High TSH / Normal Range T3, T4 - Pregnant Wife
My wife was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s several years ago and has been treated effectively with Thyroxin.

During our first child’s pregnancy, my wife’s blood work showed her needing less and less medicine.  After my son was born she did not require treatment for a few years (although she continued with regular check-ups).

We decided to have a second child and got a check-up about 1 month before we conceived.  Her TSH was actually low at this point (.04).  But at 8 weeks pregnant (our next check) we found her TSH had spiked to 8.7 (although measures for T-4, T-3 uptake, and T-7 (FTI) were still within the “normal” ranges (respectively: 7.0, 27.2, 1.9), though lower than on the test a month prior to conception.

She was immediately put back on Thyroxin and has been closely monitored since (having her dose upped once to its current level of 88ug).  Levels seem to have stabilized and we are now going in every other month for a re-check (we are at 21 weeks).

My question is: what is the risk of impact on our child’s brain development?  The abstracts of studies I have read online give no sense of scale in terms of readings.  Are we high risk, low risk, etc. and what does that mean?  Our doctor’s are appropriately focused on survivability (which we are too), but is there a high chance that our child’s intelligence has been adversely effected by the period prior to getting back on Thyroxin?  We just want to know how worried we should be so we can calibrate our concern level.  Also, is it wise to only see the endocrinologist every 2 months at this point?

Thanks.
Any incite people can provide would be great.  My wife and I are committed to this child, but we are trying to quantify the risks since the stuff on line doesn’t really address degree.

Thanks - Worried Dad
I had the oposit problem I had Hyper thyroidism x 2 pregnancies. I took a medication that supressed my thyroid function and also the babies.  Both my children are of normal intellegence/functioning. They thyroid functioning was tested post delivery and a few times after to check functioning/levels.

I understand the stress and worry over an unborn. Nothing anyone is going to tell you is going to help. Surf the the net an look to find out when the babies OWN thyroid begins functioning. Sounds to me like your wife got back on meds prior to that time frame (if Im remembering correctly)

peace be the journey

Paja - graves - RAI

Thanks for the reply.  I don't believe Hyperthyroid poses the same risks, but I am very glad to here your kids are OK.  

I still would like more information since there are studies that can tell me more, but the abstracts available to laymen like me don't address scale – they don’t tell us if we are on the high or low risk side for impacts.

The baby's Thyroid was not yet functioning during the time my wife's TSH was high.
I would not get too worried, you will most likely just stress yourself out. I was worried to when my thyroid labs were very bad during my pregnancy.  I was diagnosed with hashimoto's just after my child was born and my tsh was 84.2.  I have worried countless hours about him.  He is 11 months now and so far completely normal.  He says 5 words now and when he picks up his toy horse he says "neigh".  I can tell that he understands me when I say "no" and gets excited when I say "daddy's home".  He is just now getting the courage to let go when standing and I can tell that he will probably take his first steps in the next few weeks.  He is slightly smaller than my other children but developmentally he is normal.  He is not too small (45th percentile) so I am guessing that his size is more related to different genes.  Has your wife had her free t3 and free t4 checked?  These numbers can tell more than just a TSH level.  The FREE levels tell how much hormone is in the body for use.  Total T3 and total T4 will not tell you this.  they measure how much hormone there is that can be used and how much there is that is already bound making it unusable.   Stay on the meds, have it checked often, ask the doctor to check free T3 and free T4 levels, TPO and TSI anitbodies,  eat healthy, avoid soy and other goitrogens.  
pls help what will we do my wife is 26 yrs and her T3- 53.89   T4- 2.60    TSH-150  she is not pregnent now.
my wife is 26 yrs and her T3- 53.89   T4- 2.60    TSH-150
hi,
your wife needs to be treated with thyroid hormone.  With this treatment she can be ok.
Hello Mr.Worrieddad711,
Would like to hear your kid is doing just fine as am sailing in the same boat as of urs.
I am pregnant (10 weeks) and my TSH level is 6. My endo scares me that my baby is at risk for low I.Q. She said that the decision of continuing with the pregnancy is something that i should consider about.
I am 22 yrs my t3 is 1.03ng/ml,t4 is6.71mcg/dl and tsh is 1.35mclU/ml is it normal for me to get  pregnant

a tsh of 6 is not terribly high.  I wouldn;t be worried about your baby's IQ at this level.  However, you do need thyroid hormone, and hope your doctor has prescribed it for you..  
I'm 8 weeks pregnant  with a tsh of 7 and normal t3 and t4, my doctor stop my medications for thyroid hormone...  is that ok.? :(