Thyroid Disorders Community
Hair loss after Complete Thyroidectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hair loss after Complete Thyroidectomy

I have Hashimoto's...   and I am post opp 12 weeks from a Complete Thyroidectomy and a Partial Parathyroidectomy/Tumor.  

I am afraid to brush my hair...  it is now half gone!

Do you know of anything that will help stop the hair loss?

Thank you for any information...   Sonflower
Hi...haven't talked to u in a while...sorry about ur hair.And that I have no suggestions.
I do pray someone on here can offer u some advice.

Take care
"selma"
Im getting something off my chemist, apparently its great to stop it coming out..Wont know what it is till Wednesday so Il let you know then! It must be good as it needs to ordered in for me!
I would love to know about something to stop the hair loss as well.  I am about 8 weeks post-op & I am so tired of seeing my hair all over the place.  I have very fine/thin hair to begin with.  I am already seeing bald spots around my hairline.  I try to talk to my doctor about it & he laughs it off & says it will stop.  When?  When it is all gone?  I have already been looking at wigs.  I have started vitamins & I am on cytomel as of 3 weeks ago.  I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.  
Good Morning;

Wow, you too...    It is so scrarey!

My ENDO reacted the same way like she didn't even care, but she didn't even say a word...  she just frowned and srugged her shoulders shook her head.  

I am so happy to hear that there may be hope with what "Jennifer1987" chemist has to offer her!

In the past 4-5 years....  everytime my ENDO woul d increase my Synthroid I would experience hair loss, but nothing like what is happeing now that I am post opp!

When I would loss hair previously I took Evening Prim Rose 1300mg 2 times per day, an over the counter supplement.  It worked great in the past, however it took about 2-3 months to see the results.  But this time it doesn't seem to be helping,

So sorry to hear of your hair, please let me know how you are doing, and I will do the same....  

Take care;  Sonflower
Hi!. Hair loss is quite common after surgery because of the tremendous stress it posess on your body. You might also be getting not enough of Thyroid hormone replacement now that you do not have your gland. Other common cause of hair loss especially in people with Thyroid problem (and that seam to go hand in hand) is low Ferritin levels. Your Serum Iron levels might be normal but if your Ferritin goes bellow 40 your hair will go into Tellogen Efuvium fase (resting ) and start comming out. To maintain healthy hair your Ferritin levels should be at least at 40 , to regrow your hair you should be at 70. Good luck
OK I went to get the stuff off my chemist but they didn't have, must wait till Friday! I got the mane of it, Silicea is what its called! I hope ye find it helpful, I cant wait to get them and take them...
HI Sonflower

I had total thyroidectomy after I found out I had thyroid cancer. I have had hair loss too, but I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed:
- Pantogard (pill) - they say it is the cutting edge treatment now
- Regaine (Minoxidil) - lotion - use before going to bed
- Avicis ( alpha estradiol) - use in the mornings

All the medicine combined have been working wonders. I hope they help you too.