Thyroid Disorders Community
Hair Loss and Evening Primrose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hair Loss and Evening Primrose

Would like to know if Evening Primrose Oil has helped anyone who is losing their hair....and what dosage was used.  Also, is it the thyroid condition that causes the hair loss or the Synthroid. \

I have had Hypothyroid for over 2 years...was not given medication until 8 months after all my symptoms and went steadily downhill feeling like someone 80 when I was a healthy, active 60 year old....had all the symptoms, weight gain, lack of interest  in life,  major brain fog etc etc....finally was given medication and within in a week I felt like a new person....At that time of my first tests, I had a TSH of 5.9, but doctor neglected to think it was serious until I went back almost 8 months later and said something had to be done.... I am finding it hard to maintain a steady good reading but get tested every 6 weeks.

One of the reason I felt I went hypothyroid was because I went off all natural hormones (on because of total hysterectomy)  It took about  3 months (maybe for them to work their way out of my system)  and then I started feeling really bad...talk about accelerated aging!!!.by the time I went back to my doctor,  the estrogen level was low,  cholesteral was up,  and thyroid was 5.9.....

Is it possible to go off the Synthroid altogether and return to my regime of natural estrogen/progesterin/ testosterone??? or if you have the thyroid problem do you have it forever??

Thank you, Barbara
Synthroid has been reported to be related to continued hairloss by some of the members here. And, they may or may not have had other hypo symptoms as well. If they also had other symptoms on synthroid it was from being under medicated (to TSH) or they needed some form of additional T3.

"Is it possible to go off the Synthroid altogether and return to my regime of natural estrogen/progesterin/ testosterone?"   - As you might know hormones can help each other and can play tug of war at the same time, in both females and males. Synthroid is for the thyroid only, those hormones you listed are not.

"if you have the thyroid problem do you have it forever" - your hypo, if it because of Hoshimotos caused by antibodies destructing the thyroid yes its forever. Did you have the two antibody tests done???????? You need it.

'Slow' thyroid can be temporary but rare, its a fragile gland. Whole body infections, digestive bacterial overgrowth, Celiac, (including just glutin intollerance) can and have had negative effects on thyroid output.
thank you for your comments....my Hypo is not from Hoshimotos....the condition seemed to have happened after I went off all hormones which I was on due to having a complete hysterectomy.....I suspect that is what started everything as I went downhill fast after stopping the natural hormones...up to that point everything was normal.

Could you explain to me what you mean by the antibody tests.....p.s  I have been diagnosed with a couple of nodules on my thryoid and will have another test in July of this year to see if there is any change.

Thank you.
Thyroid peroxidase antibody TPOAb, and Thyroglobulin antibody TgAb.
Testing positive for one of these means you have antibodies. This is how Hoshis is diagnosed. So if you have not had these two tests, you will not know if you have it.

Its always possible to have two thing going on at once.
Hi there.....I did get the Thyroid peroixidase antibody test done .....it was high...238.  Normal range 50.....have a new doctor now and she has indicated Hoshimotos disease.

I am feeling good now,  hair loss has subsided considerably and my TSH levels since January have been consistent.   I have read that the levels may shoot up and down with Hoshimotos as the thyroid is being destroyed.....this is what had been happening in the previous years but finally everything seems to be going OK for now.

My only problem now is I'm not sleeping.  I sleep for 2 hrs wake,  go back,  sleep for 2 hrs go back....I'm sure you get the picture.  this has been going on since February....it is now almost April.

jan   TSH 1.01   and March  TSH 1.00   Labs will not do the T3 or T4 routinely now....only if TSH levels are out of the normal range....

I have to have another ultrasound done in July....(yearly)  to check the progress of the nodules and goiter that was seen last time.....although it is not noticeable on my neck,  I feel like something is growing.....is there any way to stop the goiter from growing??  or will it continue to be destroyed regardless of the amount of medication.?

Thank you, Barbara

I've come across a lot of positive feedback on google on using Biotin for hair loss.  Here are many treatments for it:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/hair_loss/treatments.htm

I believe I've also heard of people using Vitamin A for hair loss.
Not all of us have a goiter, even if we have nodules. The thyroid med is the only thing I know of that ever controls the enlargement of both of those.

Sometimes our throats just feel swelled with Hashis.
thank you for your feedback.....Barbara