Thyroid Disorders Community
High Calcium and Normal Parathyroid Levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My doc said I have high levels of calcium in the blood and my parathyroids are functioning normally..
I wish I had some more information..
Currently take levothyroxine for my thyroid taken out due to pap Thyroid cancer..3 years ago
Tg (thyroilogublin) 0.5 which is indectable
But my thyroid levels - Tsh 0.18 and T4 = 24.0

What signs and symptoms do you look out for? Some fatigue, but otherwise ok..
The test you need to ask for is PTH (parathyroid hormone).  

I, personally, have a total aversion to "normal" test results because I see so many people who are supposedly "in range" or "normal" or "levels are fine", when in reality, these are terms doctors use indiscriminately......... often when they don't really want to "dig" any further.  

Just because a lab test shows levels "in range" doesn't mean you are "fine" or "normal".  It simply means you fell within that lab's reference range.  Those numbers may not be right for you. Your parathyroids are functioning "normally" --- for whom?  Maybe for someone, but, not necessarily for you...... we can't know that without lab results.

If I sound frustrated, that's because I am, but not at you.  Doctors love to use the words "normal" or "fine" - they should have to be removed from their vocabulary because they are meaningless in the medical world............

I would also be interested in knowing if that T4 result is Free to Total, and what the reference range is.  Reference ranges for most lab reports vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report.

Just for your information, Total T4 is considered obsolete and of little value. You should have the Free T4 test; in addition, you need to have Free T3 tested.  

Did your doctor check parathormone level ? Was it normal ? Please mention if additional tests were made.

Regards
check out www.parathyroid.com for signs, symptoms, diagnostics for parathyroid issues.
No additional tests were asked for.. Glucose and Cholesterol were fine..
Is the parathormone level an additional test and should I ask for it?
Thanks for the website.. Ive already seen it.. What do you make of my question though??
The level of parathormone must be checked in any patient having hypercalcemia. You mentioned that your doctor said that your parathyroid glands are fine. Did he/she do any imaging or laboratory studies related to it ?

If you are having an elevated level of parathromone and hypercalcemia, then you are having hyperparathyroidism. Muscle weakness and fatique are one of the manifestations of hyperparathyroidism.

Regards

Thanks for the reply, no imaging or lab studies were made.. As far as I know I don't have a elevated parathyroid level..
So I do I have hyperparathyroidism?
Thanks for your reply..
As far as I know my T4 is Free T4 result..
FT4 reference is (9- 19)
TSH reference is (0.4-4.0)

I did have a FT3 a while back I think it was in range..

A little confused here..
If the parathyroid is working normally and  the doc said the PTH is within range!!!

Is the calcium coming from elsewhere??