Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimoto's/blurred vision/ear and jaw pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hey everyone,

I've been dealing with these issues for over two years and I'm quite frustrated. I've been to two different endo's and this last one isn't all that interested in my symptoms.

I started on 25mcg of levo two years ago and due to such high TSH levels, I am now at 250mcg! My endo says he only has a handful of patients at a dose higher than 200mcg. He says I have a goiter that is about 3-4 times the size of a regular thyroid but that it's not concerning until it's at least 7 times it's normal size. I often get the feeling of a pill being stuck in your throat, even when I'm just drinking something...and I have a scratchy kind of cough often (this is a symptom within the last 6 months or so..the coughing wasn't bad before).

I have had tremendous ear and jaw pain and my primary care doctor referred me to someone for TMJ..turns out it's not TMJ. Now for the past few weeks I have had such blurred vision that I won't drive at night. Also, for the past two years my main symptoms have been extreme fatigue and insane sweating...lol. It's really affecting my day to day activities and interfering with my life.

I got a blood draw at my current endo about 3 months ago and never heard back. When I called the nurse she said my levels were still off but the doctor would need to call and discuss them. Never heard back so I called again two weeks ago..still haven't heard back. When I discussed the ear and jaw pain with him he said it is completely unrelated but I have heard otherwise. And my primary care doctor is great but she isn't a specialist and doesn't really know how to treat this.

I'm at a loss here and quite frustrated. Countless hours spent on pointless doctor's appointments and it just seems like no one can connect the dots. I don't want to sound like a crazy lady to my doctor's but I know something is quite "off". Any thoughts/suggestions??

Thank you so much.
Referred ear and jaw pain are uncommon symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  My mother was warned of referred ear pain when undergoing an FNA biopsy for enlarged thyroid nodules; the procedure could irritate the cranial nerve near the thyroid gland.  Thyroid eye disease (TED) symptoms include blurred vision. While TED is more commonly seen with Graves' disease, 10% of TED cases are seen with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

A few articles with more information...

American Academy of Family Physicians - Diagnosis of Ear Pain:

"Thyroiditis - May report pain in thyroid - Thyroid may be tender or enlarged - Referred pain from cranial nerve X (vagus)"

***

Dizziness and Balance - Referred Ear Pain:

"The following can irritate the superior division of the laryngeal nerve (a branch of CN X) and be referred to the ear:

•    Gastroesophageal (laryngeal/pharyngeal) reflux (2%)
•    Cricopharyngeal spasm (1%)
•    Vagal stimulator (1%)

Others:
•    Thyroiditis
•    Thyroid tumor
•    Laryngeal carcinoma"

***

Ch35: Regional and Referred Orofacial Pain:

"Normally, hyperthyroid or hypothyroid disease does not cause localized pain in the neck or referred pain to the face or dental structures. One exception that occasionally occurs is pain that arises from Hashimoto thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune inflammatory disease of the thyroid gland.  It can cause painful or tender enlargement of the thyroid, and in a small percentage of cases, pain can be referred into the mandible or other submandibular sites."

Note: the mandible is the lower jaw. Submandibular is the area beneath the lower jaw.

***

Elaine Moore - Thyroid Eye Disease [TED]:

"Many different symptoms of TED can occur although most patients develop several predominant symptoms. Common symptoms include:

Exophthalmos (proptosis or bulging)
Dryness Redness (erythema)
Eyelid lag
Eyelid retraction
Blurred vision
Tearing
Grittiness
Foreign body sensation
Double vision (diplopia)
Staring appearance"

***

About Guide: The 10 Things Your Doctor May Not Have Told You About Graves' Disease:

