Hashimoto's Toxicosis and going hypo and hyper
This is kind of a survey/question to those of you diagnosed hypothyroid Hashimotos but who feel or actually are cycling into a hyper (not hypo) state. Do you seem to have symptoms of hyper like red in the face, hi b.p., shakiness, depression, hot all the time not hot flashes, hot tempered, double vision or poor vision etc etc but yet you feel run down, tired, fuzzy mentally, slow gastro processes so you go to the doctor and he/she says you are right in target range for tsh below 3.0 or thereabouts and great free t4 free t3 levels and all else looks good so maybe they raise your thyroid med dose thinking you're still a little hypo (not hyper) or have you lower dose in case you are actually hyper and for a short while you feel better or feel worse right away so now you don't know if you're up or down ? Yes, that is a run on sentence but hopefully I'm clear - here is my theory - maybe you have gone so hyper your body is shutting down or slowing down to protect itself or it's just breaking  down altogether - Has anyone had this experience and if so what do you do about it or what does your doctor do or say to help you? And if our thyroid gland worked normally would pituitary and other supporting systems output consistently same amounts ? I know this is a good question for Dr. Lupo as he actually believes there is a phenomena as Hashitoxicosis unlike my past 3 endos. I'm curious what you folks think about this and what your experiences have been.
Thank you.  It's funny that you would mention BBT - mine has constantly for years been 97.6 or slightly lower.  Anything over that and I am feverish.  I asked about the dosage the last time I was there and they said it was too soon so I have to wait until October to have my blood rechecked again.  Everyday I feel new symptoms, anger outbursts, scratchy eyes.  I don't have an Endocrinologist - do you all think it is imperative to have one or is a family practioner qualified enough to  make these determinations?  I love my doctor but I don't want this to continually get worse.  Every week they ask if I feel better yet and when I say "not really", the nurse looks at me like I am crazy.  I should direct her to this website.  
I haven't felt my old self again since last year i was diagnosed. so believe me, you are not crazy. like today. i feel very blue, and it's Friday! normally i feel happy on Friday. if you can't see your Dr sooner, i don't know, if you want to try to raise the dose just a little bit yourself? I am doing that myself... you can always cut back. just be very careful, don't go beyond 25 mcg.  also some people think take selenium helps.

with regard to Dr. VS. Endo....personal experience, the Endo i saw didn't help much, he just orderred a whole bunch of tests(he suspected my adrenal as well), when the result all came back "normal", he didn't even bother to listen to how my feel and asked me to go back to my family doctor..... since you have good relationship with your family doc, perhaps you just need to raise more questions next time: for example, can  you put me on a different medicine?  do you think this dose is right? or do you suspect i have other issues?

Gee, hope this helps.
I know what you mean about feeling blue today.  I do too and it's not normal for me. I am always the smiling happy funny person and no one knows how to react to me these days.  

I was thinking that might be the case with the Endo dr.  but I wasn't sure. My daughter had Graves and took the Radioactive Iodine and is now full blown Hypo and she always saw an Endo and he didn't do any more than our family dr.  I think you're right - I just need to actually talk to the doctor about it instead of the nurse and just sitting idly by while they mess around with my health.  It's just so new to me and honestly, when they told me I had this, I thought it would just go away after a few months on medicine.  No one told me anything.  What little I know is from researching the internet and until I got on this site, I had no idea how horrible this disease is - I thought "no big deal, take some pills for awhile and you'll be ok."  hmm.....guess I was wrong huh!! LOL
I don't know if I'm bipolar or if I'm swinging back and forth between hypo and hyper with Hashimoto's Toxicosis.

I've struggled with Hashimoto's for decades.  I've had all kinds of horrible problems with it...tired, cold, body aches, foggy brained, falling asleep all the time, chronic sinus infections, dry skin (especially dry cracked heels), hair falling out and the hair that didn't fall turned gray/white within a matter of months (Was only in my 30's when this happened!  Way too young for gray/white hair.), rapid large amount of weight gain within a matter of months (especially around my middle), elevated blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, GERD, glaucoma, bowel problems (alternate between constipation and diarrhea), "female problems" (irregular periods, then no periods at all, then developed ovarian cysts, then developed large fibroids and had hysterectomy), moon face and neck swollen, facial hair growth, strange hump at the back of my neck, weird looking purple marks on my stomach, breasts, hips, thighs, night sweats, heart alternates between skipping beats and rapid beating and the list of symptoms goes on and on.  On another message board it was suggested I might also be suffering from PCOS and/or Cushing's Syndrome besides Hashimoto's.  Will see my doc again in a couple of weeks and will discuss this with him.

