Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimoto's Specialist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hashimoto's Specialist

Does anyone know if there is a wesite that you can look up docotors who specialize in thyroid especially Hashimoto's?  I live in Southern Indiana close to Louisville KY.
I know they have several Boards of Endocrinology in the US that they may refer Endo's, but to get one mainly for Hashimoto's is a long shot, I think you would start with a list from your health care provider and just keep calling from that list and asking questions pertaining to experience in Thyroid problems. I will be doing the same, since I will be moving to another state. Good Luck FTB4
I saw FTB4's message and thought you might have some use for this message I posted a couple of weeks back describing how to go about "interviewing" for a doctor.

The very best way is through personal referral from a happy thyroid patient.  Lacking that you can inquire if any Forum members in your area can recommend a good thyroid doctor.  If you get no good referrals, then you will have to resort to basically interviewing doctors (through asking questions of their office staff) to decide if you want to hire the doctor.  Some of the questions that come to mind are as follows:  1. When you do thyroid testing, do you check for free T3 and free T4 along with TSH?   2. What reference range do you use for TSH?  3. Do you take symptoms into consideration when making decisions on meds, or do you rely on lab tests only?  4. Which lab test do you rely on the most---free T3 or TSH?  5. Do you ever prescribe a thyroid med other than a T4 only type?  

If you get the wrong kind of answers to these questions, then you will be wasting your time and money going to that doctor.  By the way, you would expect Endos to be a better potential source for a good thyroid doc, due to their training and education,  but some of them specialize in other areas, so make sure they specialize in thyroid problems.    

Here is a link from the AACE that you can use to find Endos in your area of interest.

http://www.aace.com/resources/memsearch.php
I found my Dr on RateMD.com, on this sight the Dr's Patients rate them.  I couldn't be more happy with my doctor, he found out after 15 years that I have Hashi's and I'm now being treated.  Its just too bad I had to gain 100lbs over the last 15 years and stupid dr's telling me I just need to diet and exercise. Since being treated for 3 months now with Armor, I have lost 17lbs.  Your Doctor makes the difference, find one that is rated 5 stars.