Hashimoto's patients, are you TH1 or TH2 dominant?
Hashi patients, do you know if you are TH1 or TH2 dominant? I'm TH2 dominant. Coffee and green tea make my neck swell. I've given up caffeine and I take my Echinacea and Golden Seal each day and the flareups are gone. (Well, except when I eat chocolate). Which are you? Do you know if what you're eating could be causing auto-immune flareups?

Below is a part of the TH1/TH2 transcript taken from a video by Dr. Geronimo. Here's Dr. Geronimo's website:
http://www.powaychiro.com

I don't have enough room to post the entire transcript.To read the full transcript see my journal entry below:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/182243/Hashi-patients--Are-you-TH1-or-TH2-dominant

:) Tamra

"An autoimmune condition occurs when one branch of the immune system over dominates another branch. This is called an either a Th1 or Th2 dominance. A dominant TH1 response means that the natural killer cells and cytotoxic t cells are responsible for attacking the body, while a TH2 dominance indicates that your bcells and antibodies are mounting the attack. A blood test is needed to find out which branch is dominant. Thus to treat an autoimmune disease, it is critical to find the dominant branch and to balance the seesaw by stimulating the other branch. For example, if a patient’s autoimmune disease was TH1 dominant, treating it would require that we strengthen the Th2 side to balance out the immune system. If the patient were Th2 dominant, we would stimulate the Th1 side to regain balance. It’s a pretty simple solution, but so many people suffer needlessly because the immune system has been ignored, until now.

This is where clinical nutrition and natural medicine comes into play. It is well documented in clinical research that Th1 stimulants are Echinacea, maitake mushrooms and golden seal to name a few. Th2 stimulators are caffeine, green tea, and grape seed extract. So in the example I gave in the previous slide, if a patient with an under functioning thyroid is TH1 dominant, then I would prescribe supplements containing caffeine, green tea, and grape seed extract to stimulate the TH2 side to regain balance. If they were TH2 dominant, then Echinacea, mushrooms, and golden seal would balance out their immune system. Since most people with autoimmune conditions have no idea which branch of their immune system is dominant, they can actually make their condition worse by taking over the counter immune boosters. Lets say for example you were Th1 dominant and you catch a cold. A friend tells you that Echinacea helped them so you take it yourself. Unknowingly you would be flaring up your already dominant Th1 response and cause even more destruction to your thyroid gland."

Sharon, my  chiropractor is going to give me these treatments that are similar to acupuncture. I think it's lazer, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I have other friends who do acupuncture and swear by it. My chiropractor is also working on my spine. I saw the XRays last week and am none too happy with my bones right now. My spine actually bends to the right. He says spinal adjustments make a huge difference in our health.

:) T.
I have had acupunture with great success but not for the thyroid as my levels are good and energy too.
Starting back at work again in the next week or so.
Just wanted to throw in my own experience with acupuncture.  It only gave me short term pain relief for a rotator cuff problem.  Don't know if the injury was beyond the ability of acupuncture or what.  My understanding is that the needles are placed in positions that cause endorphins to be released  (neurotransmitters produced in the brain that cause pain relief).  Never could figure out how this was supposed to create healing, but it did feel better for a while.  FWIW
Mine was for whiplash in a car smash years ago.
Never had the neck problem ever again.
It beat any pain killer.

Saw my new Dr. yesterday with all of my labs in, and he said, he cannot pin any disease on me, that all of my labs came back normal..Of course that is good news, however, why the grey coat on my tongue, and sores in the mouth that come and go, since starting the Levo....he said, he just can't believe it is the Levo. but did give me mo. supply of Synthroid, but not to start it for 2 weeks, as he wants me off of Tagamet and onto another type of med for the GERDS. I've tried 3 others now...anyway, finally my thyroid counts as normal, again, so why do I feel so crappy? I must say that all my life when going to a Dr. I have had for years, or a new one, any symptoms I display, when they can't find anything, if they even bother to check, they always want to say, it is all related to your PTSD. I just want to smack them...I'm anxious to start the Synthroid, after this other med. for GERDS...at least he only wants to start one thing at a time....he did finally say, that maybe the fillers, and I said or binders used in the Levo are not agreeing with me...I've had that issue for years with some meds....anyway, my counselor, said, she does not agree with him...because I'm not displaying PTSD symptoms...and the Dr. did say, I don't see depression at all, nor do I feel it....then my therapist also said, you do have an autoimmune disease, you have a thyroid problem.
I asked him if I am Hypo or Hyper, and he and the nurse both said, pretty much in unison, you have both....well, that is just lovely...Well, I still need to process all that he did and didn't say, and call with more question...which he said, to do. I still have my colonoscopy in June...and I don't go back to see him for 6 mo. unless I have a problem, he will have another ultrasound done before I see him, and blood draws...Thanks for listening....time for the Levo pill that I just hate...but am grateful to have my thyroid back to normal range...my therapist said, maybe it will just take time for my body to adjust to the normal again. No Free TH 3 or 4 like I've heard many of you talk about...
have a blessed day...
I've noticed a huge energy boost in my daughter on the gluten free diet (3 months now). It's really been in this last few weeks that it has been more noticable. She had her doctors apt. a few days ago and she has lost 2 lbs. which is a first!!! Also, labs now show that it's time for a decrease as her freet4 and freet3 and her reverse t3 are all creeping up. She has been on 3 grains of the original Nature-Throid (nine and born without a thyroid gland) since last summer. Now all of a sudden we need a decrease by 1/2 a grain! Wow! the only thing that I can attribute this to is a healthier gut if 20% of thyroid hormone is converted in the intestinal track as your recommended book states .Limiting gluten and yeast is making a big difference here! Hip Hip Hurray!!!
wow....I can't believe all of the incredible information in this thread!! I have been dealing with symptoms for over 10 years now but didn't get my hypothyroid dx til 5 years ago and my Hashi's dx about 6 months ago.