I'm on Armour Thyroid.  Doc worked me up to 3 grains (180 mg) and I still had low thyroid symptoms so he upped my dosage to 4 grains (240 mg) which I understand is a very high dose.

Now I bounce between feeling hyper and hypo.  My last lab said my TSH was 0.02 which is extremely low, but doc says I'm OK and not to worry about low TSH.  Hmmm...don't know about that.

Anyway, the worst of it all for me is the swings between hypo and hyper and the mood swings.  I go from being very manic to being very depressive.  Love the highs, hate the lows.

When I'm low I'm difficult to be around.  My husband has to walk on egg shells around me when I'm at my worst.  Friends and relatives stay away from me when I'm like that.  The depression is so bad that there are days I don't want to get out of bed.  Went to doc and complained about depression and doc prescribed antidepressants.  I went online and read about the antidepressant he prescribed and I didn't like the list of possible side effects so I have not taken the antidepressant.

When I am experiencing my lows, I don't want to get out of bed.  Everything from my head to my toes aches.   I move very slow and talk very slow and sluggish and have a difficult time thinking clearly.  I have trouble finding the words I want to say and forming sentences.   I can't remember from one minute to the next.  My short term memory is shot when I'm in a depressive state.  In my depressive state I think very negative thoughts and I cry a lot.

When I experience the highs, I feel euphoria.  I'm so up I want to do cartwheels around the house!  I talk constantly and fast, I am antsy and can't sit still.  Can't sleep.  Can't even concentrate on TV or a book and all I want to do is get out of the house and go go go.

Does anyone else have these extreme mood swings?  I'm wondering if my very high highs and very low lows are from Hashimoto's Toxicosis or if I'm actually bipolar.
test message
Hi there, just wanted to say by all means have your doc check for anything else you or he/she thinks could be wrong (especially if your insurance will pick it up) On the other hand it does sound like you could have gone hyper - which happens to many of us so always err on the cautious side and ask doc if you could try lesser dose to see how you feel - hyper doesn't always mean energy or weight loss - this often has the same effects as hypo but far harder on your body. Be careful especially with Armour - it's way more potent due to having t3 component. I just found a new doc who will test all my hormone levels besides thyroid so I did blood work and now am waiting to do saliva test for other levels and cortisol, adrenal etc. Also, this doc treats only w/ bioidentical hormones not chemical or pregant mare's urine, ie. Premarin, Depo, etc. Do get your hormone levels checked, also, I quit eating wheat 9/23/08 and this solved alot of gastro problems - also, I exercise and eat no hydrogenated oils and eat organic, no hormone foods. All these things do a world of good for folks w/ immune system problems like Hashimoto's. Also, started accupuncture w/ a doc at a teaching hospital and taking chinese herbs. This has helped me feel fabulous, down side is it is expensive for accupuncture. Went to an endo at same hospital and he couldn't get over how small my thyroid is - it used to be huge, now I swallow handfuls of vitamins no problem. Do all you can to help yourself. I wish I could be of more help. I went off all thyroid hormone 3 months ago and feel great because I eventually go hyper even on only 15mcg a day. I know my tsh has gone down 10 points since accupuncture and herbs so right now I will see what happens with other hormones which are low (estrogen & testosterone) and will then think about dealing with taking thyroid hormone again. Wish I had some insight for you but I always used to ask doc to lower dose to see if I felt better because the hypo/hyper thing gets so confusing it is sometimes hard to tell what you are so worst thing is to go too high as you don't want to go hyper.***Be sure to get vitamin D checked - this is often low in thyroid patients and can cause depression if too low.By all means take vitamins if you need to. Best wishes.
Hello, yes I have hashimotos, it was found out 3 years ago, I have family history of thyroid conditions, my grandmother my mother and my sister, my sister was found to have hashis to, 3 years ago I had 4 months of feeling rotten, feeling sick, tired, really run down, i have come down sick again its been about 4 weeks now it is the same thing, my thyroid levels are normal, i have the goiter and enlarged thyroid with nodels, I can feel it in the left side of my neck it chokes me, it takes me ages to eat a meal, my hair is dry, my throut feels dry, when i burp my thyroid hurts on the left side, my weight has gone up, i have reflux, I am not on thyroid medicine but my sister and mother are, and my grandmother was to, my head feels foggy and i have really bad headaches, my hands and feet are cold and sweat alot, i have heart flutters about twice a week, other times more flutters. I wake up in the middle of the night with coughing fits, muscle sore throut, i carry a water bottle with me everywhere in case i have a coughing fit. well i think thats everything, my thoughts r with u all.
did you say you were'nt on thyroid meds? It really sounds like you should be if you were diagnosed with Hashimotos. Don't let all of our problems scare you off - many people take thyroid meds with no side effects and they feel great. We just happen to be the exceptions to the rule.
Have you read about parathyroids? They are not related to thyroids, except to be neighbors. Check out the site: www.parathyroid.com, also B12 neuropathy. B12 is often cucurrent with hypothyroidism, but doesn't look like a cause and effect, but still researching this.
KatT333
In my experience, taking the thyroid meds can lower your magnesium.  Taking vitamin D also lowers magnesium.  So often doctors only test for D, then you are already low on magnesium AND taking d which lowers it further.  Get your Magnesium RBC checked - NOT just the regular magnesium, insist on the RBC test.

