Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimoto's/blurred vision/ear and jaw pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hey everyone,

I've been dealing with these issues for over two years and I'm quite frustrated. I've been to two different endo's and this last one isn't all that interested in my symptoms.

I started on 25mcg of levo two years ago and due to such high TSH levels, I am now at 250mcg! My endo says he only has a handful of patients at a dose higher than 200mcg. He says I have a goiter that is about 3-4 times the size of a regular thyroid but that it's not concerning until it's at least 7 times it's normal size. I often get the feeling of a pill being stuck in your throat, even when I'm just drinking something...and I have a scratchy kind of cough often (this is a symptom within the last 6 months or so..the coughing wasn't bad before).

I have had tremendous ear and jaw pain and my primary care doctor referred me to someone for TMJ..turns out it's not TMJ. Now for the past few weeks I have had such blurred vision that I won't drive at night. Also, for the past two years my main symptoms have been extreme fatigue and insane sweating...lol. It's really affecting my day to day activities and interfering with my life.

I got a blood draw at my current endo about 3 months ago and never heard back. When I called the nurse she said my levels were still off but the doctor would need to call and discuss them. Never heard back so I called again two weeks ago..still haven't heard back. When I discussed the ear and jaw pain with him he said it is completely unrelated but I have heard otherwise. And my primary care doctor is great but she isn't a specialist and doesn't really know how to treat this.

I'm at a loss here and quite frustrated. Countless hours spent on pointless doctor's appointments and it just seems like no one can connect the dots. I don't want to sound like a crazy lady to my doctor's but I know something is quite "off". Any thoughts/suggestions??

Thank you so much.
Referred ear and jaw pain are uncommon symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  My mother was warned of referred ear pain when undergoing an FNA biopsy for enlarged thyroid nodules; the procedure could irritate the cranial nerve near the thyroid gland.  Thyroid eye disease (TED) symptoms include blurred vision. While TED is more commonly seen with Graves' disease, 10% of TED cases are seen with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

A few articles with more information...

American Academy of Family Physicians - Diagnosis of Ear Pain:

"Thyroiditis - May report pain in thyroid - Thyroid may be tender or enlarged - Referred pain from cranial nerve X (vagus)"

***

Dizziness and Balance - Referred Ear Pain:

"The following can irritate the superior division of the laryngeal nerve (a branch of CN X) and be referred to the ear:

•    Gastroesophageal (laryngeal/pharyngeal) reflux (2%)
•    Cricopharyngeal spasm (1%)
•    Vagal stimulator (1%)

Others:
•    Thyroiditis
•    Thyroid tumor
•    Laryngeal carcinoma"

***

Ch35: Regional and Referred Orofacial Pain:

"Normally, hyperthyroid or hypothyroid disease does not cause localized pain in the neck or referred pain to the face or dental structures. One exception that occasionally occurs is pain that arises from Hashimoto thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune inflammatory disease of the thyroid gland.  It can cause painful or tender enlargement of the thyroid, and in a small percentage of cases, pain can be referred into the mandible or other submandibular sites."

Note: the mandible is the lower jaw. Submandibular is the area beneath the lower jaw.

***

Elaine Moore - Thyroid Eye Disease [TED]:

"Many different symptoms of TED can occur although most patients develop several predominant symptoms. Common symptoms include:

Exophthalmos (proptosis or bulging)
Dryness Redness (erythema)
Eyelid lag
Eyelid retraction
Blurred vision
Tearing
Grittiness
Foreign body sensation
Double vision (diplopia)
Staring appearance"

***

About Guide: The 10 Things Your Doctor May Not Have Told You About Graves' Disease:

"Antibodies known as stimulating TSH receptor antibodies or thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins (TSI) are responsible for GD, thyroid eye disease (Graves' ophthalmopathy) and also the skin condition known as pretibial myxedema."
Also, you really do need to know what your thyroid test results are, compared to the appropriate reference ranges.  I suggest that you call and ask for all the actual results and ranges.  If they give you any problem, realize that by law they are required to give you a copy of your test results, upon your request.  If you will get the info and post here, members will be better able to assess your testing and treatment.