It's so frustrating what we all deal with when family doctor's we have to see to get referrals know NOTHING about the thyroid and won't do the required testing in order to diagnose a problem that yields the necessity to see a specialist!  I fought for almost 2 years to get to see an endocrinologist..I got my way......eventually.

I ordered the book that keeps getting brought up and I can't wait to get it in my hand, it was shipped out today! :-D  I also requested local doctor's that follow the protocol in the book. I'd love to be able to manage my autoimmune thyroiditis through the majority of diet and natural remedies than taking synthetic hormones.  I believe it's affecting my liver functions as my enzymes were a little high when tested in March.

Anyway...I just wanted to say you all are a blessing and I'm so glad I found this website.  I feel like I've found people that truly understand what I'm going through. :-)

Sara
Update: Since giving up gluten and going on the supplements to reverse T2 dominance my goiter is GONE! I will be posting pictures under my profile soon. I am down from 150 to 112 Synthroid and 10 to 2.5 Cytomel.

I have also discovered an intolerance to corn and dairy. Bummer. But at least I feel MUCH better. I start my detox next week for my bloated stomach. I do the 24 hour saliva adrenal test tomorrow.

:) Tamra
Isn't it wonderful??? I'm so happy for your daughter. How heartbreaking it must have been for you all these years watching your little one suffer. I'm so glad this will have a happy ending. My little one might need to go gluten free. Her little tummy is just so swollen. I am thinking about testing her at my doctor's office. I certainly don't want her ending up with Hashimoto's.

:) Tamra

The mouth thrush sounds like a candida thing. I bought some coconut oil and I drink it nightly. My mouth thrush is gone now. This is a typical problem with many of us Hashis. You may also need to go gluten free and cut back on yeasty foods. See below article on thrush and coconut oil.

http://www.coconutdiet.com/candida.htm

I bought a huge jug at www.naturesflavors.com

I now regret it because it was costly and just darned  huge. Whole Foods sells jars for $10. I'm sure other health food stores sell it as well.

I sure hope you read this book: www.thyroidbook.com

It explains the thyroid/gut connection.

:) Tamra
Thank you, for your  post on mouth thrush...I have complained and complained to 2 different Dr.'s about this coat on my tongue, sore, sensitivity of tongue, when I brush the coat off, the horrible taste in my mouth, etc....I've yet to get someone to even look at it, let alone offer ways to treat it...It is miserable, I have had it since my thyroid uptake scan when they gave me the radioactive iodine....When I saw my Psychiatrist, he suggested I need to have someone scrape, and culture  and see if it is candida? He seems to have much more knowledge than the medical docs...at least he looked at it...so when I left his office I went to the vitamin shoppe...and she said, of course you have candida, the radio active iodine killed all of the good bacteria, and you want to treat it before it becomes systemic....she sold me a pill to dissolve in my mouth, she also mentioned coconut oil. Now I don't feel like I am complaining for no reason...as you know this stuff if miserable.
Sharon
this is a wonderful thread. I have learned so much from all of you posting on here and will keep coming back to reread and follow the links.

TamraW I'm so delighted you and your daughter are getting good results from going gluten free, it seems like such a radical step I have been really resisting it but the more I read the more I'm thinking I should really give it a go. It's so good to hear about other people's experiences on here.

I am fairly sure that as I'm trying more and more to avoid white flour and sugar products I really notice a bad effect when I end up eating them.