Good luck.

And PS - I have hashimotos and was in the ER with .03 TSH a few weeks ago.  I was going into thyroid storm.  Everyone is different so PLEASE don't try to make your hashimotos close to zero if it isn't right for YOUR body.  If it is GREAT.  If not, be careful. It could kill you.
Just wanted to ask is it likely to switch between hypo and hyper for the rest of ones life?? I couldnt bear that! Im more hyper but tests show hypo. I feel like there is so much strain on my heart. Does any1 else feel that?

Have to say I feel so comforted and normal reading these threads.

Thanku every1
Hi - not all of us with Hashimoto's go hypo/hyper but some do and doctors don't always believe us because they will say your lab values are perfect or you're still hypo (but we feel hyper). A good doctor will listen to how you feel not your lab values. I tend to stay a little more hypo (with my doctor's okay) because hyper makes my heart hurt and I'm too out of breath. Talk to your doctor - if he/she is listening then your doctor should find a happy medium with you to feel better. By the way, I was tested for Graves too and it was negative for the antibodies - some of us just react this way and there are numerous theories why. It may take some months to find an amount that works for you with your doctors help. Hope it all works out for you!
I agree with CourageToHeal.  My thyroid nightmare started as preeclampsia back when I was pregnant 11 years ago.  I bloated up like a tick, got jaundiced, looked and felt like poo.  

fast forward 8 years.   Systemic poison ivy necessitates Prednisone treatment for 3 months.  Extreme reaction prompts dermatologist to take me off prednisone COLD TURKEY.    End up in Emergency Room for Cushing's Syndrome caused by Prednisone.  

Fast forward another year.  I end up in ICU for edema so extreme that my lungs fart, my heart is enlarged, and abdomen is very distended.  Idiot doctor diagnoses Congestive Heart Failure (falsely) and suggests a lap band because my "60 pound weight gain over 2-1/2 months must be to over-gorging" myself. Heart pounding out of chest.  Out of breath.  Vertigo, night sweats, flush when voiding, narcolepsy, chills, cold extremeties, rash (for 11 years now) on arms that comes and goes, periodic hair loss, blurred vision, headaches and ringing in my ears.  Doctor suggests I must be bipolar or depressed. (DEPRESSED????   Ya THINK?!?!?!)  His solution to the edema is to put me on Torsemide and Furosemide to keep water at non-dangerous levels and fails to warn me that they FRY your kidneys.

Fast forward 1 year.  Get second opinion on Congestive Heart Failure at Heart First.  No CHF anywhere.  Enlarged right ventricle from edema, but no plaque, no congestive anything... great circulation from head to toe.   PreHypertensive.

Fast forward 2 years.  Ob/gyn takes one look at me and says that although my TSH and T4 look 'a bit low, but nothing significant' puts me on 20 mcg of synthroid.  Over half my symptoms (but not the edema) get much better.

Fast forward to 4 months ago.  Ob/gyn says she's going to triple my synthroid because it isn't working as well anymore, and she's "operating on a hunch".  

Fast forward to two weeks ago.  Doctor who claims the swollen lymph nodes I'm concerned about (because 90% of the time they mean cancer) are nothing more than an enlarged thyroid.  Orders cat scan and sonogram to prove to me I'm being hysterical.  

Fast forward to today.  Cat scan and sonograms both suggest prior surgical removal of thyroid... because left side is MISSING and right side is "remnant, probably missed in removal surgery".  Thing is, I had no reason to have my thyroid removed because everyone insisted my thyroid levels were normal the whole time. Cat scan also reveals cloudy liver, "probably fatty deposits".  Suggests biopsy to make sure.

Fast forward to this coming Monday.  Having entire abdomen lined with mesh to repair 6 hernias caused by abdominal distension, having gall bladder removed (large stone) which because of mesh, later removal would prove 'most problematic', and liver biopsy.  Two weeks from now, going to rheumatologist and oncologist to rule out other scary things.  But the writing is on the wall:  My doctor is an idiot, probably failed high school anatomy, and completely missed Hashi's toxicosis and myxedema.  Ob/gyn probably saved my life.

