Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashimotos without antibodies
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hashimotos without antibodies

Is it possible to have Hashimotos even though my thyroid antibody test showed normal, but my ANA was positive?  The Endo that diagnosed me based it on my positive ANA test and my Hypo symptoms. He also looked at all my past thyroid tests showing a low Free T4 and  and high/normal TSH.

I'm just wondering because I have never seen anyone on this forum that has Hashimotos that doesn't have high thyroid antibodies.  So is there anyone out there that has it, but just had a positive ANA and symptoms of hypothyrodisim?  
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Yes, you can have Hashimoto's without being positive for antibodies.  It's not uncommon for symptoms to be present before the antibodies.  AND, which antibody tests are they doing?  They need to be doing both TPOab and TGab, because some of us have one antibody, some have the other, while still others have both.  

Positive ANA can be a sign of a variety of autoimmune diseases, not just lupus.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1677545_tn?1304797722
did your dr explain to you about the ana? this could also be a sign of lupus, i would ask for further information from your doctor. usually without follow-up information medically, patients can get the wrong diagnosis from this type of test results. either way, it is definitely an auto-immune deficiency.
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Yes, you can have Hashimoto's without being positive for antibodies.  It's not uncommon for symptoms to be present before the antibodies.  AND, which antibody tests are they doing?  They need to be doing both TPOab and TGab, because some of us have one antibody, some have the other, while still others have both.  

Positive ANA can be a sign of a variety of autoimmune diseases, not just lupus.
Blank
Thanks for both of your answers.

I was tested further for Lupus.  My doctor tested me for SSA and SSB, anti smith, and anti DNA antibodies all were negative except for the ANA which was 1:80 fine speckled. This was in December 2010. I also had a lip biopsy in February which was also negative, so that ruled out Sjogrens---at least for now.

I was tested for both TPOab and TGab and they were negative. That's why the diagnosis of Hashi's is a little confusing to me, even though I have most of the symptoms.  Glad to hear that yes, you can still have Hashi's with just a positive ANA.  Unfortunately, I do suspect I may have more than one auto immune disease. I hope I'm wrong!  Guess I will just have my Rheumy check me from time to time for any positive antibody tests, other than the ANA to keep track of it.  That is the only thing I can think of to do.   Thanks for responding,  Terri
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...