And I'm so sick of this puffy stomache I've got - it would be wonderful if I could get rid of that.

Will investigate this coconut diet thing. I've been drinking quite a lot of coconut water this week and I love the taste. ...

thank you sending love and light to all of you.

yl
Go to my profile and look at the photos of how my neck swelling has come down. If you read this book, www.thyroidbook.com , it explains why Hashis should give up gluten. It also explains in depth about Th1/Th2 dominance.

Many of us have yeast issues and the common puffy stomach and vaginal infections and oral thrush.

:) Tamra
I don't know if going gluten free or adding the coconut oil has eliminiated my thrush, but I don't get it anymore. I used to suck on Mycelex lozenges and those worked, but then the thrush always came back a few weeks later. I've been about three months with no thrush or yeast infections but my stomach is still aching. My doctor will give me a stomach cleanse to eliminate the stomach yeast.

There is also a product that I have had good results with, but it's a little costly, and I hated drinking it three times a day, so I quit for the coconut oil. It did work. Yeast Ease by Jernigan's Neutraceuticals. http://www.jernigannutraceuticals.com/

I keep a bottle of their Microbojen on stock. Both my daughter and I have not gotten sick since we started using it. At the first sign of a cold, we take it and we are well the next day.

:) Tamra
Hi Tamra,
Thank you, for the feed back, my Dr. office just called in a 10 day Rx. for Diflucan...but when I read it's side affects, and what not to take it with...I'm going to wait, I did go to the vitamin shopped and they sold me a bottle of oral Flora, you let it disolve in your mouth once daily...It seems to be doing some good, I know when you use natural, it takes longer...I was told yesterday that the radio active iodine is what did it, that it killed off all of the good bacteria...thus the thrush...hum, poetry...I'll have to check into the coconut oil. Thank you, for that suggestion. It must be wonderful to be free of the thrush. I'm looking forward to it...I've been dealing with this since Dec. of course the hosp. and Dr. all said, no the radioactive iodine would not do that....Have a great day...I'm not familiar with a stomach cleanse, is that the same as a colon cleanse?
Sharon
Hello to all
We often awaken with a foul taste in our mouths and it is believed that we also hold a lot of toxin in our mouths first thing in the morning.  I do something that I leanrt of during my frequent travels to India.  Oil pulling - as I wake up and before doing all my other little rituals of drinking cider water or ginger water.  Try not to swollow your saliva - head straight for the bathroom Into your mouth put about a tablespoon of cold pressed sunflower oil, swich it around for about 5 - 10 minutes whilst you do something else.  after the 5/10 minutes spit the oil out into your toilet.  Rince and brush you teeth.  Herwith a lot of the poison and mouth toxins are not taken back into your system.  I then do my netipot ritual also from India.  Have my ginger water and another glass of water, eat my small amount of protein and then do some Qigong and the fish pose and the lion pose both yoga stances.  The lion pose is a very good way to push air from the depth of your stomach up your throat.  I have found it to be very benefical for me Liya.  I now am working on dealing with my gut flora and at the moment that 10 accidophilis tablets twice a day.
Hello to all
Read www.thyroidbook.com about the stomach cleanse. Mouth thrush is just awful. Knock on wood, I haven't had it since going gluten free and drinking coconut oil. A lot of thyroid patients get it as they have an underlying yeast condition. Bloated stomach, etc...

:) Tamra
I need to get back into my yoga and Tai Chi. How do you prepare your ginger water?

Thanks,
:) Tamra
What kind of doctor do you see that is giving you all this great treatment?  I went to the dr today to try and request a few of the tests from the book and he looked at me funny and gave me a referral to a rheumatologist. I'm getting frustrated with the health care system.  After reading some of this book I am determined to kick Hashimoto's in to remission and I will do what it takes!!

As a side note...I had a bad case of thrush back in 2007 after i had my jaw surgery and a combo of all the antibiotics I was given plus my jaw being banded shut and couldn't clean properly..oh it was awful!!
I went to Dr. K's website and asked for a referral in my city:

http://www.thyroidbook.com/contact-and-clinic-info.html

I am very lucky that one of Dr. K's students, Dr. Webb, practices in San Antonio. He has two other doctors working under him and they are the most wonderful group of doctors I've ever met. They actually get Hashimoto's and the underlying gut problems that contribute to our decline. In fact, I'm doing their gut detox now and my stomach is feeling better.

Dr. Geronimo will also do long distance consults if you do not have a doctor in your area. My friend is using his services and is very pleased with her results. Here is his website:

http://powaysportschiropractic.com/

:) Tamra
Greetings

I take a slice of fresh ginger - pulp it up in a motar and pestle ( hope those are the right English words as English aint my first language) place the pulp in a large mug and fill it half way with boiling water - leave for about 10 minutes, add enough cold water but must still be warm and drink that on an empty stomach.  Have this first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening.

