Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimoto's and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hashimoto's and pregnancy

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 3 years ago, but just recently went to an endocrinologist.  Yesterday was my second appointment and my endo informed me that I have Hashimoto's and my antibodies are off the charts.  He told me to not get pregnant right now because it would be a high risk pregnancy.  Unfortunately my husband and I have been TTC for the past few months and now I'm concerned about what could happen if I'm pregnant right now.  

So I was wondering what the complications are of having high antibodies during pregnancy?  Also how do they lower the antibodies and how long does it usually take?  He said he would lower them as quickly as possible for me.  My TSH was also in the normal range I believe.  I kind of forgot the number he told me since I was trying to digest the fact I have Hashimoto's.  Any help or comments are more than appreciated!!
Hi-
Do you know which antibodies were elevated?  Did your dr say  how he is going to lower your antibodies? My endocrinologist told me there isn't a way to lower the elevated antibodies I have. He said he can only treat my levels.

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you about my experience. When I was 5 wks pregnant, I was diagnosed w/ Hashimoto's. My thyroid peroxidase antibody  were very high at 706. I think the normal number was less than 30. My TSH was elevated. I was started on Synthroid, monitored monthly w/ bloodwork and physical exam, and I gave birth to a health baby boy.

I read some scary stuff about antibodies and miscarriages. Since I had history of multiple miscarriages, I was especially concerned. I saw two endocrinologists. Both told me the most impt thing was to keep the TSH around 1-2. They were not overly concerned about the antibody level  and said the numbers vary a lot from person to person.  Whether or not that is accurate, I don't know.  My current endo didn't even suggest rechecking them before my next pregnancy.

I am also trying to get pregnant and I will ask my OB about this question next week. I'll post after my appt.

I would suggst that you get copies of your bloodwork for your own reference. Also, if your TSH is not in a good range,it's best to hold off on trying to conceive until it is. But if you are pregnant now, don't worry too much (easy to say, hard to do)! I worried a lot and it took away from the enjoyment of my pregnancy. My son was fine.
Thank you for your response.  I believe my doctor said my TPO antibodies were too high.  I just got my most recent results back and my TSH was 1.35, Free T4 was 1.7, and my Free T3 was 310.  He didn't run my antibodies this time, but everything else is perfect.  My doctor is using Synthroid to help lower my antibodies, but can't tell me how long it'll take.

The reason he said I would have a high risk pregnancy if I got pregnant is because the high antibodies would increase my risk of miscarriage.  I'm a bit confused by this though because with all the research that I've done on Hashimoto's it only says the chance of miscarriage is increased if your TSH levels are elevated.  To reduce this risk TSH levels should be kept between 1 and 2 (which you were also told by your doctors), and that would result in a healthy pregnancy.  So is my doctor wrong or just over cautious?