In any event, enlarged lymph nodes are probably from Hashi's.  God knows it's pretty much run its course (because there's nothing left of it), and I'm lucky to be alive.  

The symptoms that started with my pregnancy (preeclampsia) never completely went away.  They just waxed and waned.  I am convinced that since liver deposits/damage are caused by preeclampsia, and because preeclampsia is also an autoimmune response as is Hashimoto's, there MUST be a connection.
Your life will never be the same once you get this disease.  I had every medical problem in the book.  The toughest part is that it seems to mess with your emotional well being.  I have never felt the same as my pre-thyroid days.  I have high BP, all kinds of immune system problems, advance sinus disease, etc.

It is just one thing after another.  

I was diagnosed with Graves dieases/enlarged thyroid gland and then the it burned itself out after a year and went hypo.  It was unbalanced for the first five years and then it settled down.  It seems that I have never returned to my previous emotional state.
Wow! You've been through hell and back. How awful! Hugs.

I had pre-myxedema and was quite ill so I know what that is like. By the time a doctor treated me with a high enough dose of thyroid medication she told me I had about three weeks to live. I could barely lift my hand to pet my cat who was sitting on my lap.

The first doctor to treat my thyroid disease under treated me. As a result I suffer from the bounces - back and forth between hyper and hypo. She also told me I have "garden variety" hypoT and so did the next doctor who treated me. However, my endo says I have Hashimoto's.

Right now everything is okay for the most part. I just got over being hypo again after being close to hyper again, my TSH was .71 and I was losing lots of weight without much effort. What sent me over the edge was another attack of thyroiditis this last winter.

I haven't been stable since first treated in late 2003.
I was having terrible symptoms with a normal thyroid level. The antibodies however were high. My endo started me on a lose dose of Synthroid. I then complained that I was just getting worse so he tripled my dose. I ended up in ER a few times afterwards because I thought I was going to die. Doctors felt it was a thyroid storm, but there was nothing ER could do for me but give me ativan.  Well, A few days later I ended up in the hospital for psychosis, apparently I wasn't really sleeping and was up for 72 hrs. The theory of my psychiatrist was thyroid toxicosis since I never really had any issues afterwards. Needless to say I did not visit my endo again (he apparently had some law suit issues I was not aware of).
Hi. If you were having a thyroid storm, the ER should have put you on Beta blockers to control it. I can understand the Ativan use as thyrotoxicosis can cause a very high level of anxiety. I had a thyroiditis episode that gave me two different thyroid storms while I was being treated with a chemotherapy. Unbeknownst to me I was a Hashi's patient and the Interferon really ticked off my immune system, causing it to wage war on my thyroid. The beta blockers were temporary and they controlled the high heart rate and blood pressure that the thyroiditis caused.
It sounds like you may have been in a hyper state when you were started on the meds. Do you have any labs that the more knowledgeable can see from that time and now? They may be able to tell you what was going on...~MM
Please, please tell me the name of your internist.  I'm really scared and can't take these symptoms anymore.
I was diagnosed with Hashinoto's 7 yrs ago. My thyroid levels went up and down for 4 yrs. It was awful and I couldn't go on medication for fear it would be the wrong one at the wrong time of the cycle. I finally had my tsh go way below 0 and I was also tested for Graves markers which also came back positive.  So, I had both. My endo doc told me a small percentage of Hashi people flip to Graves but still have Hashi markers too.

I went on anti-thyroid med and after 10 months went into remission with my Graves.  I've been in remission almost 2 yrs now. I always have the possibility of it coming back. And I also have the possibility of my Hashi's kicking in as well.

hello i am amazed at all the people here with hypo/hyper symptoms..i too can relate..i was dianosed with hashies then went hyper on synthyroid the dr took me off the meds and im still hyper i have a multinodular goiter and i feel awful im very tired my eyes are so bad (double vision).and muscles ache ..sooo many symptoms of hypo but my tsh is very low ..so the dr says im hyper..im just learning about all this stuff.as i was diagnoised only a year ago...dr now says fybromalgia is the the cause of muscle soreness..i dont know ..i still think i have hypo symtoms even though they say im hyper i think i should be back on synthyroid as it did make me feel more energetic..the dr prescribes meds for nerves and sleeping ..i dont like taking pills that just hide what is relly going on...please advise..im scared and tired of feeling this way........thankyou.for letting me vent
I have been in the same boat as many of you have.  I've been trying to get on the right meds, doses, and other meds to help the systems from other meds for almost six years now.  I just received the last round of 22 various blood tests and the ones that stick out in my mind and would love some feedback and/or thoughts or concerns.  