Reading Dr K's book and they sent me a whole list of Drs names and their contact numbers - but wow the costs as high - some want as much as 6000USD for a three month period.  

perhaps someone out there has found someone cheaper.  If I pay that I would need to multiply by 8 to bring it Hong Kong value.  as the HKD and USD are set at 7.89 so I may as well work on 8 HKD to one USD.
Have any of you used diflucan, for oral fungus?
Mine is just not getting better on natural meds. like probiotics, and even one with zinc that I let dissolve in my mouth...Of course  it is worse in the morning...but have to brush about 3 times a day....I just feel miserable, as in weak, and tired...and I hate taking prescription drugs...I just have side affects that are often worse than the illness. I was surprised to learn that oral thrush is not unusual with thyroid disease...
I've thought of calling the Dr. as for a liquid prescription of the med. so that I don't get so much in my blood stream, for the side affects..
Thank you, for your feedback, thoughts, or experiences. They also called in a 200 MG and I wondered if I could cut that is half, as I am not in the least good with meds.
Why do those with thyroid get this? Mine started when the gave me the radio active iodine...for the uptake scan...that was in Dec. and I'm no better...
Thank you...have a good day...
Sharon, you are not the first person who has undergone RAI with thrush problems. I know my thrush issues were due to leaky gut syndrome:

http://www.leakygut.co.uk/

Have you ever had stomach problems in your youth before this all started? You may have a leaky gut and the RAI kind of brought it to the surface. Just a theory. Many people with auto-immune thyroid disease have leaky guts. Try eliminating all foods with yeast and refined sugar from your diet for a few weeks. Also, coconut oil is a natural yeast killer. My hubby and I use it and it works great. I have not had mouth thrush in several months since giving up gluten and drinking a tablespoon of coconut oil per night. Here's a site I came upon about coconut oil.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/coconut_oil11.html#SIDEEFFECTS

I bought a huge jug from naturesflavors.com which I regret because it's just too big. Whole foods sells it as well. I think naturesflavors sells a smaller jug.
:) Tamra
Thank you, for the information. I've had stomach problems as long as I can remember, and especially after my first child was born, it became worse, with flare up, now since this thyroid diagnosis, it is daily, though the Hyomax helps
Thank you, for the coconut oil suggestion, I believe our vitamin shoppe carries it...I've been working on the gluten, eliminating as much as possible...I also understand there is gluten listed in other forms on many foods, I need to research and find out what they are...It is not easy, simply because I don't know what to substitute it with...for now, I bought rice cakes to use like bread...I use honey to sweeten, is that perhaps not a good idea? Primarily with tea. I appreciate your comment and suggestions..I have an appointment with a Gastrointerologist June 25...to set up a colonoscopy...is that likely to show the leaky gut syndrome? Just curious. Also went to the eye Dr. yesterday for my 4 mo. check up on my glaucoma, and he said, now we have got to get aggressive about your glaucoma,. and right away, as I have lost more vision, and he said, this is not good...so laser surgery the 26th. cataract surgery to follow, then glaucoma surgery...I took my labs into him, to have in my file and he said, good it is good for him to have these...he said, your have circles and checks all over the pale and indicated that my thyroid is not stable, based on what he read...he also said, I had the type of Nodule (hyperplasia) that tends to be malignant..but they are very slow...I told him, he just told me more about thyroid than any Dr. has...he said, well you got all that I know, so, maybe if you piece it all together, you will get some information....he also said, thyroid is a tough one to figure out and treat correctly! Smart man!
My favorite gluten free guide:
http://celiac.org/images/stories/PDF/quickstart-diet-guide-april-2009.pdf

Gluten free food list: http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf

Gluten free restaurants: http://gfrestaurants.com/gluten-free-restaurants/

Gluten free grocery stores: http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshopping/ss/GFgrocerylist_2.htm

Gluten free recipes: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/09/crockpot-chicken-nuggets-recipe.html

Candida cleansing website. A lot of info on here and not sue if all therapies are credible. Lemon water has helped me.
http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/natural-detox-body-cleansing.html

