Thyroid Disorders Community
High Blood Pressure and Hypothyroidism
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

High Blood Pressure and Hypothyroidism

I am curious if there is any relationship to hypothyroidism and high blood pressure?

I started taking a low dose of levothyroxin (levothyroxine) (25mcm) about a 3-4 weeks ago.  I just had my blood pressure taken today and it was 140 over 76.  This is very high for me since my pressure averages no higher than 110 over 75.  Could the medicine cause an increase in pressure or could it be an odd reading?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Yes, you could be getting too much medication.    Can you post your last TSH results from the lab?  
Blank
I also feel blood pressure goes up with synthroid pill. So I try to take minimum of the pill.
In a month I am supposed to see the doctor again, and he seems to be expecting my blood pressure goes up with thyroid prob.  But I do not want to take another pill for blood pressure so just try to minimize synthroid.  Continuous problems .. with aging..
Blank
Thyroid problems do cause High Blood Pressure (Even Without Meds) It also causes high Cholesterol and low Good cholesterol. Also (Due to enlarged thyroid blocking the airway) Sleep Apnia (apnea). I had all three problems prior to finding out about having Hashi's, I went to a sleep clinic because I had insomnia (also caused by thyroid) They hooked me up with all these wires and at one point (While Sleeping on my back) I did not breath in air for 59 seconds. The only reason I slept on my back that night is because I did not want to pull out the wires, but I never sleep that way at home. FTB4
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...