Thyroid Disorders Community
Hair Loss at 19.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hair Loss at 19.

Hi i'm 19 years old and i've noticed my hair thinning all over, if i run my hands through the sides and back, i get a couple of hairs inbetween my fingers seemingly every time, but not so much on the top, however at the crown is where i notice it most due to how i style my hair, but it seems to be just as thin all over.. if i run my fingers through my hair i can feel what seems to be a sort of second layer of hair? small hairs etc? is this it growing back maybe?
also, i went through a stage of drinking and smoking in excess, however i've cut these back now, i also don't tend to eat very healthily, however i'm trying to rectify that, an i'm also trying to drink more water..
is there any chance my previous lifestyle could be down to my hair thinning? if so, if i change it and generally get healthier, will the hair regrow and get thick again?
also, my dad has gone bald, however he only started losing his hair late 30s, early 40s
really hoping somebody can help
also, i've been tested for thyroid and 4 hormone deficiencies, and none have come back positive
As a start, please post those thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.
i don't have them, when i went to the doctors, they did the tests, and it was literally just a case of ring up, the person who answered the phone just said 'oh, they're all come back negative' and that was it, the doctor really didn't seem interested, would it be worth going to a different doctor do you think? (i've just noticed this is probably the wrong forum, sorry this is my first post)
Not sure where you are located, but in the U.S. doctors are required by law to give you a copy of your lab report upon request.  You should always get a copy of your lab report and then write on there what meds and supplements you were taking at the time, and also how you were feeling.  These then become very valuable for future reference.

Not sure why you think you may be on the wrong Forum.  Although there are other possibilities, thyroid issues can definitely be a possible cause for hair loss.  Also, understand that just because your test results were within the so-called "normal" ranges does not mean that is adequate for you.  The ranges are far too broad for that to be the case.  

I suggest that you get a copy of your lab report and post actual test results and reference ranges shown on the report and then members can give you a better assessment.   Beyond the thyroid questions, have you been tested for ferritin, and a full iron test panel?
I'm in england, and I assume I could get a copy if I'd asked, I've just never asked for one really, i just assumed when i rang up, and the secretary just said 'yeah, they're all negative' and with how disinterested the doctor was that there was nothing abnormal on that front, but i think i may go and get one, if it helps! :)
and i thought there was one specifically for hair loss? i'm not very good with computers and stuff, an i rarely ever use forums, don't wanna upset anybody by using the wrong one :)
and okay, i will do! - and as for the iron, i've heard it can help, but i've never been tested for that? and i've never even heard of ferritin, so i think i shall definitely get tested for that as soon as possible! if that is the problem, could the hair grow back if it was sorted? thanks for all your help
Be aware that in the UK it is difficult to even get all the tests that advisable for thyroid issues.  I will be surprised if you were tested for more than TSH and Free T4, which is inadequate.  We'll see when you get a copy and then go from there.  

Yes, there is a high probability that you could expect your hair to grow back, after remedial action.  

Please take a look at this comprehensive list of hypothyroid symptoms and see if you seem to have some of them.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/hypochecklist.htm
okay, thank you very much for your help, just this has helped to settle my mind. :)
After mentioning the difficulty of getting adequate testing and treatment in the UK, I just wanted to further mention that we have had some UK members who were successful in that.  This is the advice from one of those UK members.

"What I have learned from my experience is that you have to go to the Dr's office and TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT and to go backed up with knowledge.  You have to tell them that you have done your reading and looked into your condition and care about the long-term treatment of your health and thyroid.  If you fight for what you want, you will eventually find someone that is happy to go along with your wishes.  But we all have to take charge of our own health, right?"

Along with that keep in mind that a good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results, and especially not just TSH results.  You can get some good info about clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with from a distance, after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating primary doctor, to help guide treatment.  In the letter please note the statement, "the ultimate criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

Well now, didn't mean to post in triplicate.  I was having trouble getting the system to accept and finally it worked --- three times.  LOL