HYPERTHYROID AND REMISSION
I have had a long 6 weeks. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with Hyperthyroidism, and was treated for several years with PTU and my levels stayed controlled. In January of 2011 I changed Endo Drs due to an insurance change. the new dr took me off the PTU. I was off all ATD for 6 wks and my levels were rechecked and once again I was Hyperthyroid.  I was then put on Tapazol, and after almost 4 months on this med I became very ill, and put in the hospital with my Liver damaged. It was decided that the tapazol was the problem and i was taken off the meds.. Now after almost 5 weeks i have been out of work, and all of my symptoms have returned, tremors, insomnia, increased heart rate, rest less legs, pain in my legs. I am taking propranolol to help with the symptoms, but i have been unable to work, because of the risk of heart problems.... My dr and nurse practitioner have been back and forth about what to do because all of my levels are not that bad at this point, but i feel like crap most days, and quiet honestly i dont like not working.  Surgery was brought up because my sister had thyroid cancer and my mother and grandmother both had thyroid disease. But the surgeon decided that i would be at high risk do to a previous cervical surgery, so then my dr said lets do RAI... Now, since my most recent lab work, they have mentioned remission and i may not have to do any treatment...What happens with remission and how long can it or will it last and should i be looking for a new dr?  I have missed 5 weeks of work, not to mention the bills i have racked up doing a different lab test every week.

This discussion is related to Just Diagnosed - RAI and Stress!?.