Hashimoto's Depression
Can someone please explain what Hashimoto's depression is like.  When the Dr. asked if I've been depressed, I compared it to the depression I felt as a teenager with all the changes.  There was no bright spot I could see in my life.
   I can see my bright spots, my kids, my husband, my home, my sister, my friends, I love the job that I do (just have had problems with other issues surrounding my job), but lately I feel like I could cry at the drop of a hat.  Everything makes me feel somewhat sad, even if I can still smile.  If someone tells me of their troubles I immediately feel my eyes water.  And I've been feeling anxious and uneasy.  If this is depression it is not what I am used to.
   Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I still have about a week and a half before I will be PMSing.
Hi Autumn....are your thyroid levels off at this time? That can cause all kinds of mood problems and depression and anxiety even. This is very common with Hashi patients. Even after you have stabalized your levels, it can take months for the symptoms to alleviate. The good thing is that you are talking about it with your dr and others. What is your thyroid dr suggesting?
Autumn...Hello I'm new to all this stuff.  Recently I had a FNA of a nodule.  My dr. said I have thyroiditis and I went for blood work which I should recieve the results of  tomorrow.  I was really interested after reading your post.  I have a two and three year old so I just assumed my NEW emotions were a result of post childbirth or something related to that.  I  was never an emotional person until recently.  My story is definitely like yours.  If anyone tells me something even remotely sad  I begin to tear up.  I've been trying to think of ways to control this because it makes me uncomfortable.  I am so against taking any medication, I dont even take aspirin, but two weeks ago I  had my dr. put me on antidepressants, VERY mild, because I thought somethings wrong.  I'm now waiting on my blood work for my thyroid to come back to see what's going on with that.  I didnt even think that the "depression" could be related.  I will let you know what my results are.  Thanks for posting.  Good luck!    
Depression is a symptom of Hashi's  My Gp put me on Trazodone 50's, and they made me worse so I stopped taking them. I take 3mil Melatonin to help sleep and sometimes Lunesta #2 Now that I am seeing an Endo, I have been doing better.
Hi Autumn...have your doctor do a Thyroid Peroxidase test. All of my other thyroid tests were normal for years, yet I knew something wasn't right. I'd even been to Endocrinologists that didn't do this test. When it was finally done it was 10 X what it should be which indicated Hashimotos. My Internist wasn't even familiar with this test.

All the best........Fergie59
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at 30 and started treatment at 31.  I am now 35.
   I had blood work done in January which, according to the phone message I received, looked good.  Since then I've had a 3 day instance where my belly swelled so my pants didn't fit, and people were telling me that my face looked swollen.  After 3 days and a 14 hour sleep session that Friday night, I was back to normal.  I'm noticing more pain in my knees again, and this is the first time that I can say that I might being experiencing depression as well, though it's a very different type of depression than I was expecting.
   I am due to go back to my new Dr and do labs with her and a pap exam in a month and a half.  I should probably go ahead and go back earlier for the blood work since from the sound of it, this really is the depression people speak about being associated with Hashimoto's.
Anyone with hashimoto's should have their tsh supressed to between a .50-1.0 to feel their best and for their body to be able to heal, according to my endo. Anything over that and you will remain sick or get sicker feeling. Your levels aren't acceptable in a "normal range" only....not when it comes to hashi's. Can you find out what your last labs read?
I am going to go in Wednesday and get my blood work done instead of waiting.  When I hear back on those labs I am going to ask for a copy.
I had depression awhile back. I am doing much better. If your feeling bad then you should talk to your primary doctor about it. They will take care of you. But if your getting ready to pms, then your depression can cause that. Trust me I had pms so bad last week I was crying. It isn't any fun. Anyway hon, We all feel for you. Definately keep an eye on it.