Thyroid Disorders Community
High TSH and Weight Loss???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

High TSH and Weight Loss???

Hello, I am a 36 year old, relatively healthy, active male. I began with some various symptoms of dizziness, mild weight loss (I went from about 177 to 171, I am 6'), fatigue, general brain fog and detachment, slight shakiness, and ringing in ears. I don't know if these are related, just saying this is why I went to get checked. I got blood work done before going to doctor. I got the results this morning and all was normal except tsh. It is 14.54. Albumin was 5.5 but she said that was just .4 above normal range. From everything I have read, high tsh results in weight gain, not weight loss. Any possible reasons why my high tsh would result in weight loss?

Thanks,

Danny  
High TSH indicates hypothyroidism, which is generally associated with weight gain, but it's possible to lose weight while being hypo.

If TSH was the only thyroid test that was run, you need to ask your doctor you test your Free T3 and Free T4; those are the actual, active thyroid hormones.  TSH is a pituitary hormone and should not, by itself be used to diagnose a thyroid issue.  

In addition to the Free T3 and Free T4, ask to get tested for thyroid antibodies - TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibodies), TGab (thyroglobulin antibodies), and TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins).  TPOab and TGab will confirm/rule out Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, generally associated with hypothyroidism.  TSI will confirm/rule out Graves Disease, associated with hyperthyroidism.  
Well, got my results from my more detailed panel. Here they are:

TSH 9.16 (lower than original, is this normal to have that kind of fluctuation in a two week span w/out medication?)

Thyroxine T4 6.0
T3 Uptake 33
Free Thyroxine 2.0
Thyroid Peroxidase TPO 52
Antithyroglobulin <20
Magnesum Serum 2.2

It seems everything is in range but TSH and TPO both high. Doctor said that thyroid wasn't functioning. The day my blood was drawn he went ahead and put me on levothyroxin (levothyroxine) (50) because my original TSH test. After these results (and understand, these are before medication numbers) he said he would probably need to up it, but wants to see what happens with the 50 after a month on it.

What do these numbers suggest to you?

Thanks,

Danny
well, wait a month.
TSH at 9.16 is still too high...Yes, it's normal to have fluctuation as TSH is affected by many variables other than thyroid hormones, including time of day you had the tests done.  TSH tends to be higher in the morning than later in the day...

What is the reference range for the Free Thyroxine (Free T4)?  Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report...

Your TPOab indicates you  have Hashimoto's and I agree with your doctor that your dosage may need to be adjusted periodically.  

I believe your doctor is on the right track, except that some of the tests he's ordering, T3 Uptake and Thyroxine, are outdated.  You should ask him to order Free T3, along with the Free T4 and TSH, next time you have blood work.  

You should have blood work every 6 weeks, as long as you are actively adjusting medication.  If you continue losing weight, your doctor should start checking for other causes, while continuing to maintain thyroid hormone replacement.
?