Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimotos and painful eyes and headaches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi hashimoto's Nation,

I hope everyone is getting better.  I was recently diagnosed with hashi's after about three months of mind numbing headaches and visual changes.  Naturally, I thought I had a brain tumor and had a cat scan done at the emergency room when one of the headaches got progressively worse.  I also started to have ocular migraines, something I have never had before.  The greatest concern I have now is my eyesight, I have been to three eye specialist...all telling me my eyes are fine.  Is it just me or do anyone else's eyes and head hurt all the time.  My vision also got blurry for a while and I really got light sensitive, I also have more floaters than I have ever had before.  Some of them are dark and they play tricks on my eyes, as if I am seeing something that is not there.  I have seen the opthamologist and he has examined my retinas twice and he said I suffered from PVD and he said it was normal.  I guess it is jsut a coincedence that it happened the same time my thyroid really started working me over.   I have recently begun replacement therapy.  While the headaches are better, they are never completely gone.  Does anyone have any advice for me on how to manage the headaches... Thanks alot.  
Okay, first of all: I have slightly elevated TgAbs, normal TSH. No diagnosis as of yet (Dr. want to repeat labs) but have had numerous symtoms (symptoms). In regards to yours:

I have experienced (in relation to your post):

headaches in the back of my head (never was a "headache" person)
floaters (they are common, however I developed quite a few in a short time)
burning eyes

last year, did experience blurry vision at times but it hasn't happened since. Knock on wood!

Last year, before I even knew anything about thyroid...I went to an Optometrist on account of eyes. My vision changed from normal to a tad far-sighted. I'm 35.

Hopefully with optimum medication, you will find a complete resolve. Or at least of most of your symtoms (symptoms). ;-)

As for my headaches, I just resort to OTC. If I think sinus may be an issue, resort to sinus OTC and any other reason, Motrin.

~Kate

Hi hashimoto's Nation,

I hope everyone is getting better. I was recently diagnosed with hashi's after about three months of mind numbing headaches and visual changes. Naturally, I thought I had a brain tumor and had a cat scan done at the emergency room when one of the headaches got progressively worse. I also started to have ocular migraines, something I have never had before. The greatest concern I have now is my eyesight, I have been to three eye specialist...all telling me my eyes are fine. Is it just me or do anyone else's eyes and head hurt all the time. My vision also got blurry for a while and I really got light sensitive, I also have more floaters than I have ever had before. Some of them are dark and they play tricks on my eyes, as if I am seeing something that is not there. I have seen the opthamologist and he has examined my retinas twice and he said I suffered from PVD and he said it was normal. I guess it is jsut a coincedence that it happened the same time my thyroid really started working me over. I have recently begun replacement therapy. While the headaches are better, they are never completely gone. Does anyone have any advice for me on how to manage the headaches... Thanks alot.
have the drs classified the headaches as migraines? I have Hashimotos and have migraines...I have had for many years...I have been taking a preventative drug for about 6 months now called Topamax...I take 100 mg daily. It work pretty well. I don't get as many and the ones I do get are not as severe. The drug was originally formulated as an antiseizure drug. There are a few side effects like dry mouth, but started taking it at night so it was not so noticable. I have Midrin and Phenegran that I take in combination if I get a bad headache with nausea....works well. I see a neurologist every 6 months.