reacts. My weight always stayed the same (healthy 115-120/ 5"2) for the last 14yrs. Just because you are hypo does not mean you will gain, and just because you are hyper does not mean you will lose. It all depends on the make up of the person.
hello

YES YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY GAIN WEIGHT WITH HYPERTHYROID, I AM A GRAVES PATIENT AND HAVE PUT ON QUITE A LOT.

as of yet, still gaining, but seems to be slowing down a little bit, have back issues at the moment and waiting to find out what those are, can't run, but have been watching the food consumption.

it varies too, could more than i should one day and drop 2 lbs, be really good for days on end and gain 3 pounds? no rhyme no reason. just is…