Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimoto and Lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hashimoto and Lupus

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis at age 21, I started on medicine for my Thyroid. My father has Lupus so I was afraid that once I had Hashimoto I would get Lupus too. The doctor said not worry, it did not have to happen. I dont know if we could have prevented it but at age 24 I was diagnosed with Mild Lupus or Inflammatory Arthritis and have been on Plaquenil since. The upside of the story is that even though I have to take my medicines I have been fairly healthy, aside from the fatigue and insomnia and occasional sadness, I lead a normal life. Now I have a baby boy, the pregnancy went well, but he was born a little low weight, they say lupus causes restriction in growth of the baby, but he was born at 37 weeks and perfectly healthy and is now 1 year 4 months and running about. I had to go on prednisone just at the end of the pregnancy and have not been able to get off it. I am currently taking such a low dose 5 mgs one day 2.5 the next. But I try to lower it more and I start to feel sick. I have been having a very hard time loosing weight or even maintaining it.
I dont know if one disease comes with the other but please ask if you can do something to prevent getting Lupus.
I know I would have liked to prevent it.

This discussion is related to Autoimmune Diseases - Hashimoto's  and Lupus.
Lorena, unfortunately, it is common for these auto-immune diseases to run together. All of us here with Hashi worry that more diseases will follow. I don't understand how you can be diagnosed with either arthritis or Lupus.

I will tell you that my mom, who is 75 and has no signs yet of slowing down, has terrible arthritis. Sometimes it is so bad, I wonder if she's got mild Lupus. She also has Hashi. Those two combined are terrible. Still, she manages to keep a busy lifestyle. I don't know how she does it!

She's my inspiration.

In the meantime....POST YOUR BLOODWORK!
We can't tell you if we think you're getting enough meds if we can't see the bloodwork. If your doctor hasn't ordered these tests, then get them!

TSH
FT4
FT3

:) Tamra
I don't think there is any way you can prevent lupus or any other autoimmune disease.  It seems that a lot of us with one autoimmune end up with another (or more).  I, personally, have both Hashi's and pernicious anemia.  My son is type I diabetic and my daughter has lupus and is watched very closely for other autoimmunes, but I do know that some of the same tests are used to dx more than one disease.  For instance, I've read that TPOab is used to dx both Hashi's and lupus.

It would be good if you could post your thyroid labs.  Sometimes the results can be in the "normal" category but just not be right for YOU....I think lupus and Hashi's present similar symptoms; therefore, your symptoms could be more thyroid related than lupus and thyroid issues will also make you gain weight and/or prevent you from losing it.  
I have been in pain for ?? 10 years + now.....I had Hashimo in 99 , I just found this out today when I read my old hospital records from my thyroid surgry. They have looked for lupus , and all the other names, they said I have psortic aritis. I still feel it is more. I feel like it is more like lupus. One of the two test have came back positive in past, but they said no to lupus because the other half of test would say normal range? Now today since I found out I do have hassi , I do think it may be lupus an not psortic. Rmicade does help my symptons?
What type of thyroid surgery did you have?  Are you currently on a thyroid replacement medication?  If so, what med, at what dosage?

Sometimes, when thyroid levels are not adjusted properly, symptoms can still be present.  Pain is a common hypo symptom, as well.

If you have current thyroid labs, please post them, so members can better assess your situation. Be sure to include reference ranges, since these vary lab to lab and must come from your own report. You should be, routinely, getting tested for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.

What lupus tests came back, one positive the other 1/2 negative? Have you been tested for RA?

If auto immune you really really need a Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody blood and Thyroid Antithyroglobulin test with your T4, T4 Free, T3 TSH , The two antibody test show if or how much antibody's you have at that time that are attacking the thyroid, please readers if you do not see this test on your blood work, ASK for them. Keep copies for yourself, research, keep track each time of what is going up or down, you and your Dr are a team and need to work together, Mu Dr. Thank God doesn't have a ego issue and wants my imput in my own care.. I have SLE Lupus, Hashimoto's, Pernious and hemolytic anemia's, Hemacromatosis ( with anemia's due to Ferraton levels and family history, and sjourn's etc etc, also just found out I have conjestive heart failure. So join the club and take a ticket. ( kidding, have to laugh) need to laugh  Sorry my spell check just went out or I would have been more mindful of my horrible spelling.