TSH: 8.7, (normal 0.450 - 4.500),  
Vitamin D -25 Hydroxy: 22.4  (normal 32.0 - 100),  
AM cortisol: 32.6, (normal 6.2 - 19.4),  
PM cortisol: 19.1, (normal 2.3 - 11.9),  
Thyroid antibodies: 140 (normal 0 - 34),
Thyroid Peroxidase: 215 (normal (0 - 40),
Thyroxin -T4: 0.23 (normal 0.83 - 1.77),
Reverse T3: 39 (normal 90 - 350).
My Dr. had ordered more, but Lab Corp. either lost the work or can't find the paperwork.  Who knows, but I won't be going back there again.
I know exactly how Beenewt3 and Terri have felt.  I have been trying to find the right combination for over 5 years and I'm not there yet.  What has been the biggest struggle for me is the weight gain, which hit me hard and fast.  I do pilates weekly and changed my diet and I have actually gained a pound or two here and there, but I have not lost a signal pound.  I also sweat like I just stepped out of the show and this continues all day long.  I''m at a crossroads at the moment.  A friend of mine who has Hasimotos goes to a really good doctor, an endocrinologist, and she recommended that I make an appointment with him,  Unfortunately, his first avaialble is not until December, but I take this as a good sign.  I'm on the list in case there is a cancellation.  Well, I have taken up enough of ya'lls time, but if anyone has had numbers like what I posted and or know exactly what they mean, please don't hesitate to contact me.  I would really appreciate all of you that give a large amount of your time and support here help others.

gijane140  

A couple of observations for you.  First, your Vitamin D is way too low.  Hasn't your doctor told you to take D supplements?  You need to get the Vitamin D level up toward the middle of the range.  Second, can that T4 result actually be that low?  Please double check the test result.  

What medication are you taking and what is the daily dosage?  On what basis has the doctor decided to change your meds over the last 6 years?  Was it based on your TSH levels?  Do you know if you were tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4?
I am a Nutritionist.  When you are diagnosed with Hashimoto's, you have an auto-immune disease.  You need to find a Chiropractor that deals with blood work and or does muscle testing.  They can find the root cause of your auto-immune disease and you will be amazed how fast you get better.

Your auto-immune disease is what causes the thyroid to become disturbed.  This in turn causes the reaction to hypo and hyper thyroid.  Find the root cause, correct the issue.

About Synthroid.  It is a synthetic product.  If at all possible you need to go to a natural product.  Armour is a natural product.  When you put a synthetic product in your body, you just give it something else to battle.  There is a pharmacy in Madison, WI called Women's International Pharmacy. #800-279-5708.  They can compound something called P-Thyroid.  You need a prescription from your DR.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis about 10 years ago.  I had my 1st bout with thyroid problems after my daughter was born 32 years ago.  That lasted 4 years.  It came back with a vengence 10 years ago.  I decided to get into nutrition because the regular doctors couldn't really help me.  I see an MD who is a Nutritionist as well.  We resolved the auto-immune problem and I no longer take medication!!!!!!!  Feed the body, heal the body.  Muscle testing can get to the root cause.  Mine happened to be scars!  Scars can capture the electrical signal sent from the brain at any point in your life.  They then fire randomly and cause other issues.  Mine just happened to be thyroiditis.

Some good books to read are: "Solved, the Riddle of Ilness" by Stephen E. Langer, M.D. or "Hypothyroidism Type 2" by Mark Starr, M.D.

Hope this gives Hope to you.

JJ
Members have replied to posts about this concept several times.  I do so again only to prevent members from running across this post and wondering if this could really be true.  

The whole concept seems to be based on the belief that Hasimoto's is due to gluten getting into the body due to the problem of "leaky gut".  Then the body supposedly produces antibodies to attack the gluten molecule.  Also, since the gluten molecule is supposedly very similar to thyroid gland tissue, the antibodies also attack the thyroid glands.  There is never any explanation of why there are actually two different antibodies involved with Hashi's,, TPO ab and TG ab.  Neither has there been any scientific data provided to prove that the proposed treatment eliminates the antibodies, even though  tests before and after treatment would be relatively easy to do.  Instead, all that is provided is anecdotal information.

