Thyroid Disorders Community
Had Thyroid cancer..now my doctor says my TSH is low (21?)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Had Thyroid cancer..now my doctor says my TSH is low (21?)

I was diagnosed last summer with thyroid cancer, had my thyroid removed and then had the Radioactive Iodine treatment to get rid of any of the other particles left in my body. I was put on Levoxyl at 125MCGs in the beginning and didnt feel that my energy level had returned to the normal level so my doctor raised me up to 150 mcg's which is what I am currently on. Recently I had a TSH test and my doctor said that my level was at a 21 or a .21 (I am not sure which) and had me make an appointment to come in to get rechecked for a cancer recurrence. My question is...is this usually a sign that my cancer has come back or are there any other reasons (Levoxyl too high?) why it may be like this? When I had my thyroid removed they only found one nodule effected and didnt find any other traces so I am concerned that something could happen only 6 months later.

Any help would be great!
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
WELCOME to the Thyroid Community .. I don't know .. sorry, but wanted to say hello.  Maybe they want it a bit above .21 ...   A TSH <1.0 is desirable for cancer supression and even lower #'s are better but many cannot take the side effects of a TSH like yours of 0.21 ... mine is best at 1.8 ... I was at 0.667 and had speech problems believe it or not!  Word retrieval type items.

Cheryl
Blank
427555_tn?1267556758
You may want to get a thyroglobulin test.  If you have had a TT the presence of thyroglobulin can indicate a return of cancer. I am not familiar with Levoxyl, but I know the goal is to keep the TSH suppressed below .1, if you have had cancer.
Trish
Blank
213044_tn?1236531060
A lot depends on whether your TSH is 21.0 or 0.21.

If your TSH was 21.0, then your meds are too high.

I'm not sure if that alone, for a few months, is enough to make the doctor worry about cancer, or if it is close enough to being a year that he wants to do a cancer check a little early, because you were not kept suppressed.

Have you been getting bloodwork every few months?
Blank
158939_tn?1274918797
Your TSH goal is <.1 so regardless of 21 or 2.1, that is still too high.  Are you being treated by an endocrinologist?  If not, you should be.  Yes, your thyroglobulin (Tg) level and TSH need to be monitored closely to watch for unexplained increases after being on a STABLE dose of thyroid replacement.  Because your surgery was last year and RAI shortly after, you still may not be on a stable dose of meds.  Usually you will need to be stabilized then monitored for about 6 months before a rise in your TSH or Tg is an indicator of recurrence.

Hope that makes sense - I've got a massive headache so *nothing* makes sense to me right now.  :-)

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03
recurrence and RAI '06 and probably '08
three sisters with papillary carcinoma (one with three recurrences)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank