Thyroid Disorders Community
Help with thryroid test results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Help with thryroid test results

Can anyone make any sense of these results:  I have a lot of hypo symptoms (however I am losing weight) but elevated T3 and TSH keeps climbing.  First test was under 2.0 then second test was just over 2.5 now 3.96.  I am on no medication except iodine and thyroid glandular. Thanks.

THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES:   10
T4 1.3 (ng/dL   0.8-1.8)
TSH, 3RD GENERATION:   3.96 (mIU/L   0.40-4.50)
T3, FREE:   453 (pg/dL   230-420)

Why are you taking iodine and thyroid glandular?
Just curious. What is thyroid glandular?

This must be the week for wierd tests.
Your T4 looks acceptable.
Your T3 is about 70 points too high.
Your TSH should be falling.

Your TPOab of 10 is good.
You might want to get another antibody test, a thyroglobulin antibody test (TGab).

The supplements you are taking may be causing the abnormalities?
These two supplements you are taking should actually be reducing the TSH. As AR is saying that is weird.

On the other hand the reason your T3 is in the high range - it is b/c of the thyroid glandular. Are you buying that at the health store - or over the internet?

At this point you need to back off the iodine and the thyroid supplement for sure. More likely than not your thryoid is starting to burn out maybe due to the stimulates you are taking. I think you could be effecting other glands that can throw off your TSH too.

what needs to happen is you need to go back and get true thyroid levels taken without the supplements in you to see where your true thyroid level is.

It's like starting from scratch.
Iodine and Glandular boost/assist thyroid function.  They were "prescribed" by an ND after several tests that indicated less than optimal thyroid function.  Glandular is just an extract of the organ (in this case thyroid) from an animal source (generally bovine).  Thank you for your comments.
Thanks for your help.  I agree that another baseline should be done but I feel that there is something more complicated going on.  The initial reason for the supplements were to lower TSH however that is not what is happening.
That is because you are getting too much T3 from the thyroid glandular.

I don't think your TSH needed lowering. I think your doctor is makiing you sick. Were your T's low before he put you on a supplement and a drug?

I would take Stella's advice and start from scratch. Stop taking that stuff for a month or two and then see what your tests say.