"Antibodies known as stimulating TSH receptor antibodies or thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins (TSI) are responsible for GD, thyroid eye disease (Graves' ophthalmopathy) and also the skin condition known as pretibial myxedema."
Also, you really do need to know what your thyroid test results are, compared to the appropriate reference ranges.  I suggest that you call and ask for all the actual results and ranges.  If they give you any problem, realize that by law they are required to give you a copy of your test results, upon your request.  If you will get the info and post here, members will be better able to assess your testing and treatment.
ok...so i totally understand your frustration!!  I have hashimotos and have been dealing with the hell that is the standard of care system.  I have come to the realization that Drs do not really understand the complexity of autoimmune diseases.  I have been to many a specialist to only leave feeling small and disappointed.  It is a shame that they do not know how to treat these diseases properly and people are left to suffer alone.  Anyways, i too have constant blurry, and hazy vision but pass all my eye exams.  I have constant full ears that snap, crackle, pop all the time but NEVER pop for relief.  I took hormones with no real results, so i stopped taking them.  I am on a gluten free diet, but have yet to resolve my foggy head, vision, and ear problem.  This of course is just the tip of the ice burg as I am sure you know.  I have a list of symptoms that i combat on a daily basis.  Many people do not understand.  I understand you.....
I see this is an old post but this is my 2 pence worth. I started this illness with a virus lasted for weeks eventually went but left me with pain and discomfort in right side Adam's apple  jaw and ear. X-rays at dental hospital showed nothing nasty , thankfully. 3 months on very suddenly I lost my appetite completely ate nothing at all for 6 weeks , at the same time all the awful symptoms of hashimoto s kicked in . . It's  a long story of doctors and endos saying  nothing wrong  with my thyroid  eventually being told  I have CFS  read up on it and just live with it  which I did even tho I knew there was a thyroid problem 19 years later I still have the same pain and  discomfort in that area but after a recent ultrasound ,results showed thyroid shrunken . inflamed and thyroiditis ! Obviously the bad flare ups I have are  caused by antibodies attacking my thyroid so the answer is yes this is a symptom also the difficulty swallowing and the irritating cough the dreadful fatigue and burning up together with many more horrid things going on in my body.
I agree whole heartily , I have been shouted at called stupid told nothing wrong with me it's all in the head and just depressed!i couldn't believe how many people have been misdiagnosed by doctors and endocrinologists who seem to just go by the standard blood tests and disregard the patients symptoms ! It would seem they have never heard of autoimmune diseases of the thyroid . I believe hashimoto s was found many years ago in 1920 s so how is it missed???? I did eventually find a doctor who prescribed thyroxine because he agreed the symptoms all pointed to under active thyroid , amazing first thing to go was that awful foggy brain the lack of concentration the inner tremors way down the muscle and joint pain and the numbness and the terrible fatigue was much better! You say you took hormones with no real benefit hmm that puzzles me as there is no cure for hashimotos only treatment to ease the symptoms , which strangely enough is thyroxine .my new doctor started me on a very low dose and upped it over 3 months and although I am certainly not 100% well I can lead an almost normal life. It seems trying to get the correct dose of T4 and T3 is the difficult part . I would say try again your life is worth more than just an existence , doctors make mistakes they certainly did with me good luck good health to all sufferers of this awful debilitating disease .
I dont know if anyone will even see this, but its seriously helping me to write this. I was leading a normal, very healthy life til around 3 months ago. I had been on Armour thyroid for about 10 years, due to hypothyroidism. Well 3 months ago, i saw a new dr., who checked my thyroid again, found outmy reading was triple what it should be. She wanted to put me on Levo beecause she said its easier to control, so after a couple weeks, I started having severe headaches, among a million other issues. So after another month, even tho my thyroid was in the normal range, i had her put me back on Armour. 6 weeks later, i saw another dr, because i wasnt happy with the previous one, she checked my thyroid, and this time my reading was double the normal. She put me back on Levo at 125 mcg. Its now been 2 weeks and I was starting to feel halfway normal again, until yeaterday. The symptoms all started again. Depression, panic attacks, shaky, cold inside my body, headache on left side, as well as tightness in my ear and thyroid gland area. I am dizzy. No blurred vision. I havent been back to the dr.for followup yet, because I think its too soon. I guess I should mention she told me it sounded like I have Thyroiditis, which after much research, must be the same as Hashimotos. This ear pain and pressure in that side is really scaring me. Its definitely not normal, and i am scared something else is going on. i am considering going to urgent care today instead of church, because I am afraid if it gets too bad, it will cause me to have a panic attack. If anyone sees this and has any insight, i would really appreciate feedback. Thank you. Debbie
Please post the results from your thyroid tests, along with reference ranges shown on the lab report, from before and after the switch from Armour to Levo.  
I am in a similar situation to all of you and started tdo take thyroxide from doctor, would find that after taking it for a few days I would get bad side effects and need to stop as they were worse than symptoms. I still find that whatever I take builds up in my system and I need to give it a break but find that the natural thyroid is better, less side effects. You hve to get it yourself privately, I found one manufactured in Ireland which I got on ebay and the other on Amazon which includes a little kelp.  Both help me but in both cases I need to take them for a bit then stop and then start again. And no it is not better to take a smaller dose etc have tried all that and it does not work.
It might be a good idea to test your ferritin and also cortisol levels.  For the best cortisol test, do the diurnal saliva cortisol test, which are four tests done at different times during the day.