High TSH & High Cholesterol
I recently got my health check up done. My cholesterol levels are given below:

Total cholesterol = 291 HDL = 46 LDL = 186 (VLDL = 59) Triglycerides = 294

My doctor has recommended Lipitor. While going through the lab results, i noticed the following in addition to above:

T4 = 6.1 TSH = 5.631

My doctor did not talk to me about the above. I did some research and there are articles on the web that talk about the correlation between high TSH and high cholesterol levels.

My question is does high cholesterol cause high TSH or is it the other way around? Btw, there is no history of heart disease in my family. My parents have normal cholesterol levels and i am a strict vegetarian. Everything else on my lab report is normal except for the above.

Also, how do i get my TSH levels to normal range?

Hypothyroidism can be responsible for high cholestrol , not the opposite, You should go first to a Endo and check for TSH (again), free T4, free T3 and for thyroid antibodies (TPO and anti-Tg), your TSH is high, do you have other symptoms?
Perhaps the ENDO will give you levothyroxin to lower your TSH. First you should treat what is causing your high cholesterol...
I agree with estrinha.
Hypothyroidism causes high cholesterol. Your TSH result is high and indicates you are hypothyroid.

I would not take any cholesterol medication until the thyroid issue has been explored. If you have hypothyroidism and that is treated, your cholesterol will probably correct itself.

The first sign I had of a thyroid problem was high cholesterol.
First treat the hypo!!

My total cholesterol was 237 last year with a TSH between 3.5 and a high of 6. I was finally diagnosed.

My TSH is now 1.2 and my cholesterol is.....drumroll.........183.

No change is exercise or diet. My previous PCP (not the word previous) was not going to treat my thyroid unless my TSH was over 10, but he was happy to suggest a statin for the cholesterol.