Thyroid Disorders Community
Have to have another Thyroid scan today.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I had my thyroid removed this Feb. and I had some cancer in it. I  have been having the feeling that there was a lump in my neck. So I went to my family doctor yesterday thinking I had a case of swollen glands like I  used to get when I was younger. So she felt around my neck and she said I'm sending you for a Thyroid scan right away and see what is going on. She told me that she is feeling something where the thyroid should be. Now I'm a little concerned because she wanted it done yesterday but it was too late so I'm having it done today, and she ordered it to be a wet reading, which I know it means right away.  Does this mean more surgery?
I honestly don't think it necessarily does. Many people develop lots of scar tissue after a total thyroidectomy (I am assuming that when you say you had it removed) and it can be quite debilitating. There are both arthrescopic and medicinal treatments for scar tissue if that is the cause.

The size is an issue, but you have a very active/pro active Doc and she is on it right away. If something is going on, she is going to know today and if it does require surgery, there's every reason to believe it would be the last one.

I hope you will post us what your results are and I wish you the best.
Well I had the scan done yesterday,they said I would know by Tuesday. My daughter was sitting accross from the screen and she said they were doing alot of measurements.  I guess we will see. I know they sent pictures or report to my doctor from the screen. but because its the weekend I will not hear anything until next week. Still a bit worried I know the cancer was small in my thyroid but you never know.
Thanks for being here so I can vent I dont want to worry my kids and my husband.
Donna
just  

Just came across your post this morning after waking up only sleeping two hours. I awoke with that lump feeling in my throat too. I have had a TT in 2006 and am also feeling like something is wrong. I am so jittery this a.m. I wish you the best with your scan.God Bless

You are more than welcome to "Vent" here. A sonogram operator will take a lot of pictures of a lot of things. This does not imply cancer, but I understand your concerns, especially after whipping it once before. Of course, if you've done it once, you can do it again, but NOBODY wants this rematch.

I would say the kids and Dad need to know, but in a relaxed, part of the day manner. You've probably already done this, but they love you and you need their thoughts and prayers I think, if nothing but for some peace of mind. We have to come out of the closet with all our thyroid issues, or we'll never find answers.

I also wish you the best of results, contact me anytime. Best,
Clay

Well family doctor called wanted me to call my surgeon and make an appointment with him as soon as I can , tomorrow at 2:15  they found some tissue and they want to see if the cancer has come back. Now I'm a bundle of nerves, trying to work.
Donna
Did you have a total thyroidectomy in February or just partial? If you had a total thyroidectomy, did you undergo a radioactive iodine therapy later on? I wish you all the best and pray for you.
I had a total but no RAI.
I have an allergy to iodine.
Thank You so much for your well wishes.
Donna
The result of my second surgery (right lobe) came back. It's clear of cancer cells. My spine X-Ray doesn't show any signs of cancer cell migration either. We of course are delighted with the result. Eventhough the right lobe didn't have cc, I've no regret that I had it removed. I'll see my surgeon on 10/26 as a post surgery follow up. We'll probably discuss the next steps, thyroid scan, RAI, body scans etc. to complete the treatment.      
Donna,

Sorry I was out of pocket and unable to respond sooner. I still have my gland, although a new tumor appeared last week and was biopsied suspicious by fine needle on monday. I won't have mine for much longer regardless of what my opinion is.

Would you consider looking at this article I have shared with another through the Foundation:
http://www.endocrinetoday.com/view.aspx?rid=76072

It is a case very similar to yours and I think you might find it very useful interest before surgery is scheduled. Second opinions are also customary and beneficial.

I want to extend my thoughts and prayers for you.

Clay
Thank You Clay,
I will check it out I will let you know what I find out tomorrow. Thanks for being here.
Well went to the surgeon today no surgery because he said he would just make it worse.
here is what the report says: The  right bed is empty. In the left thyroid bed is a hypoechoic soft tissue similar to that of a normal thyroid gland. measurement is 2.0 x1.1 cm Medial to that tissue is a hypoechoic lesion with a hyperechoic rim and peripheral hyperechoic nodule. measuring .8 x .6 cm.

Impression: there seems to be some residual thyroid tissue in left thyroid bed. There is also a complex lesion in the left thyroid bed. Correlation with nuclear scan  is advised.

Surgeon want me to have a swallow evaluation which the hospital just call and said the appointment is set for Thursday at 8:30 in the morning, then I have to see a Radiation oncologist  after that. I guess that is for the nuclear scan.

Thanks for being here.
Donna