Thyroid Disorders Community
High TSH & High T4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

High TSH & High T4

Here's the scores from last three tests:
Oct 07: TSH 2 & T4 in the low normal range
Dec 07: TSH 5.0 & T4 in the low normal range
Feb 08: TSH 9 & T4 2.3 (b/c this is odd he rechecked the next day and got almost exact results)
My PCP said this is odd and wants to recheck all levels in 6 weeks and then make a determination.
What could cause a high TSH and a high T4?
I'm surprised your doctor did not put you on a low dosage of thyroid meds.  Your TSH is rising and you are already hypo.  Your TSH level should be somewhere between .3 and 3.0   6 weeks is too long to wait to get on meds.  By then, you could be in a dangerous situation and might take you months to get leveled out.  I would try to find an endocrinologist or another PCP that will put you on meds a/s/a/p.  It sounds like your PCP is not paying attention to  the TSH level which is the most important in determining if your have a thyroid disorder.  I would also ask to get antibodies checked, too, but don't delay.
Do you have the reference range for the t4?
The best test is a free t4. T4 can be influenced by estrogen in birth control pills and supplemental estrogen.
The free t4 is not affected by these.
Usually the TSH is high and the free t4 normal or low.
Are you on bcp or other estrogen? Hopefully, you are female :)
thanks ifupleze and kitty9309 for replying! my step-brother is an MD and also said i should go to an endocrinologist now and not wait 6 weeks so i think that's what i'll do...i'm not sure (new to all this) about the difference between t4 and free t4 (so i'm not sure which mine was) but i'm not taking any bcb or supplements - that was one of my md's questions too. 9and i'm female, :-)