So until statistically valid proof is available, I'll continue to question if this is only a new way of making additional money from thyroid patients, through extensive testing and the sale of supplements available only from practitioners.  
omg!. I have exact symptoms as you described.  I've been on and off the synthetic meds never feel right.
As soon as they put me on synthroid and Levoxyl even with low dosage of mcg, i would feel hyper like heart symptoms. "Not racing heart. Pressure on the heart. A dull ache. Skipped beats and once in a while a little rev up for two seconds. A feeling that the heart is way past tired, and ready to just stop. Normal blood pressure and heart rate"  exactly as you described.  Then when i am off the meds, then i feel tire, chills, depress.  My question is even with the hyper symptoms, do you still keep yourself on the sythetic meds?  I have hashimoto too? is is why it causes hyper and hypo feeling?  What have your Dr. done for you so far? Please help!  I've been suffering for last  years, and I am not sure i should take the meds or not anymore, because i feel bad either way.
Hi Terri Thyroid

" I now have a wonderful internist who is very knowledgable about all forms of thyroid disease and attends conferences frequently about these issues "
who is your Dr.  I've seen  Endos and i think they think i am making those symptoms up.  Even though my blood test shows -2-3 Tsh when i was on the Synthroid or Levoxyl but my symptoms are shown hyper.  I told my Dr and they don't believe me!  I am desperate searching for a Dr who have seen the case like me and know how to deal my condition.  Is your doctor in LA area?
This thread is very old and many prior posters are no longer involved with us.  You will get lots more response if you will click on the orange Post a Question button at top of page and re-post this under your own name.
" I actually was freaked b/c it reminded me of when I was pregnant and the baby would kick--it's like a quick little jerk or something--calves, abdomen (sometimes).  It comes and goes---some days I don't have it at all.  I did have the weakness and sluggish feeling "

Yes i have that feeling too sometimes.  This is all started after my miscarriage, then i was on the rollercoaster of hypo and hyper symptoms.  My Dr don't really believe that small dosage can cause hyper symtoms, but i feel every bit of it.  At this point, i don't know if i should or should not take the meds anymore.  
I am on several facebook forums (5 different ones with amazing information) for Hashimoto and have learned so very much.  I am taking a natural thyroid compound from a compound pharmacy since I had so many allergic reactions to fillers in the drug companies.  I've recently started Low Dose Naltrexone as autoimmune treatment for Hashi. (Look up Low Dose naltrexone Homepage).  I quit eating ALL GRAINS, Dairy or soy. (because of the USA putting extra proteins in the grain seeds to mass produce the crops (that our bodies don't know how to digest. (See Robyn O'Brien on Youtube).  The USA puts chemicals in the grain seeds so the crops produce their own pesticides.  I eat caveman foods (organic natural meats with no hormones, fresh and frozen vegetables and fruits, Penta water without fluoride toxins, BPA or chemicals.  I found a D.O. doctor for the Hashimoto since 3 endos, 3 primary care doctors, and 5 specialists did not know enough about autoimmune diseases.  This is what Dr. Noel Rose says about most medical doctors: "Most physicians went through medical school at a time when we didn't understand much about autoimmune disease," says Noel Rose, M.D., Ph.D., director of the Johns Hopkins Autoimmune Disease Research Center in Baltimore. "It's not prominent on their mental radar screen."
Unfortunately, this delay to diagnose has huge costs. The longer a patient goes untreated, the greater her risk for irreparable damage.”
One you have one autoimmune disease, you are likely to develop more than one autoimmune disease.  Hashimoto is NOT a thyroid disease.  It is an autoimmune disease.  You do not cure an autoimmune disease by having the thyroid removed.  A good resource for autoimmune diseases information is from AARDA -(American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, Inc.)   Just info.  I'm doing so much better with all the changes I've made.  It's true, you are what you eat.  
Yes, I have some hyper symptoms (intermittent double vision, getting hot and sweaty, getting the shakes in my hands, depression, etc.) and many hypo symptoms (diagnosed with Hashimoto's in November 2010). My blood work comes back fantastic. I asked to have my anti-TPO Ab levels checked, but last time I went in the lab didn't draw it because it was on the last page or something stupid, so now I have to go back in. Grrr. My hypothesis is that if my Ab levels are high it could explain the hyper symptoms - the antibodies could be attacking my thyroid, causing follicles to burst and dumping thyroid hormone into my system and making me hyper (called "thyroid dump"). But it would have been helpful to have the levels measured when I was experiencing the worst of those (things have since gotten somewhat better). We'll see.
my tsh was .04 now .01  I feel fine & vitals are great
I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroididus in 2010, then was told it was Graves disease.. I took beta blockers and anti-thyroid meds for 2 yrs then was told to take a radio-active iodine treatment.. which I did, and now my endo says I am now hypo insteadd of  hyper.. I am currently taking Levothyroxine 100mg.. within 4 days of taking this i had a complete loss of vision for 2 hrs, and since my vision is always blurred, ive started having constant migraines, never have an appetite and have to force myself to eat( which is not much at all) all in all I feel like I did before I eever took the treatment except no heart palpitations.. I feel wired, cant sleep.. has any one else had anything similar? my endo acts like none of it is a big deal, but i have two small children at home and this really scares me.  
Hold in there ksue, I'm 51 and its frustrating when they blame things on menopause.  I tell the doctors off. Luckily, i have artillery backup ( literally), I'm in the navy attached to a heavy weapons unit and go everywere with them, hot flashes and all, so I quite them down with the menopause bs. I can no longer do my military job because of  all this tyroid nonsense.  I will be going to ask for  rai treatment  and get this up and down  silly thyroid business over and done with, and be just like our former president George Sr and his wife Barbara Bush and worry only about treating the hypo.  I figure, if you are going to have both symptoms lingering around anyways, why not simplify  and just worry about one. if I don't have it done here, i will go oversees and do it.
hope every body finds what finally will work for you. Stay strong!!
okay this is to everyone.  I have been feeling like complete crap for a while now.  So a month or two ago i noticed a lump on my neck.  I went to the doctor and had blood work and a needle biopsy which was not fun.  She called and told me that i have thyroiditis and its autoimmune.  And that it was not safe to put me on any medication because she wants to see if it will just 'level out' and if not she will just give me hypothyroid medication.  But she also told me  ' this will eventually turn into being hypothyroid.'  I think i am switching back and forth from hyper to hypo.  When she called me she said at the time my tsh levels were low and the rest was normal.  I am confused and waiting for her to call me back again because i just dont have enough information from her.  My weight keeps changing rapidly and i can barely function some days and i keep going from constipated to diarrhea (sorry tmi) and i go to hot to cold and actually being able to think and being completely cloudy headed..   She said that the tiredness was just normal but she can't medicate.  Shoudl i see another doctor?  i am so lost
So i have been hypothryioid for about 20 years, 3 years ago i had parathyroid surgery, they removed 2...during the surgery he did a biopsy and found out i had hasimotos...now i go between hypo and hyper....so a question...yesterday i ate some rye bread (gluten) i don't really do a gluten free diet but try to stay away from it as much as possible,  but today i am extremely hyper could it be due to the rye?
She can't medicate? The tiredness is just "normal"?  I would see another doctor for sure.
Yes!! You are describing me to a T!

