Thyroid Disorders Community
Has anyone experienced a strange sensation in their legs?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

This a sensation I feel in my legs after exercising (even after a short walk; less than a quarter of a mile) or taking a hot bath. It feels like my legs, all the way from top of my thigh and down to my ankles, are twitching and popping internally. To clarify, even though I said it felt like my legs are "twitching," the sensation cannot by seen (like a muscle twitch), it can only be felt internally. This sensation happens all over, continuously, popping all over like little tiny explosions, for about 15 minutes until it subsides.

To be clear, this sensation ONLY happens after exercise or when my legs are soaked in hot water. It's not something that can mysteriously arise. I know what triggers it. Also, the sensation is not painful. So I think we can rule out some type of spasm.

I wrote a similar post in the heart section of this forum. I'm desperately trying to connect with other people, who may have experienced a similar symptom, as doctors have not been any help to me. I've only had my thyroid levels tested twice. The first time my TSH level came back high. The second time I think my TSH was about a 3. The doctor though nothing of it.

I don't know if this symptom is at all thyroid related, but I figured it's worth a shot to see if anyone in the thyroid community could relate to what I'm describing.

Information about me: I'm 22 years old, and I have literally felt like death the past four years of my life. But no doctor has found out what's wrong with me. I have many symptoms, but most of them are hard to describe. That's why I'm describing the "sensations in my legs," because I feel it is the easiest symptom to describe with words, and this symptom started when I started to feel terrible (4 years ago; when I was 18 years old). So I think if I can figure out what is causing this, I can find the root cause to my problems.

Anyway, this may have been a confusing post. So I apologize if it was. I'm just looking to see if there's any one out there who has experienced this or knows what I'm talking about.
Maybe message KL42 as he had the same problem a few months back.
Hi, yes I can relate to what you are experiencing as I have myself. I do not feel however it is related to my thyroid as I have had this happen for years, long before I got ill.
I just always put it down to muscle spasm after too much walking/excercise (but I have dodgy hips anyway which doesn't help)

Maybe look up benign fasciculation syndrome and it will/should explain what is happening:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_fasciculation_syndrome

Hope it helps
G

I get it when I have been doing too much walking or excersise, but only when I lay down to sleep. I had it checked out, it's called Restless Leg Syndrome. Comes from all the little nerve endings kind of going into a spaz attack. I found that after changing my diet drastically years ago I do not get it any where near as bad as I used to. My male friend, when we went camping said to me I was like someone having electric shock therapy, trying to kick down the tent! Hee hee

They say there are tablets you can take for it, if it is really bad. But they are prescribed not OTC.
Hope that helps you!
I felt some little sensations myself on the knees, just below the knees and ankle areas. The sensations are not painful though and doesn't give me any discomfort either. I started feeling a few weeks after my first thyroid surgery and because they are not painful or giving me any discomfort, I ignored them. However, a few days after my second thyroid surgery, I started feeling them again. I'm so worried that the 2 microscopic cancer cells found on my left thyroid may somehow had spread to my knees and ankle areas. So worried that I took the time to see my GP and queried him about it. First of all he said, the cancer cells found on my left thyroid were categorized as papillary. They grow very slowly. Nevertheless, he also said that if it had spread, the first part of my body it will attack was my spine. For this reason, I underwent a spine X-ray and the result came back as negative. I also got the pathologist's report on my right thyroid. It also has a negative result and the surrounding tissues are clear of any cancel cells. I will still undergo an RAI in 2 months. God bless us all.