:) Tamra
BTW - It's a shame your eye doctor isn't an endo! :) T.
No Kidding!
Thank you, for all of the great sites you sent....
I started Synthroid today, as the Dr. two weeks ago, when he said, I was stable, blah, blah, blan, gave me to try, but said, wait 2 weeks...Go figure....although he had given me an RX for prilosec...it only takes a few days if that, for me to have reactions and or side affects to a med...so I a ASSUMING, that is why the 2 week wait...I'd called his office to phone in an RX for Tagament the only one that I have ever been able to take without side affects...(wish I didn't have to use any) He wants me off of it because my breasts were tender the day of my visit, and I mentioned it...I figured it was from the hormone imbalance in my system...I know my testosterone and progesterone are very low, and estrogen is high. I learned that from my gynecologist....I have severe vaginal atrophy, not fun...He didn't even check those..to my knowledge...
I have some new issues....unrelated, I think to the thryoid...saw my eye Dr. 2 days ago, and have lost more vision, with my glaucoma, he said, more than he thought...so he said, we have got to get aggressive, now about your glaucoma treatment...so have laser surgery on the 25th. he said, sometimes it works, sometimes not...he need to relieve the pressure in my eyes...and the goal is to lower the pressure and preserve the L eye that has not had any optic nerve damage, yet...Yesterday that got to me emotionally, as my vision is blurry anyway, and has been for the past 4 months..also need both cataracts removed. Now I did not sign up to be the actress in the old morton salt commercial...if you are younger, there was a very cut commercial years ago, with a little girl holding and umbrella, advertising Morton Salt, I think that was about the time they added iodine...not sure though. The commercial said, when it rains, it pours.
Have a great day....again......thanks for the sites. SK
People with Graves goiters typically can have eye problems. It can also happen with Hashi goiters as well. Last summer, before diagnosis, it felt like someone had punched me in both eyes. My ears would hurt as well. No fun.

I don't know if your RAI caused this, but sometimes you'd be amazed at how many of our ailments are connected. I'm convinced my issues began in the gut. 80 percent of the body's immunity comes from the gut, and yet we bombard our guts with sugar, starch, dairy, artificial sweeteners, artificial preservatives, etc. No wonder auto-immune cases are on the rise.

People with Hashi should generally avoid iodine as it can cause the immune flare up to become worse. I use sea salt without added iodine. You can find it in the salt section. Since you had Graves, right? I have friends who've had Graves who use iodine with no ill affects. Try to avoid kelp based iodine as there have been a few reported deaths linked to kelp.

This is a learning process. I've had to adjust my way of looking at food, especially what is put into food. It seems anything can be put in food nowadays and the FDA just turns the other cheek. Just do a Google on Bromide, found in Mountain Dew and many breads. Nasty stuff. Look at how many foods marketed toward kids  have high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors.

I'm totally back to basics now and my body is responding. Organic lean chicken baked in olive oil with roasted garlic and natural spices like Rosemary and Thyme with some sea salt. GF brown rice. Organic, natural salad dressings. No soy. No dairy or corn. It takes some getting used to, but it's fun creating new recipes, and luckily, hubby wants to eat healthy as well.

:) Tamra
Actually, my Dr. has not said, I have either graves or hash...but I do have a goiter, and nodule...my previous Dr. started me right away on Levo 100mcg oh my gosh, I was so sick for a good 3+ mo. my psychiatrist ask why in H---did he start you on 100mcg? I said, I don't know, maybe he was trying to kill me...every time I went in with more symptoms I would loose 3# a week...I basically lived on my sofa...couldn't eat...etc...it was awful, the thrush in my mouth was so thick and disgusting tasting...I would brush my teeth and tongue many times a day, only to have it come right back....more than once I felt like I did not want to fight anymore...I was so so miserable....so got a new Dr. and he got me down to 44mcg and called me normal after about 8 weeks, and told me to come back in 6 mo. I so disagree with him, I feel like I need a few more "normal" blood draws, before being released to wait 6 months.....I kept bugging him, until he finally gave me a 30 day sample of Synthroid to try...I told him, I think the Levo. is a big part of my mouth and lips problem...as I taste the Levo in my mouth immediately, and within 20 min..have wretched heartburn...he said to wait 2 weeks, now figure that one out....today was my day to start the synthroid...I could be all wet, or ? but I think I am feeling better, my mouth is feeling like I have a tongue in it, instead of it being all smooth and taste like Levo...even my lips are seeming to feel some better...Maybe I am wrong...but I was so sure that Levo. was part of my problem....certainly not all...but part...now of course, I want to be right, so that I can tell him...it was not all in my head. I'm even feeling all the sores in my mouth, on the roof etc...before I could see them, also the coat on my tongue and inside my mouth, roof of mouth and throat was the color of the Levo. pill. I've very drug sensitive....and I always use a smaller dose than most...
As for the eyes, I think the thyroid played a role, as when on the 100 then 88mcg...I would get these awful headaches starting on the bone behind my ear, and it would go up the side of my head on one side, and concentrate on the back of my eye, and it would switch eyes...for several days...I now have one eye lid that droops down to where my pupil starts...so many weird things....What a blessing it would be, if the Synthroid would work for me...also I did not get the heart burn or taste with it, and I just started it today...I'm hoping...You may be able to relate, I want it to work so much so that I can say...without using the exact words, I was right, see I told you so!!!!
Thank you, for the avoid iodine tip, I'll try that...just in case...also, my eye Dr. told me that I had the kind of nodule that is usually cancer, but that it is slow...Lovely...So much to learn....I also just read that in older patients you start them with low does and work up, not the other way around...I'll quit for now...I'm just blown away by how different my mouth is feeling...in just one day, or a different pill....unbelievable...not totally gone but so much better...And, I have an appointment with him Friday to let him look at my mouth......I'm going anyway if it gets better...I have questions about the length of time before my next blood draw...and do I have graves...etc...so many he did not answer....Sorry, I said, I was going to quit and didn't. Thank you, so much....SK
Sharon, I hope you never have to go to that doctor again. Also, please write him a letter so that he doesn't do this to another patient. Starting at 100??? Most patients start at 25. If they are young and relatively healthy, then 50.