I want to use natural dessicated thyroid or the synthetic liatrix,
to see if that is better than Synthroid.

No gluten and no nightshade veggies, less broccoli cabbage, and less soy.

Diet seems to be key. I'm keeping my remaining bit of thyroid glad!
hugs
Joni
my doctor again told me there is nothing she can do for me.  She just wants to watch it.  I keep cycling and i know it.  I go from one extreme to the next.  I can't take it.  I work full time and i also go to school. So the past three days i have had heart fluttering and sweats and ectremely hot.  i couldnt sleeplast night at all.  I am going to see an endo next week.  hopefully they will be able to do something for me since my doctor wont medicate or anything.  
oh and my weight has dropped about 5-6 pounds since 2 days ago when i started feeling like i was hypo again.  and when i feel like im hypo i have gained up to about 10 pounds in about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.  and this keeps going back and forth.  its really annoying
I have had my TSH levels tested for almost a year now.  My TSH level has jumped around from 0.02 to 48.4.  Finally went to a Endocrinologist.  Sometime back I was on the .175 and for quite sometime now they have had me on 200mcg.  Said that the dose I need is in between the two and there is no other does manufactured between .175 and the 200mcg.  I have had a variety of side effects that I believe is from my thyroid problem.  Some of them have been very frightening.  Twice I did something that I have no recollection of at all.  Don't even remember it after someone tells me what I did.  The brain is just not functioning.  How severe have your side effects been?
I too am going from one extreme to the other.  I had a Family Doctor named Dr. Shumate ( who has 11 children )  The most amazing doctor I have had the benefit of overseeing my health.  In 2006 my 21 year old daughter was killed.  Within the next year I lost my job.  Eventually I lost my cobra and went on disability for PTSD and dissociative behaivor.  When I blew off the charts from hypo to hyper during this time I was seeing Dr. Shumate.  He wasted no time and completely took me off the Synthroid...I can't remember but I would say for at least 2 weeks or longer.  Then he very slowly put me back on it taking baby steps with the dosage.  And he corrected my problem within a relatively short period of time.  Family Practice doctor..not an Endocrinologist.  Due to disability I could no longer see him anymore due to insurance.  He is such a wonderful doctor who "CARES" that whenever I get really uncertain about things I can leave him a message and he has called me back every single time to advise me.  I will be contacting him tomorrow.  Mainly because I don't agree what the Endo doctor is doing.  What really ***** with a thyroid problem is everytime they alter the dosage you have to wait six weeks to see where you are and if they are going to change your dose.  I have gone from .175 to 200mcg.  It was determined that the dose I need is in the middle of those two  numbers.  The manufacturer does not produce a pill of any different dose...it's either .175 which is too low for me or 200mcg which is too high for me.  So I bounce back and forth. For awhile they had me taking 1/2 of one dosage that I had and 1/2 of another which equated to the approx. .186 that my preferred physician believes I need to be on.  Here is a list in order date of what my TSH has been...six weeks between each one.  TSH 48.85  then TSH 15.57 then TSH 0.03 then 0.02 then 15.85 then 0.02  I f****k give up.  Too complicated..too much time in between dosage changes and then they still don't have it right.  I haven't even begin talking about the side effects....OMG.... I will be dropping off a copy of my TSH levels and a note to Dr. Shumate (the FANTASTIC doctor) tomorrow before I go to the hospital to check in on my almost 89 year old neighbor who is having worse difficulties than I.
This is a very old thread and I'm sure none of the previous posters will respond to your post.

