Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis- Will thyroid removal help?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis- Will thyroid removal help?

Hello all, This is my first post on this site after years of looking through forums for advice and answers. I was diagnosed as having Hashimoto's Thyroiditis a year and seven months ago after having a miscarriage. I was having symptoms for about 2 1/2 years before I was actually diagnosed (hair falling out, nails not growing, depression, exhaustion & drastic weight gain). I have been on synthroid & cytomel (various doses) in the last year and a half and my TSH, Free T4 & T3 don't stay stable for more than 3 months. I keep going hypo to hyper over and over again no matter what dose I'm on it is seemingly never enough or too much within a short period of time.

My question for you all is I am considering asking my endo about complete removal of my thyroid. I know I will still have antibodies & some symptoms but won't controlling my TSH/T4 & T3 become much easier without my thyroid deciding to start and stop working every 3 months?

I just want to be able to be stable so I can lose weight and have children in the future (none of which is possible when hashi's is doing this hyper/hypo dance). It would be nice if I could sleep at night and have energy too but I'm not asking for much- babies and weight loss would be enough.

Right now- Synthroid 75 & Cytomel 5mcg
I also take 2,000 of vitamin D
65 iron (4x per week)
Prenatal vitamins
Calcium (w/ vitamin D)

I feel best when my TSH is a 1- but at my last test TSH was .46 and my Free T4 was 7.6 (highest it's ever been) any help, opinions or personal experiences would be amazing!
I haven't had my thyroid removed, but my endo and I both think that my thyroid is functionally "dead", and, yes, it is easier to manage the disease when you are on 100% replacement.  

What's the range on your FT4?  Did your doctor test FT3 as well?  Can you post a brief meds/labs history?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank