Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimoto disease and positive ana
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hashimoto disease and positive ana

Do you get a positivei ANA with Hashimoto's disease?
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I did!
Blank
I hit send by accident! Oops!

Yes, I did get a positive ANA but I do not have lupus, RA or anything else. The antibodies were making the ANA positive.

Good luck! Hashi's is kicking my hi-knee :) lol
Blank
213044_tn?1236531060
Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.

I had an ANA test run two years ago and it was negative. Who knows what it may test at now.

One of our members tested positive one year, and negative the next. Not sure about the exact time span, but it went something like that. Maybe two years between tests? I forget.
Blank
623944_tn?1244039090
My understanding is that ANA tests are used to determine an autoimmune disorder and since Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder - it makes sense that your ANA was positive...
I have a positive ANA, but I also have morphea scleroderma - another auto-immune disease.
Blank
314892_tn?1264627503
Yes, the ANA can be positive with Hashi's (as well as other AD).

Mine was positive at 1:160 (diffuse) several years ago and was negative last year.

I just wrote a post like this last week!
Blank
523918_tn?1244553431
Yes, I have positive TPO antibodies and positive ANA's, but usually is not so high in Hashi as I got (1:615), ENDO sent me to an autoimmune doctor and I've been tested for most of possible diseases, came back negative. My ANa's were fine speckeled.  A good web site about ANA's:
http://www.medicinenet.com/antinuclear_antibody/index.htm
Blank
ANA is a screening tool. You can have a positive ANA and no symptoms of any autoimmune issue. You can have Hashimotos (thyroiditis) and have a positive ANA. When you have a positive ANA more tests are required to determine if you have other autoimmune issues. ANA is not a diagnosis, it is a screening tool only. Many people live with an elevated ANA all their lives, and nothing ever comes of it.
Blank
You can also get a positive ANA if you are on the birth control pill or certain antibiotics.
Blank
1680073_tn?1305640745
Hi,
My ANA also came back positive with Hasimoto's!
At the time no one know why (bad doctors!) but now I have a great doctor who sees the correlation.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...