You are correct that there is no dose between 175 and 200 mcg levo; therefore, in order to get a dosage between the 2, why not try alternating them -- 175 mcg one day, 200 mcg the next, which will give you an average of 187.5 mcg/day. I've done this numerous times, when I needed a dosage between the manufactured doses.

That said, if you are only getting tested for TSH, you really don't know what dose you need.  TSH is a pituitary hormone and can fluctuate greatly, even intra day; it is not necessarily indicative of actual thyroid hormone status.  

You need to be tested for the active thyroid hormones, which are Free T3 and Free T4.  Free T4 is considered a storage hormone and can't be used directly; it must be converted to Free T3, which is the hormone used directly by the cells.

It's possible that you need to add a medication with a T3 component, such as cytomel; or switch to a desiccated porcine medication, containing both T3 and T4.  

Without adequate testing, there's no way you can get adequate treatment and get your levels stabilized.  

It takes 4-6 weeks for dosage change to take place, when one is on a T4 only medication.  It simply takes patience to regulate levels, but patience does no good, if you aren't getting the proper tests.
I have been diagnosed with hashimotos and have had blood work for a year every 6 weeks and the dr increases my medication every time. I became irritated over it and ingested a dropper of lugals iodine and my lab work was normal for the next 4 lab tests. just saying!!!
As I pointed out, just above, this is a very old thread and none of the previous posters are active on the forum any more, so I'm sure Karlyward won't respond.

You should be aware that iodine is usually contraindicated for those with Hashi's, as it makes things much worse.

Hi my names Selina and I'm 23 years old. I was diagnosed with hashimotos about 4-5 years ago when I found myself extremely exhausted and not really able to concentrate at my desk job. I almost didn't graduate high school and I have been depressed for years. I am on 100 mcg of levothyroxine and I am literally just taking my Drs opinion and going with it since I don't have health insurance and go to a clinic to be treated. I was referred to a psychiatrist about a month ago who prescribed Wellbutrin for me because I was apparently depressed and the depression was the main reason I couldn't concentrate or remember anything. I just got a new job and I'm extremely frustrated with myself I'm in the field of sales and people and I am falling behind becaus I can hardly remember/recite my script unless I go over and over and over them again and again. I have horrible memory, the depression is there, I get extremely emotional, and I feel like I can't accomplish the things in life that I want to because I'm held back by all of this. I have been diagnosed with hypo I don't eat gluten or soy. Does anyone know what could possibly be going on with me?
Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Also if tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, please post those as well.
Hi there! I feel the same way as you! I know this is an old post, but how are you doing now? Any improvement?
I am very doubtful that you will get a response from wagbird.  There are a number of members with considerable knowledge and experience with hypothyroidism.  If you will post our thyroid related results and reference ranges, along with symptoms you are having, we will be happy to help iinterpret and give you our recommendations.
Synthroid made my hair fall out. I switched to Armour and it is fine now.
I understand why you might think it was the Synthroid, but more likely it was due to inadequate levels of Free T3 when taking the Synthroid.  Frequently we hear from members taking T4 meds that their body is not adequately converting the T4 med to T3.  Free T3 correlates best with hypo symptoms.  So switching to Armour would have raised your Free T3 level and helped relieve hypo symptoms.  What were your dosages and Free T4 and Free T3 levels before and after the switch?