Thyroid Disorders Community
High Microsomal Ab?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

High Microsomal Ab?

I just got test results in the mail from my doctor, who tested me for a lot. I have had odd symptoms (pain, numbness, tingling, twitching, etc.) for about 5 years.  Sometimes the pain is terrible "stabbing" directly where my thyroid is located, among many other places.  When it first started I went through a battery of tests, but most everything came out normal... except for thyroid stuff. The doctors back then just said I have the possibility of developing thyroid disease in the future, but didn't seem to think it required anything further.  After accepting there might just not be an answer for my symptoms and not visiting a doctor for all of this time, I've decided to try again.  My doctor ran several other telsts, but the only oddities were my Anti-nuclear antibodies (ANA titer 1:80, pattern speckled), and my Thyroid Microsomal Ab (TPO).  My thyroid results are as follows:

T4, Free:    1.13   Range: 0.8-1.80

TSH - Ultrasensitive:   3.34   Range: 0.35-5.50

Thyroid Microsomal Ab (TPO): 122   Range: 0-35

Anti-thyroglobulin Antibody:  22  Range: 0-40

I have a follow up appointment with my doctor to discuss these in August, but I would love to gain some perspective about what this all means before then, especially regarding the Microsmal Ab.  Obviously my result is high, but how high is it relative to it meaning something?  I appreciate any input!
Your elevated TPOab indicates that you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  Hashi's is an autoimmune disease and the most prevalent cause of hypothyroidism in the U. S.  Raw numbers are not as important when it comes to TPOab.  If it's elevated, it will remain that way for life (perhaps climbing higher as the disease progresses).  These antibodies will destroy your thyroid sooner or later.

In addition, your FT4 of 1.13 is quite low in the range, and your TSH of 3.34 is actuall y above the normal range of 0.3-3.0 (your lab is using an antiquated range - most labs use obsolete TSH ranges).  Both FT4 and TSH indicate hypothyroidism.

If you want to prepare for your appointment, get all the info you can on Hashi's.