Most people with Hashimoto's have nodules. And if the docs are putting you on Synthroid, then you most likely have Hashimoto's, not Graves.

If the nodule is over 2.0 cm, then the surgeon will recommend removal because it is too big to biopsy. If it is under 2.0 cm, then the Synthroid should shrink it if it is benign. Thyroid nodule cancer is slow growing and has a high success rate because it takes forever to spread. Don't worry too much about the nodule. Just find out how many you have and the size of each. You can read it on the radiology report. Get the report printed from your doctor's secretary. It is your right as a patient to have this information as well as your lab results.

Get your TPOab and Tgab tested and post results here on a new thread. Those are the Hashi antibody tests. Also, get your FT3, FT4 and TSH results and post them here. Those are your thyroid levels. FT3 is particularly important as it is the most active level. TSH, a pituitary hormone, not so much, but most doctors will have a fit if you leave that off the test.

:) Tamra
My biopsy did state that No psammoma bodies are identified. Hurthle cells with admixed lymphocytes to suggest hashimoto's thyroiditis are not identified. The findings are most consistent with nodular hyperplasia. Clinical follow up is recommended.
Ultra sound: Neck...She has 2 cm soft nodule that appears to be on the superior pole of the right thyroid. It moves when swallowing. There is no vervical or supraclavicular adenopathy.

As of now that is what I have...I am seeing him tomorrow for the mouth thrust, as a work in...but hope to get some questions answered, like why 6 months? Will he order FT3 and FT4. Also could he order labs ongoing for every 6-8 weeks until I see him again...Hopefully this visit will get some questions answered.
Thank you, for caring, and your suggestions.
Hard nodules are more worrisome. I would not stress over this nodule. Request a biopsy to be sure. It is less painful than a trip to the dentist. So glad the mouth thrush is improving. :) Tamra
I've had one biopsy, my Dr. said, he plans to do another...I know he has me scheduled for a CT scan in Oct., and blood work...
Thank you, so much, what a help and blessing you have been to and for me...
;-) Sharon
Where can I find the information, about why we need to have FT3 and FT4 as opposed to T3 & T4? I'm trying to learn what I don't know! I want to learn all I can about this autoimmune disease, since I have to live with it...I also want to take facts to my Dr. and see how he responds to them...He seems like a Dr. who will research it, and not just po po it....I don't even know what questions to ask, at this stage of the illness, but am trying to learn.
Thank you.....so much.
Re read my post, NOT a CT scan, BUT rather an ULTRA SOUND, of the thyroid....sorry for the mistake....My brain knew what I meant, but my fingers did not type it!
Thrush is back as bad as when it began...I do see the Dr. today...for that! Hopefully I can get some other questions answered, as well...
Has anyone else experienced a white coat on the tongue, and grit on the teeth, when I take a drink of water it tastes bitter...the Dr. treated me with diflucan for 5 days, and it did nothing! He asked if I am a mouth breather? And, suggested it is dry mouth syndrome, it all started when I was given the radio active iodine. He said, he did not thing that would cause this...I guess I wonder if it is either one medication, Levo, or Synthroid, or the Hyomax for IBS...though I went off of it for several days, and had no relief what so ever...just lots of discomfort from IBS....Does anyone have suggestion as to how to get some measure of relief from this,....I brush my teeth and tongue several times a day...chew gum and dissolve altoids in my mouth, I also use Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash....This is the pits...I don't see the Dr. again until Oct. our town is really hurting for medical professionals...and available appointments. Thank you, for anyone who may have experienced this or has some suggestions.
Below is an article from Mary Shomon about T4/T3 treatment vs the standard T4 only therapy. A new study shows T4/T3 therapy superior.

