Thyroid Disorders Community
Headaches caused from thyroid issues?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Headaches caused from thyroid issues?

I hope someone could give me some more insight.  It started a month ago I woke with a headache, felt like sinus related so I went to Dr. for antibiotics for what I thought was a sinus infection, didn't help.  Then went back to Dr. possibility thought it was TMJ related, had problems before with that.  TMJ doctored ruled it out.  Then went back to family Dr. and she took some blood tests, and recommended Physical therapy for neck pain too.  My symptoms are headache, starts in the back left side near occipital region moves to front above eye, temple area, moves around but mostly on the left side of face.  It was worse a few weeks ago and is slowly getting less severe.  It is constant dull ache from the moment I awake in the am.  It seems worse in the am too.  My neck still is sore right below the left occipital area.  My blood work came back a little bit high for thyroid hormone.  Dr. is sending me to an Endo for further eval.  Can hyperthyroidism be related to the headaches/neck pain.  I also have been nauseous in the am mostly or until I eat something and a bit shaky in the hands and my neck shakes when I bend forward down to the ground.  Can you give me an insight on what this could be or if I am headed in the right direction with the doctors?  I feel I should see a Neuro. Dr.?  Thanks for any adivce.  Melissa
Ok... I have thyroid issues too. I had a total thyroidectomy last month. Before all this mess I had headaches... I was told migranes (migraines) and I do have TMJ. I also have a herniated disc in my neck. Everything you described except the nauseous feeling is completely me!! It wouldnt hurt to see the Dr. I saw a Neuro, ENT and then finally went to the dentist. I have had my Endo for a few years and he said that what I was describing to him was not thyroid related. Did you have therapy on your neck? Did it help? If TMJ was rules I might look into migranes (migraines). I get them and they are exactly what you are describing on top of a herniated disc too!!

MK
Me too! Migraines for years -just been diagnosed underactive thyroid and started treatment few days ago. Been what uk docs call borderline underactive for years and they didnt treat this - my tsh been 6 for years -recently was 14. Thank goodness they treat now but now im 5 stone overweight and very miserable too! Cold all the time, and the joint pains have been awful- hoping to feel better reasonably soon, but I just thought Id say I have herniated disc in cervical vertebrae too! Maybe there is a connection with the disc and the migraines/headaches? mine sound very similar -starts in eye socket and feels like its been pushed back into my head- then moves to temporal area. Been on migrane (migraine) preventional tablets for years now and treatment ones too, they do work but I now wonder if this was all happening becos of the underactive thyroid? Maybe just maybe I will be able to come of the migraine tablets?? one can hope! Hope you get answers soon. Where I live there isnt even an endicrinologist so I have to rely on the GP who has left me untreated for years-not happy about that!
                            Kind Wishes Manxie
Thanks for your input.  Why did you have the thyroidectomy?  Was it hyperactive or hypoactive thyroid problems.  I just had a baby 4 months ago and was wondering it it can be the postpartum thyroid problems I read on the net?  I have am going to the Endo in a week or so and I will see if all my symptoms can be because of the hyperactive thyroid.  I will start PT soon for my neck, it is the base/back of my neck so I don't know how that happened.  I was doing situps the day before my headaches and neck problems started so I am wondering if I injured it somehow, but it's been hurting over a month now.  I hope the PT helps.  If the endo can't tell me what is up with the headaches I will see a Neuro next.  Thanks again.  
Thanks for your info.  What are the symptoms of a hernated disc in the vertebrae, how do they test for that?  Did you do anything to cause it to happen?  Did the headaches occur with the neck problem, or same time?  Thanks for your answer.