Thyroid Disorders Community
Hashitoxicosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hashitoxicosis?

Hello Dr. and to those who read and can hopefully offer advice-

I went to the endo today and they have said that I have Hashitoxicosis. Over the past 8 weeks I have had a TSH of 13 and now, it's down to 3.6. MY FT3 is rising, as is my FT4. Right now, I guess I am just worried. What if I keep swinging from hypo to hyper? I have yet to see the hyper side but I'm sure it's coming, unless this next lab reveals that I stay put at 3.6 TSH and the other Free T3 and T4s are normal.

I had antibodies tests done:
Thyroglobulin 417 range <20

Thyroid Peroxidase <10 range <35

Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin(TSI) 88 range <130

Thyrotropin Receptor Antibody/Thyroid Binding Inhibitory Immunoglobulin(TBII) <.3 Range 0-1

Still have to get Blocking TSH Antibodies done.

Over the past few weeks, TSH has gone from 13 to 11 to 6 to 3.6.
FT4 has gone from .66 to .72 to .86 (range .7-1.4)
FT3 has gone from 2.6 to 2.7 to 2.9 (range 1.7-3.7)

I definitely have Thyroglobulin Antibody, but the others appear normal. My doc says that TSI is not what it should because even though the range is less than 130, she says in healthy individuals, it's generally 20 or less.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it go away? I feel like I should just have surgery and get this stupid thyroid taken out. It sure is causing a lot of trouble.
How long does Hashitoxicosis generally last?
sorry for the double post. oops
thanks utahmomma.

I appreciate all of your comments and the artcles. Im going to look on pubmeb later today. :D

I am curious, though, about surgery. I haven't reached the hyper stage yet, but if I do...I would be interested to see what happens.

I have read that having a thyroid scan/uptake is not a good idea. Do you know anything about that?
Oh, one more thing.  This is the patient to patient forum, no doctors here (unless they are lurking and giggling).  

If you want Dr. Lupo to answer your question you will need to go to the "forums" page and make sure you get onto the "Doctor to Patients" forum under "Thyroid Disorders"

Good luck!
I found some articles on Hashitoxicosis out there but usually in a passing reference.

One good definition I found was: Hashitoxicosis (3-5% of cases) refers to the presence of chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis PLUS hyperthyroidism. These patients have high antibody titers as seen in Grave's disease. In fact, this disorder probably represents superimposed Grave's on Hashimoto's. RAIU is normal or elevated. Treatment is as for Grave's disease.
http://www.indyrad.iupui.edu/public/lectures/HTML/NM/thyroid/thy06.htm

I have also seen sights that say everything from "it's temporary" to "it needs surgery"

There are a lot of articles on PubMed that may give you some good things to talk to your doctors about.

Go to:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
and do a search on "Hashitoxicosis"

Wish I had some answers but I don't but maybe some of these medical journal articles will help you and your doctors make a good decision for you.

BTW:  *IF* (and only IF) you do decide on the surgery, the vast majority of us in the "necklace club" will tell you it is the easiest surgery we've been through.

Please let us know how things work out!

Healthy Wishes!!

A better test to determine whether you truly have  HashiT is a test for TSH receptor blocking antibodies, so i am courious to what your level is.

Did you have an  uptake  done to varify? which also can  indicate and varify Hashimoto's.

Having have Hashitoxicosis will make you prone to TED. Hope you don't smoke!

GL,
Hyper/Graves'/RAI
Slight TED, Visible Nodule  
One can have TED and not have Graves
edit: I have noticed that I am a little bit more sensitive to light these days, but I don't have bulging eyes or anything like that. Sometimes my eyes are dry but that's about it.

"Swelling in the orbital tissues which causes the eye to be pushed forward -- referred to as exophthalmos -- which can make Thyroid Eye Disease sufferers appear to have a wide-eyed or bulging stare."

^^Is that very common?
http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=thyroid&cdn=health&tm=45&gps=194_852_1020_620&f=22&su=p284.5.420.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.thyroid-info.com/articles/thyroideye.htm

I went to that page and just started crying. :( I don't want my eyes to look that way. :( :(

Is there anything you can do to prevent this TED from happening?
How do you find out if you have Thyroid Eye Disease? I don't smoke but I am scared that I will get this.

I am having the blocking antibodies done when I go into the lab in a few days.

As far as the uptake, are you referring to the thyroid scan/uptake? I haven't had that yet. I did do a 24 hr urine test where they measure iodine levels.

a tsh of 3.6 is NOT hyper. it's actually still hypo. ideal TSH is now seen as between 1 and 2.

if your tsh is dropping like this, it's a good thing. it means your meds are working.
There are no points of fact that Armour thyroid or any desiccated thyroid tends to onset TED.
TSH is actually quite irrelevant; it's the Free T3 and Free T4 that count........

TSH is a pituitary hormone and is not totally indicative of either hyper or hypo.  Some people do better with a higher TSH and some do best with a suppressed TSH.