Drink Virgin coconut oil for the thrush. Seriously. 1 tbsp per day and work up to three per day over a few weeks. Also, quit gluten, yeast and sugar for a few days and see if you feel better.

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2010/05/17/t3-superior-t4-levothyroxine-hypothyroidism-thyroid.htm
:) Tamra
Thank you, so much for the article...I tried numerous thrush recommendations...from the health food store, to no avail....the Dr. still insists it is not fungus, but rather dry mouth syndrome...I'm going to run it by my psychiatrist in June...he has thyroid himself....and suggested I needed to have it cultured...so will ask him to do that...also I feel that I need a blood draw before the end of Oct...I guess I can think and feel all I want, but if I can't get anyone to hear me, than I am stuck....Having only Medicare leaves me with my hands tied...so to speak...so many in our state are cutting off Medicare patients...
I'll quit my griping, and if something gets out of whack, that seems an obvious problem, I'll call my PCP....Yes, I am feeling frustrated....sorry to be so negative....
I also found on Mayo Clinic site, that if you have the coat on the tongue, check with your health care professional and see if you have diabetes or Thyroid disease... Well, I guess that kind of answered my question...never having heard of it, I was too willing not to accept it!
I purchased numerous dry mouth items, tooth paste, mouth wash, spray to carry with me, and gel. they are helping, more that I expected.
Next week, I have laser surgery on my R. eye, and can only wonder how much the thyroid is affecting my glaucoma, and vision loss.
Have a wonderful day, and weekend...
I just wanted to say thanks for recommending the book.  I am not sure if I am TH1 or TH2 yet, I just bought it yesterday.  From what I've read so far it is very interesting. I can see why so many of us have endoctrine problems. I also wish all doctors and a copy of the booik in their office.   I'll let you know how I make out after reading this.

Thanks Again
Hey, I stumbled on this whilst researching. It's got some great advise thanks to everyone who posted. I need help on converting my th2 back to th1. I have so many allergies yet chronic infections that I can't shift. I have adrenal insufficiency and suspected hypothyroidism which I was taking natural desiccated thyroid for but I have come off the thyroid hormones as to see where in range I am in my bloods however I am still getting both hypo and hyper thyroid symptoms(my mother and many of my family members suffer with this along with other auto-immune illnesses). Since being on the HC which I need to live the th2 has further increased and consequently the th1 has decreased. I already have a very strict diet, no gluten, no diary, no soy, no eggs, no yeast, no fructose but I am reacting to every food I eat. I recently had a stool test come back which showed a parasite endolimax nana along with an infection morganella morganii which is an opportunistic infection, both of these only occur or are problematic in immune suppressed patients. I then have a massive amount of candida despite being on such a strict diet, anti fungals and probiotics. My specialist has recommended anti-biotics for the parasite and infections but I'd rather use natural products as anti-biotics can open you up to further infections. I am very ill, housebound and have been for the majority of the last 3 and a half years. I have picked infection up after infection and not been able to get rid of them. I live in the U.K so it's hard to find specialists to help in this area. I want to try to help myself with supplements first. I also need to fight off the candida if I am going to improve my gut and therefore improve my immune system. However I feel my only way of doing this is using prescription drugs as I am intolerant to all foods it seems even rice. If anyone can recommend any supplements that are well tolerated and effective for the candida I'd really appreciate it. I saw Tamara W you recommended Yeast Ease by Jernigan's Neutraceuticals, please could you tell me what is in the product. There is another product that interests me on there web-site called Paragen for parasites. Can anyone tell me if they have experience with this and if they know what is in the products. I also have a incredibly low Vitamin D level, 25 OH vitamin D level 8.6 ug/L. I have been taking 2000iu of Vitamin D for at least 6 months. I'm thinking of getting Vitamin D injections as I live in the U.K and won't be able to get outside for much longer it's already becoming cold. Any help would be much appreciated. I keep coming back to the same place that if I am going to help myself I need to help the TH2 convert back to TH1 as all my problems seems to be related to this. Please help if you can. Thanks for reading xxx
Lots going on here and eliminating the parasites and candida for sure is first.

I believe there are numerous products you can take with your doctor - instead of prescriptions to rid this. Its time consuming and expensive for some however.

I don't have a specific brand to offer you in trying - sorry

Vit D - low = autoimmune issues... Are you Hashi's too? In all essence of Vit D - Vit D-3 is best to take

You fit the entire theory here on Tamra's information and she would be someone to go over all this with since it sounds like you have confirmed TH2 and TH1 indifferences.

I haven't seen her much here lately so I am not sure exactly on if her suggestion will be on here.

I told Stella  I wouldn't be on here much. Just too much else going on in my life, but here's some natural options that have worked for me. I did do the Jernigan's Yeast Ease and parasite cleanse, but I found that Total Para and Total Yeast Redux by Apex energetics (or maybe Nutri-West, I forgot) worked best. Google Apex to find a supplier. I believe you can get it by mail. My holistic doc gave them to me.

If you can't afford those then try virgin coconut oil. My grocery store sells it now. Eat it plain, bake with it, etc. At least two tablespoons daily for yeast issues. It can also be a topical for rashes. Works great for me. Garlic and cinnamon also work great for parasites. But, speak with your doctor. You might need something stronger. Also, are you taking a good probiotic for the stomach? I take Total Probiotics by Nutri-West. There are many out there at vitamin stores, etc.  

I know what you mean about giving up foods. I've had to give up all grains for a while. Hopefully, I'll be able to incorporate at least rice and GF steel cut oats back into my diet, but, for now, I feel so much better eating protein and veggies. I'm not saying everyone do this. This is what is working for me.

If you are TH2 dominant, look to flavanoids that could be causing reactions such as berries. Also, the sugar in fruits could be causing insulin spikes, and is not good for adrenals. I had to cut back on my fruit intake, limiting it to one banana a day and one apple.

Many Hashi patients will need 5,000-10,000 IU vitamin D daily. This could be a big source of your problems. I take far more D, E, C, B12, iron, magnesium than the average person. Everyone is different, but my body needs the following daily intake:
D - 5,000 IU daily
Fish oil capsules...1980 mg EPA and  1020 mg DHA
Iron – 65 mg
Vitamin E – 270 IU
B6 – 20 mg
Folic Acid – 580 mcg
B12  - 174 mcg
Magnesium – 800-1,000 mg
Zinc – 28 mg
Selenium – 200 mcg
Vitamin A – 1700 IU
Vitamin C –1000 mg
Vitamin E - 1,000 IU
There are other vitamins I take that come with my multi pack, but too many to list.
:) Tamra
Man, when does it all end...finally after a yr. and three Dr. my thyroid is stable, and then I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and the Dr. found H. Pylori in my blood, and has me on 4 antibiotics, and just added another yesterday for a secondary infection...this is absolutely the pits. I can't help but think it will affect my thyroid function...but they tell me, no. I have to take this, as I call it, cocktail for 14 days...Urgh..!!
Hope you are all doing fine....I've stopped all of my supplements, as the antibiotics say, no iron, no calcium, niacin, etc...so just stopped them all, for now. I've had another hemorrhage in my eye, and lost more vision, and had laser surgery...I've never had so much illness all at once in my life...only 10 more days to go...Oh How I pray this works..and doesn't totally mess me up.
Good luck to all of you....Maybe I will get back on her regularly when I am feeling better....Sharon
Tamra,  my d and b12 were low.  I had to get injections for the b12.  How do you get the d?  Shot or pill?
Bruce

read upon this information and try going gluten free to see of your condition improves. It may - with taking your meds as directed.
Sorry you're going through this. Please make sure to take a good probiotic when you are on antibiotics. Yogurt usually isn't enough. Your local vitamin shop or health food store will sell a good probiotic. I take Nutri-West total probiotics. You can probably google it. I was taking two per meal when I was on antibiotics. Now I take two per day. :) Tamra
I go to The Vitamin Shoppe. I know they have those N. Texas. I buy D in a liquid form because most gel caps have soy. I have been buying Wellesse liquid D at Wal-Mart but I calculated that I'm drinking 100 calories a day, so I'm back to the other kind. My daughter drinks 2,000 IU daily and takes a probiotic in preparation for flu season, since a majority of our body's immunity comes from the gut. I want her gut ready. I am taking 7,000 IU D daily and two probiotic pills by Nutri-West daily. I also take multi-vitamin capsules, loads of B12, 1,000 IU magnesium daily, C, 1,000 E, and a few others. I'm actually on a vitamin routine given to me by my holistic doctor. :) Tamra
I just found out about the Th1 and Th2 last month, my Naturapath is getting me sample packs of some Apex supplements to take 3 times a day to see what branch is dominate so I can feed the lesser branch. Also I use LOW DOSE NALTREXONE (LDN) to treat my hashis autoimmune illness and help my Fibro pain.. I am on 2.5 mg for 7 months and has helped me avoid many pills of  OTC pain meds daily, plus a  better of mood and less anxiety! Do a search for it, hope it will help you!